Failed TAPS MODULE 2015 Tige R20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed TAPS MODULE 2015 Tige R20

Purchased new in 11/2015 and after 20 hour service lost Taps gauge but trim tab still functions.
    Previous Tige Service Dept. attempted to repair at 75 and 150 hour service same results.
    Previous dealership retired 1/2017.

Justin at Tige had me test Ohms across white wires entering the Trim Tab Module.
    Readings 245 - 246 Ohms.
    Justin sent new Trim Tab Module.

I installed the unit Saturday morning.
    We were out for a couple minutes and all seemed correct as the Taps Gauge
    finally went from 8 to 1 upon startup.

After running for a few minutes, all systems operating normally I engaged the
    trim system and I was delighted to see the Taps gauge move to 3.
    The trim and bow of the boat seemed sluggish to respond but I was delighted to
    see the Taps gauge move for the first time since early 2016.

I attempted to engage the trim again at which time I heard a "snap" or "thud"
    type of sound and the Taps gauge immediately went to 8 and the trim and bow rise
    responded much faster after this event. So again the Taps gauge does not
    register trim tab position and gauge is again constantly pointing at 8 but trim tab still fuctions.

Frustrating and extremely disappointing as it took 2 years and numerous attempts
    to correct this issue with no resolve.

What is more troubling is knowing I want to upgrade boats in the near future,
    this will detract from the true value of this boat at trade in or private sale.
    And without a truly experienced Tige service department in my area I feel as I
    am forced to accept the present nuance and future loss.

Has anyone experienced this where the trim works correctly but does not register on Taps gauge?
    Last edited by Ironrequiem; 10-22-2018, 02:26 AM.

Check the plate movement out of the water. If its moving all the way up and all the way down without gauge movement, check the two wires at the trim tab module again for 240ohms. Strange it made a snapping noise and appears that it was still moving. Where did the noise come from, that helm area?
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Not sure where the noise actually originated from...possibly the helm but that
      would just truly be a guestimate.
      The trim plate still works as before, just not registering on gauge.

I will have to check the trim plate and verify it moves out of the water, but I
      am sure that it does since the trim plate moves in the water.

I will check Ohm and out of water trim movement this coming weekend.

Comment

Working...
      X