Return of the Media Connection Error...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of the Media Connection Error...

Thought we had this fixed, and two trips out now, and two trips without music, grrr.

Quick recap -- when we got the boat new last year, had the issue that many did with the usb connection between the box and the touch screen being too tight and working itself loose. Working with the dealer, we added a usb extension, and eventually they actually replaced the touch as well, and for the later part of the season, it was working consistently.

This year, in the driveway of course, it works just fine, no error. First trip out, while prepping in the parking lot, got the error, and no amount of disconnecting/reconnecting/killing power and back on/etc would revive it.

After it sat for a couple of weeks, got it back in the driveway on Friday, everything works perfectly.

Got it to the lake yesterday, fine in the parking lot, fine for about an hour, then Media Connection Error out of nowhere, and no music. I'm not an electronics expert, but it still seems to sound like a short somewhere, or bad connection?

Just curious if anyone else has found a more permanent fix? Is there a replacement harness option? (I know the lead out of the touch is integrated into several other connections, as well as the lead out of the box, so both would have to be removed and all connections hooked back up to replace them).

Will take it back to the dealer soon, just hoping to get some ideas because I really want to get this fixed. It's a small thing, though really big deal at the same time...

Did you ever figure anything out on this? My boat is doing the exact same thing.

When u mention the box and the touch screen what are you referring to? The box up front behind the seat in the bow or?
    Last edited by ChrisBarnes05-12-84; 06-05-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hcooperrn View Post
      Thought we had this fixed, and two trips out now, and two trips without music, grrr.

Quick recap -- when we got the boat new last year, had the issue that many did with the usb connection between the box and the touch screen being too tight and working itself loose. Working with the dealer, we added a usb extension, and eventually they actually replaced the touch as well, and for the later part of the season, it was working consistently.

This year, in the driveway of course, it works just fine, no error. First trip out, while prepping in the parking lot, got the error, and no amount of disconnecting/reconnecting/killing power and back on/etc would revive it.

After it sat for a couple of weeks, got it back in the driveway on Friday, everything works perfectly.

Got it to the lake yesterday, fine in the parking lot, fine for about an hour, then Media Connection Error out of nowhere, and no music. I'm not an electronics expert, but it still seems to sound like a short somewhere, or bad connection?

Just curious if anyone else has found a more permanent fix? Is there a replacement harness option? (I know the lead out of the touch is integrated into several other connections, as well as the lead out of the box, so both would have to be removed and all connections hooked back up to replace them).

Will take it back to the dealer soon, just hoping to get some ideas because I really want to get this fixed. It's a small thing, though really big deal at the same time...
      If I recall correctly there is a pigtail from the screen and from the pigtail a USB that runs to the ICE module where the USB extension was added (unless it was extended between screen pigtail end) If that is the case I would try a new cable between the screen and your extension USB (or better, just get a full length cable and ditch the extension).
      If that doesn't resolve it I would say the ICE module itself is the issue as about everything else has already been changed out.

I like my tunes as well. Has anyone installed a WS420 BT in a TT2 or Clear equipped boat (guessing Mike has)??

Comment

Is this a USB music streaming into the ICE issue or a USB data line issue between two modules?

The ICE is a finicky bi-atch when it comes to adding a pre-amp device. With the 4-zone control built into the ICE as well as accessible through the transom remote, ID think long and hard before adding a pre-amp to a 2017 and newer ICE system.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Is this a USB music streaming into the ICE issue or a USB data line issue between two modules?

The ICE is a finicky bi-atch when it comes to adding a pre-amp device. With the 4-zone control built into the ICE as well as accessible through the transom remote, ID think long and hard before adding a pre-amp to a 2017 and newer ICE system.
          I think the media connection error is the TT2 screen and the ICE module not talking to each other. Or I guess I think that you get the pop up display at screen when it doesn't have a good connection with the ICE module. Believe simply unplugging USB at either end pops up a media connection error. So my thought is if cable is good, and screen is good, ICE module is the culprit.

With the WS420 BT I was thinking more of a bypass than integration. Haven't really put too much thought into it. Was just something that popped into my head during this thread

Comment

Leaving the ICE completely out simplifies things greatly. If you dont need tuner, USB or SAT, its easy.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

True story. We always just use phones so BT and Aux are all we ever need(also dont pick up much radio where wr boat, SAT wpuld be sweet.)Obviously bypassing factory setup isn't hcoopern's answer. My gears are just turning

Comment

Yes, this is the issue with the ICE talking to the screen -- I've tried a few different extensions, still getting the same results. The screen-side of the connection still seems suspect to me as well, however, it's all part of the bigger harness that plugs into the screen. I worry about it because it's the female end of the USB, and it doesn't have the normal rubber/plastic shrouding that a usb cable normally has -- it's exposed and a bit loose.

Modifying the systems doesn't sound like fun yet, since everything goes through the ICE.

We're actively getting ready to move to Dallas, so haven't been able to get it to the shop yet. I know that's the answer, just hate the 'make a small change and try it' back and forth that it will probably be. I would be willing to pay for a new screen harness just to rule that out completely and then let them troubleshoot the ICE.

Comment

Not having tunes seriously messes with my lake mojo. Being a fan of redundant systems, get a nice Beats Pill and keep it in the boat for emergencies. Then whenever it craps out, you still have music. I'm not sure I could leave a boat at the dealer for even a few days to find a gremlin this time of year.

Comment

When you say a few different new extensions do you mean entire run between screen and ICE module??
                    If that's the case it would seem like swapping the ICE module is the next and last step.

EDIT
                    would also verify you have current software on your screen
                    Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

There should be one usb cable from the back of the touch screen (female) and three usb cables from the ice module (only one is male). The male from the ICE plugs into the female on the screen. No extension cables. Early '17s had the cable ran too tight around the bulkhead and they would pull apart. The ICE requires a battery switch cycle to recognize the touch screen after the usb cable has been unplugged.

So in a issue like this, find where these two usb's connect. Unplug and check for corrosion. Plug back in, cycle battery switch and see if it works. If not, it could be the ICE module or the harness on the touch screen that has the USB cable.

Version of software is critical as well. Some early '17 could cause some crazy stuff, including media connection errors.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

I’m having the same 2017 RZ2 with TT2. Anyone have the latest software version for this boat? Possibly send over to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver fox View Post
                          I’m having the same 2017 RZ2 with TT2. Anyone have the latest software version for this boat? Possibly send over to me?
                          email customerservice at tige dot com.
                          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thx to everyone in this thread for pointing me in the right direction. My usb came unplugged from the front, I couldn’t see it at first because it was wrapped up in some zip ties, once I plugged it back in all was good. Much appreciation fellas

Comment

Glad yours was an easy fix! I've been too busy getting ready to move to get mine into the shop. I've tried the unplug/replug/cycle to limited effect in the past, no corrosion noted, extension added to relieve stress on the connection, extensions swapped out twice to make sure the extension isn't the cause, etc, etc.

Will get the latest software version and try that next, if no luck, back to the dealer.

Gremlins just aren't fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X