Gas Gauge showing 100 % all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Gauge showing 100 % all the time

I have a 2011 Tige Z1 with almost 200 hours on the boat.
    Recently the gas gauge has been reading full and not decreasing. Tige touch or regular gauge showing both 100%. Any ideas?
    Thanks

The fuel sending unit wire goes directly to the engine. Follow the pair of wires from the fuel sending unit to the plug near the transmission. Unplug it. Does the gauge go to zero? If so, you have a short (wires are crossed) from the sending unit to the engine plug. The fuel sending unit could be stuck at the top as well.

If it stays at 100, it may be a pain to find. Wires from the plug to the ecm could be damaged and crossed or grounded. Then the medallion mini could have an issue (I doubt this one. Or the easy one, the gauge has an issue such as a bad connection, no power or ground or the gauge itself is bad.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

On a similar note, my RZX3 will only fill to 83% max. Shows that same percentage on the trailer at the pump and floating in flat water. The pump will click off and I'll wait about 30 seconds and then start filling again. I might get another gallon in it at that point. I have even opened the other fill cap to help vent air. I hear a lot of bubbling and gurgling going on when I do that, after the pump has stopped. Makes no difference. I'll put 3-4 hours of run time on it and it will show 50-60% full. I only ever put in 15-18 gallons at a time before it clicks off.
      Is the tank full and my gauge off, or is the tank not filling full?
      Thanks.

Comment

My brand new boat did this too. Took it back to the dealer and it was a software update. I don’t know if that’s a fix for yours but FYI.

Comment

So getting back to this gas gauge issue finally.
          Tested the sending unit last night with a voltmeter and it was reading 5 volts. Should it be reading more than that?
          Also disconnected the plug that connects to the sending unit and when accessory is turned on the gauge reads 0. When the plug is connected, its reads 100 %.
          Fuel tanks is full BTW.

Will update once the boat goes dor a couple runs with less gas in tank.

TIA

Comment

Following, just bought an 04 with a similar issue.

Comment

I have a 2013 z3 with the same issue. Have not tested anything yet. Does someone happen to have a working one that could confirm full / empty voltage readings?

Comment

Same issue in my 06 24V. Gage will begin to move after I run 27-28 gallons out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5V is full and IIRC 1V or close to zero is empty. It can also be measured in ohms. I alway just start by pulling the sender wires off and see if it goes to zero at the gauge(verify its not gauge). Then pulle sender and plug it back in and move the float manually. If it doesn't work at the gauge senders bad. If it works theres an issue with float getting stuck.

Comment

Free, your saying if you pull the sender wire off and it goes to 0, sender is the problem?

Last edited by jackfly; 06-24-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Sorry. I pull sender wire and see if gauge drops to zero because occasionally the needle just gets stuck in the gauge. Really only applies to older analog gauges though. Then I remove the entire sender from the tank and manually move float and see if gauge changes. Its preferred to run the boat some so the tank isn't full when you pull the sender.

Comment

Ahhh. Ok. When I pulled sender in wire the gauge didn’t go to empty, it just died, like when ign is off. I’ll move the float.

Comment

So just to be sure of what I’m looking at, the float is inside this tube? Can’t seem to see how to move it by hand.

Comment

So if I pull the sender out of the tank a 1/2 or so, the gauge will drop. Pull it out more, it drops more ect. Can I calibrate or just replace?

Comment

Or did the float come off?

Comment

Working...
                              X