Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf Demo Mode for TAPS 3 and testing actuators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf Demo Mode for TAPS 3 and testing actuators?

Hey all. I have a new to me 2015 Z3 with Taps 3. I may have an issue with my left actuator (Goofy Side). I finally got to go out this past weekend with a decent size crew of 7 adults. The Goofy side was washed and never looked good despite a lot of trial and error with Taps and moving people around. I've previously been able to get good looking waves with my wife and two kids (9 and 14) on the goofy side with Taps at 4/4; speed at 10.8;100% ballast stbd rear; 80% port rear; 25% port front and 80% stbd front. List at 5 and 7-8 degree rise.

I want to test my actuators and saw on threads that putting it in surf demo mode helps. I had it on the rack at the marina and was by myself. It wasn't started and I didn't have the keys with me. The taps 3 actuators made noise when I switched from left to right, but didn't make any noise when adjusting the Taps 3 up/ down on either side. Also, I couldn't see any change in the taps plate position when making adjustments up/down on either side. It was in surf mode. The Center taps plate, however, was moving up and down as expected when making changes to taps 2.

So, what does surf demo mode actually do and how do you get to it? Any other recommendations on how to test the actuators?

Thanks for your help.

Too much information

Most likely it is a bad actuator.

Time for me to start sharing some information/knowledge.

Let me help you out on something first though. Update your software to this version. It will improve the functionality of the 2015-2016 versions with Taps 3. This file is only for the '15-16 models. This is my personal dropbox so TigeOwners, please don't repost this anywhere. This is not a link from the factory.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqx2qgxjfr...17.tar.gz?dl=0

Please download this file. It needs to say “update-full_Tige_HV700T_2710553_10182017.tar.gz” as the file name. If it has “()” near the end with a number, it will not install. It needs to say exactly update-full_Tige_HV700T_2710553_10182017.tar.gz

Download the file from the link above.

• Put the file on a USB thumb drive.
    • Plug the drive into the USB port under the dash at the cable from the touch screen.
    • Turn battery switch off then back on.
    • Hold the “up” arrow button on the left side of the screen and do not release.
    • Press the power button (blue button on the dash)
    • After 5 to 10 seconds let go of the “up” arrow button
    • It will boot to the update screen. Use the buttons on the right to pick the correct software. (touch functions will not work at this time)
    • Use the third button down to select.
    • System will install the updated and reboot. This takes about 3 minutes.

Go to dealer settings. It is located under "switches" then "system settings" at the bottom of the screen. Touch "dealer" and the code is 9191. Double check you options on that page. Things like heater, underwater light and taps 3. Be sure all of your options on your boat are "enabled".

You will see white text on the upper right that says "surf demo". Touch that text and it will bring up demo mode.
    Select "= Surf" and set both sides to 4. This will allow you to switch back and forth and test the actuators. Taps on 1 will make them go full stroke. Measure both sides and see if one side sits shorter than the other.

I still think you have a bad actuator though.

*added the detail that this version is for Taps 3 boats. Has not be tested on AVX models.
    Last edited by KoolAid; 05-21-2018, 10:07 PM.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks, Man. I'm going to be by the boat Weds barring any rain here in Atlanta, so I'll give it a whirl. Just a note, I got an update from Justin at Tige about a month ago and he gave me file update-full_Tige_HV700T_2710531_03012016.tar.gz. I'm assuming that the file you have is newer, since it ends in 10182017. Wonder why he wouldn't give me the newest file. Thanks again for taking time to help.

Comment

Originally posted by cdomby View Post
        Wonder why he wouldn't give me the newest file.
        I think he just did.

Comment

Even in demo mode your actuator might work fine but once in the water and ballast full it wont work. Mine is doing that on the goofy side they have ordered up a new system but wont be installed till after memorial for me.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
            I think he just did.
            Right on.

Comment

Originally posted by cdomby View Post
              Wonder why he wouldn't give me the newest file.
              If I had to guess, when you emailed me I bet you didn't tell me it was a '15 with Taps 3. Therefore I sent you the last update that supported(was tested with) AVX. I have never tested the version posted above with AVX so I wouldn't risk sending to people with AVX :-)
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks again man. Great to know you are on here and helping people out. Great Customer Service!

Comment

Finally got to the boat. I had to test in the water. Put it in dealer surf demo mode (thanks Justin). When I switch from left to right, I can hear like a zzzz sound, but neither the left or the right actuators are doing anything. I was in the water touching the plates and no movement. Likewise, when I change taps settings up and down, there is no movement. Both actuators are retracted to what feels like less than a 1/2 inch. I took it our of demo mode and just put into surf mode and same thing. Center plate works fine.

It is odd that both sides are out when both worked fine at the start of the season and there is a sound when I switch left to right, but no movement. Maybe they have water in them and are cashed? Prob a stupid question, but is there a taps 3 fuse or something related to Taps 3?

If I'm looking at replacing them with the Gen 3 Lenco actuator, does someone have the part #? I'm handy and would really like to do it myself.

Thanks guys

Comment

Did you change the surf speed to =. That was my problem, and another thank you to Jason for walking me through it.
                    Last edited by JCP; 06-12-2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                      Did you change the surf speed to =. That was my problem, and another thank you to Justin for walking me through it.
                      Sorry. Not following. How do you change the surf speed to =
                      I have messed around with the zero off speeds if that's what you mean.

Just another note. The update Justin send stalled out at the end, so I need to retry that.

Comment

When you get to the surf demo page, on the left side there is a surf speed column and you can choose: above surf speed. less than surf speed, or = to surf speed. Demo only works when set to =

Comment

Gotcha. I did not do that, so my bad. I did, however, jump in the water with the boat on (cough cough) and in surf mode, while my wife switched from left to right and went up and down with taps 3. Like I said before, when she switched sides, I heard the "zzzz" sound, but neither right nor left moved. When she went up and down on taps 3, no sound and nothing moved.

Bummed to have Memorial Day weekend and no surfing. Amazon has same day on a Lenco actuator that I could prob install, but I have no clue if it's the right one. Anyone?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0GKAS...527253160&sr=1

Comment

The Taps 3 plates do not move until you get close to surf speed. Were you at surf speed when checking?

Comment

I would suggest getting you an actuator just in case. That is the correct unit from Amazon. Better to have one on the shelf and not need it than to not have one and need it.
                              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X