No announcement yet.

RZ2 hard to steer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 13 RZ2 gets harder and harder to steer. I made a thread and everyone suggests replacing the cable. Some say its difficult others say it's not to bad of a job. I did my moomba a few years ago and it was a breeze. Made steering super smooth. I'll be ordering a new cable from Amazon and replacing the RZ2. Seems 19 or 20 foot will work. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so not too worried.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rz22013 View Post
      My 13 RZ2 gets harder and harder to steer. I made a thread and everyone suggests replacing the cable. Some say its difficult others say it's not to bad of a job. I did my moomba a few years ago and it was a breeze. Made steering super smooth. I'll be ordering a new cable from Amazon and replacing the RZ2. Seems 19 or 20 foot will work. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so not too worried.

I suspect you will not be able to route you cable the way it currently is in the boat without major work. The boat was assembled around the cable. I had to cut a slot in the floor by helm. Otherwise I would have had to remove all the ballast pumps and gas tank.

Try routing starboard side instead of under helm and center. That was a PITA. There are plenty of instruction threads on here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rz22013 View Post

Seems some are much easier than others, more specifically once you realize whether you have the "interference" fuel tank or not.
        larger fuel tank, take it forward into the bow and bring it back over the tank to the back of the boat; smaller tank, most can easily snake it immediately through the fire extinguisher panel.

Comment

Yes that's what I was thinking. No route for the cable

Comment

Get the sea star/teleflex xtreme cable. The lengths will differ between models. Typically a 22’ boat uses a 19-20’ cable. I know the rz2 routes the cable a bit different than my 22VE. Best bet is to Look at your cable in your boat, it will have the length marked on it.

Comment

^and get one that is a foot longer. I wish I did. Would've given me some better routing options now that I'm trying to put a sub box in the front helm.
              '

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                ^and get one that is a foot longer. I wish I did. Would've given me some better routing options now that I'm trying to put a sub box in the front helm.
                '
                The 08 RZ2 we are getting has a sub box forward the helm...thinking I should get the 21ft...

Comment

I'm a bit of a broken record on this topic, but the replacement in my Z1 was impossible, even after cutting out the floor.

I ended up routing down the starboard side of the boat, under the front leg of the ballast bag and then into the engine. This routing is actually less invasive than the previous routing (which loops through the front locker and blocks access). If you do want to go this way you need a SHORTER cable. I found the job tremendously easy compared to the stock route with no change in performance. You need to get a cable that is two feet shorter than stock in this approach.

Comment

That actually seems like a not bad idea...
                    I'm guessing you have it in a way the ballast load is not directly on it causing pressure on the cable?

Comment

No. The bag lays on it. It is strong enough to have no effect in my opinion. However there’s a lot of play in it if I wanted to route it down the inside of the compartment.

Comment

i was going to revive the how to thread, but ill ask here 1st instead...

my local dealer did not have the Tfxtreme SSC15xxx in stock, they had the SSC13xxx.
                        They said they do not stock the 15 because of complaint regarding the steering feel, it was "too" easy and people would over-correct, blah this, yada that.
                        I read through all 15 pages on the how too, I did read that everyone was happy and loved the "new boat" steering feel, being able to use only their index finger.

I myself like to feel a slight bit of resistance, I am not a huge fan of too much assist.

Any insight to the new 15's being too "loose" feeling?

Cheers

Comment

Hahaha! That’s just ridiculous, people will complain about everything! The whole idea is that it’s butter smooth.
                          Just a guess but I’d bet you can order one online cheaper than the dealer is gonna get it to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                            Hahaha! That’s just ridiculous, people will complain about everything! The whole idea is that it’s butter smooth.
                            Just a guess but I’d bet you can order one online cheaper than the dealer is gonna get it to ya.
                            Truth on both accounts,
                            dealer wanted about 260 OTD for the SSC13xxx.
                            Online the SSC15xxx was about $165.

Comment

Working...
                            X