Transom tie downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transom tie downs

So like the title suggests, what’s up with these newer boats coming on trailers without transom tie downs?! No wonder I keep seeing pics of nice boats on the freeway!
    RZ2 now Z3 both without transom tie downs. In my experience I wouldn’t want to trailer without them. What’s you guys take? Your boats come with them or did you add them? Is it an option when ordering new and if so WHY?! I know you can buy them and add to most any boat but most of the new boats I’ve seen including my relative dinosaur of an 07’ came with ratchet straps attached. (Which are sweet)
    My boys new 16’ Z3 has taps 3 and the spot the brackets are welded on to the trailer there is no way they would ever work. Boatmate trailer.
    Curious what others are running into out there.
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 05-17-2018, 06:11 AM.

My 2014 came with the retractable straps and the new 18rzx trailer only has the hooks, as apparently they aren’t standard. I’ve been meaning to order some but in the meantime I’ve been using just the basic ratchet straps.

Another thought being these boats are so heaby it’s more to keep the trailer on the boat in an accident. You

Comment

Crazy to me a boat that expensive doesn’t come with standard trailering safety gear. Talk about skimping on basics. Three points of attachment should be standard if you ask me. I get they're heavy but unfortunately heavy stuff still bounces.
      I’ll post a pic of the Z3 trailer tomorrow.

Comment

These giant boats weigh exactly zero at the apex of a bounce. Not using tie downs is just plain old stupid IMO. The problem now is that the new surf systems are getting in the way of using them. I would think that manufacturers would absolutely have to design around this problem. Is this not law? It certainly should be.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Some trailer manufactures offer the bolted on retractile as an option. Other wise, id say its up to the buyer to supply his own.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There is a theory that the rear tie downs make it more dangerous in a collision. I don't know, but It has been discussed on here before.
            I use the retractable rear tie downs on mine.
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

My old 2000 MB DD didn't have tie downs but I did install a set of retractable ones that most of the newer trailers have. I did tow for years without them but as I got older and hopefully wiser I installed them and use them all the time. I would think in an emergency situation you would want your boat anchored to your trailer as much as possible.

The only thing is on my VE that I don't use the hooks up above the swim platform as the strap rubs on the edge of the stern so I clip on to the bottom of the swim platform bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                The only thing is on my VE that I don't use the hooks up above the swim platform as the strap rubs on the edge of the stern so I clip on to the bottom of the swim platform bracket.
                That’s what I’m thinking I’ll have to do on my boat when I put the slappers on. Not a problem as the transom on my boat is way over built and those brackets are thru bolted.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                  There is a theory that the rear tie downs make it more dangerous in a collision.
                  How so?

Comment

Again, I use my rear straps 100% of the time.

The thought is that in a high speed collision, the straps will only hold the straps long enough to direct the boat missile at your head with all that built up energy. Maybe they think it will roll to one side or the other if it doesn't have rear straps but is connected to the front only? IDK

It was also brought up we should have a chain up front as well. I do not have one of those. Not sure how many do? I think what we all have, works for low speed bumps, accidents and avoidance procedures, but are inadequate for high speed situations.

I thought there was more discussion about this before, but I was able to find one old thread with some good pictures of the problem.
                    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show....php?8552-oops
                    Last edited by TeamAllen; 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I looked into back in 2016 when I bought the RZ4. Even though my dealer told me they weren't needed. i didn't like not having anything holding the back down. I found a lot of those retractable tie downs didn't have the rating to do much in the event of an accident. I ended up going with some HDX brand ones from Home Depot for about $10 a piece. They are my go to for everything else. 10k lb rating. Are they pretty? No. But they will actually hold the boat in the even of an accident. I will say though, I only put them on for longer trips. I never use them towing around town.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

I don't think the point of the tie downs is to do anything magical in a crash. That boat will do what it wants in an accident, whether or not it takes the trailer with it. The issue is the boat will hop around on the trailer and eventually get seated funny on the bunks. It could also damage the boat or trailer over time. To me that would be the issue here. So yes, I would want tie-downs for sure.

Comment

Im a firm believer in using them. I have a pair that travel with me when I pick up a boat, just in case there are none. I also have an Oh-$h1t chain for the bow eye that I can put on when there is not one.

Although transom straps can or might break in a crash, I do believe that will eat up some of that momentum prior to napping, lessening the movement of the boat. A bow eye might rip out, but some energy is going to be depleted prior to that point.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I mounted a safety cable for the bow eye on mine.

Thread- http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ler-mod-thread

Comment

I’ve seen boats sitting on the trailer a lot differently after a road trip than when they were first loaded after a ride without transom straps. I wouldn't want to chance it with my boat for the sake of $50 in straps. I’ve always had straps and never had an issue.
                              Boats definitely bounce around on the trailer. It seems that most agree with me that 3 points of contact should be standard. To me, these high dollar boats deserve proper tie downs.
                              Here’s my boys z3 on boatmate. Not set up for it at all.
                              If you zoom in you can see the welded on bracket below the right TAPS 3 plate. No bueno

44006A82-005B-4B14-8B61-E3F4CFEFCA5E.jpg
                              Last edited by Jetdriver; 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X