Tige r23 vs Mastercraft xt23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige r23 vs Mastercraft xt23

I will be making a decision this week on one of these two boats.
    So far I have ridden in the r23 and thought it had a good ride. I had ridden a rzx3 right before and was surprised that it seemed to be the r23 had a much better ride, was much easier to turn, and handled chop much better. Could have just been my perception though.

Both boats are loaded. This is the r23e:
    https://www.barnes-marine.com/defaul...=xNewInventory

This is the mastercraft. It is untitled but has 400 hours on it, but will include a full 5 year warranty.
    https://www.skiersmarineal.com/defau...=xAllInventory

Both boats have cool feel interior, have the mid range engine that is available and have permium sound systems etc.

Neither. Get a 2016 Z3 with low hrs.

Comment

R23 all day. I can't believe MC makes boat with carpet and that pedestal Captain's chair looks incredibly cheap. R23 is 2 years newer and no hours, no brainer

Comment

Carpet. That is something called decadence it’s really cool. I’ll look it up.

Comment

Man, both are beautiful rigs. Are you seeing a $30k difference in price as they are actually advertised? In Texas you can snag a XT23 with sub 50 hrs for that same price. That R23e seems to be optioned just as a Z3 would (loaded), and is a sweet rig, but id be hard pressed to pay $130k for a R23e. You're now into RZX territory.

I will say that wave for wave, the R23e will have a firmer, better shaped wave, when properly set up. Gen2 waves look great, but tend to be mushy. I would also be hard pressed to spend $100k on a 400 hour boat, unless it was the manufacturers top tier product line (x Series, Star, etc)

Keep us posted and holler with any Q's.
          -Brandon Lucas
          Houston, Tx

Comment

Don't get blinded by the Master Craft name, the XT boats are as bare bones as you get. Couldn't believe it when I looked in them at the boat show. I gave it a 2 out of 10 for quality and overall usefulness. So many other nicer boats then the XT.

Comment

The XT line is the middle line of the range the NXT is the lower line. I think one thing I am having a hard time getting over is the $130k boat (while loaded) is their value line. Also when I go to sell it it, I will be selling the most expensive r23 ever made and it will be selling against boats for 20-40k less.

Comment

There is a Tige dealer at my lake and Mastercraft is 2 hours away. This is a big part of my decision.

Comment

You're not paying those advertised prices are you? Seems crazy to me. If you like the performance of the R23, do what Bakes said and get a used Z3 for about half the price. Or spend that kind of money on an RZX3 like Blucas's boat.

Comment

Originally posted by ccondo View Post
                    The XT line is the middle line of the range the NXT is the lower line. I think one thing I am having a hard time getting over is the $130k boat (while loaded) is their value line. Also when I go to sell it it, I will be selling the most expensive r23 ever made and it will be selling against boats for 20-40k less.
                    So it is going to take a couple years for the R series to lose the stigma of the value line. Yes you can get a bare bone R series for a great price and is still a great boat or you can option the crap out of it and it is a Z series boat. If you like the R23 build your own and see what the cost is. I think what Tige is doing with the R series is going to give people way more options than all brands. But if you are set on these 2 boats surf both and get a feeling for the dealer they are the ones that will keep you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One other thing and this is going to sound picky, but I hate the carpeted area where the sub is on the r23. It is also one of the reasons I have ruled out the LSV line of Malibu boats. Those boats have way too much wood/carpet in them in my opinion. In the r23 at least it is only that one area. But to me it comes off looking very budget boat etc.

Comment

Is it true that the R23/Z3 needs extra weight (lead) over the installed ballast system in order to surf well? If so how much and where do you put the lead?

Comment

Originally posted by outkastmunkey View Post
                          So it is going to take a couple years for the R series to lose the stigma of the value line. Yes you can get a bare bone R series for a great price and is still a great boat or you can option the crap out of it and it is a Z series boat. If you like the R23 build your own and see what the cost is. I think what Tige is doing with the R series is going to give people way more options than all brands. But if you are set on these 2 boats surf both and get a feeling for the dealer they are the ones that will keep you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Agree on dealer relationship. It trumps brand in my experience. A boat that is sitting at the dealer not being fixed is a bad boat regardless of the logo on the side...

Comment

Seriously....I could never pay $129K for a boat that is pretty much the same as a 16 that you can get in the low 70's. I'm guessing that is MSRP. You should be able to get 20% off retail which puts it at a reasonable $103K....although that would be doubtful for a 2019 in August. Even still, I'm not convinced I would get $30K more fun out of a new 2019 at 20% off MSRP as I would a nice, low hours, well maintained and cherry 2016.

Besides...2016 are have adjustable amps, WS420, inclinometer, and gauges as well as touch screen.

And yes...you need extra lead in the back to get the Z3 to be a good surfer. Basic recipe is 300-400# of lead on each side with a 12 pitch prop to push it. That said, it surfs great with 1 bag and no lead if you list it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
                              Seriously....I could never pay $129K for a boat that is pretty much the same as a 16 that you can get in the low 70's. I'm guessing that is MSRP. You should be able to get 20% off retail which puts it at a reasonable $103K....although that would be doubtful for a 2019 in August. Even still, I'm not convinced I would get $30K more fun out of a new 2019 at 20% off MSRP as I would a nice, low hours, well maintained and cherry 2016.

Besides...2016 are have adjustable amps, WS420, inclinometer, and gauges as well as touch screen.

And yes...you need extra lead in the back to get the Z3 to be a good surfer. Basic recipe is 300-400# of lead on each side with a 12 pitch prop to push it. That said, it surfs great with 1 bag and no lead if you list it.
                              The R23e the OP mentioned has a laundry list of options that a 16 Z3 wouldnt have. Most importantly a 5 year warranty. I agree that 20% off MSRP should be doable even in August.

It sucks that you have to add Lead weight to a 100k boat to make it do what its intended to do (surf). Why dont they just put the correctly sized ballast system in it to begin with? And I realize this is true for many brands. Just never made sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X