New purchase advise r23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New purchase advise r23

Hey guys. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted but hopefully you don’t take it personally as my Tige life has been pretty good.

I recently sold my 06 20v which we had a great ride with. Loved everything about it except the size and the fact it was just getting behind the times. I even got it to surf pretty well with the advances in ballast and side wedge technology but ime for a new boat.

A local dealer has a 2018 R23 on special. As you can imagine, they want to get rid of the ‘18s. Seems like a great deal at under $80k. It’s pretty stock w/o many options but does have the Raptor motor, Bimini, and board racks. I think I can add everything else (heater, lights, stereo). I did on my last boat.

Issue is there are other manufactures in the “entry” level arena (moomba mojo, NXT, etc) that have similar offerings but I can’t let go of my Tige bias and I’m don’t expect any different from anyone on this site. However those manufacturers come with a similar price with more options.

So given that, what issues if any should I expect from the r23? We surf and are wakeboarders at heart but surfing is what I am most interested in an obviously getting a great boat at a good price. We will have it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Issue is there are other manufactures in the “entry” level arena (moomba mojo, NXT, etc) that have similar offerings
    Unless these 2018 models are actually on a dealer's lot, brand new as in never titled and no gross dealer demo hours, its a hard comparison to make with last years models.

What are the standard feature and option comparisons?

Have you crawled around these and demoed them?

One way Tige keeps the R series as a more budget friendly model, is by controlling standard features and available options, not by using lesser quality materials or build practices. By no way saying others make cheap boats cheaply, just stating what Tige does. You can make up your own mind after looking the others over.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Unless these 2018 models are actually on a dealer's lot, brand new as in never titled and no gross dealer demo hours, its a hard comparison to make with last years models.

What are the standard feature and option comparisons?

Have you crawled around these and demoed them?

One way Tige keeps the R series as a more budget friendly model, is by controlling standard features and available options, not by using lesser quality materials or build practices. By no way saying others make cheap boats cheaply, just stating what Tige does. You can make up your own mind after looking the others over.
      I took the Moomba Craz out for a demo ride, crawled around a Supreme and MB B52. Was not impressed with the offerings of the Supreme or MB and some of the lack of otions like touch screens or interior quality. Struck them off the list. The Craz and Mojo I thought had good options and felt solid on the water. No, I haven’t talked bottom price with the dealers but it seems I can get a Mojo or Craz for close to the R 23. I totally agree that the Tige materials and build is better and like I said, I can add the options like the lights, heater, and other similar options. What I have not done is crawl around the Tige let alone ride in one. The dealer is 3 hrs away so this is really one reason I ask you guys what the R23 is like and why do you think it’s sitting on a lot. Maybe the design is getting dated by the others having a deep hull design? IDK? I do like that I can see where Tige saves money on it. You can tell it’s in the options and not the materials or glass. Moomba, not so much?

Comment

what the R23 is like and why do you think it’s sitting on a lot.
        its a z3 with less bling. Surf wave, ride comfort are proven. Both Tige and Moomba run the Raptor engines, so it would be worth checking which specific Raptor they have. The 400 would be the stock Raptor in the R23.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          its a z3 with less bling. Surf wave, ride comfort are proven. Both Tige and Moomba run the Raptor engines, so it would be worth checking which specific Raptor they have. The 400 would be the stock Raptor in the R23.
          Yep. 400 raptor. They discontinued the Z3 right?

Comment

Z3 was still in production through the 2018 model year. For 2019, they did retire the Z3 badge, but the R23 can be built base or full tilt, just like a Z3. So in a sense, the Z3 is still going.

Comment

I was going thru the same thing as you except i was looking in the 20-21' class of boat. I quickly narrowed it down to either Tige or Moomba. What i did find was could get a very optioned out 2019 in the moomba for about the same price as the 2018 R21 with good options, but not everything that i wanted. The Tige was about 4k more which doesn't matter when we spend so much on these boats.

I am still deciding myself, but kind of leaning towards the moomba build with every option included. I do love the Tige interior and layout.. its a solid boat for sure. But so is the moomba. for 2019 they are using the supra vinyl from last year and are really putting together a solid boat these days. Much more than the price tag reflects. I am able to say this because i looked at every MFG. Crawled around everyone of them. From MC, to Malibu, Axis, Tige, Supra, MB, EVERY one of them. To me the moomba was the best value along with Tige. I think alot of the others are living off the past and charging more for less quality where Tige and moomba seem to be raising quality but remaining somewhat affordable. I would have no problem being in either one of these boats. The Tige in stock wasn't the colors we wanted but could live with it.. Its a very nice boat. But to me i think you are looking at the two that make the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat1973 View Post
                I was going thru the same thing as you except i was looking in the 20-21' class of boat. I quickly narrowed it down to either Tige or Moomba. What i did find was could get a very optioned out 2019 in the moomba for about the same price as the 2018 R21 with good options, but not everything that i wanted. The Tige was about 4k more which doesn't matter when we spend so much on these boats.

I am still deciding myself, but kind of leaning towards the moomba build with every option included. I do love the Tige interior and layout.. its a solid boat for sure. But so is the moomba. for 2019 they are using the supra vinyl from last year and are really putting together a solid boat these days. Much more than the price tag reflects. I am able to say this because i looked at every MFG. Crawled around everyone of them. From MC, to Malibu, Axis, Tige, Supra, MB, EVERY one of them. To me the moomba was the best value along with Tige. I think alot of the others are living off the past and charging more for less quality where Tige and moomba seem to be raising quality but remaining somewhat affordable. I would have no problem being in either one of these boats. The Tige in stock wasn't the colors we wanted but could live with it.. Its a very nice boat. But to me i think you are looking at the two that make the most sense.
                Thanks for the input. For my price range again, it so close as it being an '18, he's being pretty aggressive with the price. After a talk with the wife, who by the way wasn't happy with me for selling our 20V, she's leaning towards the Tige and then building it like we want it. Like you too, the colors aren't perfect but that's when she chimed in with "is it all about show and matching your truck or having a good boat"? Well, what do I say to that? The dealer is also quoting me a 7 year warranty instead of the standard 5. Damn, why is this so hard? It's that close in my mind.

The other thing is this dealer is 3 hours away. I have a Tige dealer closer but I wonder about them being a Tige dealer for much longer. With a warranty, I dread having to drive 6 hours to get a boat fixed.

Comment

having surfed both the craz and z3 hull- and just picked up a z3 myself, the tige will offer a better wave than the craz all day long. all of the guys I hung with in WI were all moomba owners and they do make a good boat but if your primary goal is surfing, the tige will be a better boat over those 2 moomba offerings. I rolled with a mondo, mojo, lsv and craz owner and all of the non boat owners we rode with preferred my old 22ve wave over the other offerings for sufing. wakeboarding it would be a different story as the mojo had the best of the bunch. mojo was originally touted as a wakeboard boat but can surf.

good luck
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    having surfed both the craz and z3 hull- and just picked up a z3 myself, the tige will offer a better wave than the craz all day long. all of the guys I hung with in WI were all moomba owners and they do make a good boat but if your primary goal is surfing, the tige will be a better boat over those 2 moomba offerings. I rolled with a mondo, mojo, lsv and craz owner and all of the non boat owners we rode with preferred my old 22ve wave over the other offerings for sufing. wakeboarding it would be a different story as the mojo had the best of the bunch. mojo was originally touted as a wakeboard boat but can surf.

good luck
                    Question for you then...the dealer says it has 3,000 lbs of ballast. I don't see that as an option so intend to ask how he got that number? Wakemakers or what?

Comment

look at the spec sheet and manuf. website. I would not trust what the dealer is telling me.
                      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

As sandm said, the tige surf wake can be better. But again, your adding ballast any way you go. Get the right amount and all these boats are surf boats. The moomba may require a bit of tweaking but that doesn't bother me. Plus it has autoflow if i don't feel like tweaking. I have surfed them all and they are all good for my skill level. I would look at price and quality. Thats what's gonna matter in the end.

Comment

3K ballast in a 2018 R3 sounds about right. 800 bow and 1100 each rear corner.

We need a ballast drop-down tab to list each yr/mdl ballast offerings to keep them all straight.

Comment

Heres my take as a tech that works at a dealer that sells all the brands youve mentioned (Tige, MC, Moomba/Supra). Go for the R23. NXTs are garbage IMO, so unless you find a killer deal on an XT I woudnt shop MC. Craz and Mojo are both nice boats but as others have said the R23 puts out a better wave, just my opinion also. Honestly for the size and storage and surf, I like the Max, but I think it needs a midship bag ballast mod right out of the gate. DakotaAce is apparently stoked on his Makai, but not even sure what their price point is.

As far as issues that MAY crop up on an 18 R23....Wet Sounds amps had some issues but theyve been great about taking care of affeccted customers so its not really a worry. The M2 tower is a great tower and though it hasnt been out that long we havent seen an issue with it yet(have definitely taken an Alpha Z off for repairs multiple times). SOME Lenco actuators have failed due to water incursion, but again warranty has covered it and a DIY guy change a faulty actuator in the driveway pretty easily to avoid a trip to the dealer. Plus side is the 18 TAPS3 geometry is changed from 17 and actuators mount to transom instead of the swimdeck(much better design that has proven to perform better). Seen a SMALL percentage of 7" screens that need replaced, but the MCs are using the same Murphy screen so you arent mitigating that possibility and again, covered under warranty.

All in all the R23 hull surfs awesome with a bit of lead added and is a solid boat based on a hull design thats been on the water for years. I say DO IT!
                            Last edited by freeheel4life; 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

we went through the same thing in February... A loaded 2013 z3 or a brand new Mastercraft NXT22 for roughly the same price....

we went with the 5 year older Z3 and have never once regretted it. Even though there are some issues with the used boat, We comment all the time how glad we were that we went with the bigger boat...and especially the much more upgraded boat. We think even though the NXT was brand new it did not feel as "polished" as the 5 year old z3.

Comment

Working...
                              X