Raptor knocking noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor knocking noise.

Looking for advice. 2016 RZX with the Raptor 440 at 150 hrs. I am getting a very loud knocking noise and I tracked it down to the throttle body. The dealer is a 3 hr ride one way. I wanted to see if anyone else has delt with this issue. It is loud enough to hear from the front of the boat at idle. I will post a video.

https://youtu.be/X89a31Bl45s

Thanks!

Eric.

Any active or stored fault codes in the screen's engine diagnostic menu? I'm not an Indmar tech so I would hate to give you bad suggestions.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

No codes.

Just a very loud knocking. The motor runs good. It’s definately comming from the throttle body servo.

Eric

Comment

That is odd. The way the plate is bouncing with the noise I wonder if it is the stepper motor or the linkage between the plate and stepper motor. Is it only at idle or at all RPMs?? Does it do it at all key on engine off??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          That is odd. The way the plate is bouncing with the noise I wonder if it is the stepper motor or the linkage between the plate and stepper motor. Is it only at idle or at all RPMs?? Does it do it at all key on engine off??
          Only engine running.
          Idle and low throttle settings. I don’t notice it above maybe 1/8th throttle but maybe I just can’t hear it any more. The knocking is pretty loud.

Thanks.

Eric.

Comment

As far as engine knocks go I'd rather hear that one than some others.

With the engine off, can you push on the butterfly inside the throttle body? Any slop in it? I just sounds loose as it closes and hits up against the stop.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
              As far as engine knocks go I'd rather hear that one than some others.

With the engine off, can you push on the butterfly inside the throttle body? Any slop in it? I just sounds loose as it closes and hits up against the stop.

It moves freely. No codes.

It’s just annoying as hell as everyone who gets in the boat thinks I’m about to throw a rod.

I’m an aircraft mechanic so I’m not framiar with this throttle body design. I doubt it’s working correctly but thought I’d search a simple answer.

Eric

Comment

If your stepper motor is doing it's job I don't think plate should move it you push on it manually. One thing that may be worth trying...(I may be totally wrong here) but if everything is working correctly you should be able to key on and leave engine off. Press the little black button next to your throttle handle and hold it. Now shift forward. The blue LED should light if you've now achieved "Neutral" with throttle DBW enabled (let's your rev motor in neutral while engine is running).
                If you get this far the throttle plate should respond now to your commanded throttle at the handle. Move throttle handle back and forth and see if throttle plate and motor replicate the same noise with engine off. You should be able to physically see the plate moving with K and N off during this whole test.

Again, could be tripping but as far as I know there's no reason the DBW wouldn't function with ignition on engine off....

Comment

thats crazy. If you close your eyes, it sound almost like an old school SB chevy with a bad exhaust cam lobe pop back through the carb.

Can you put a finger on the plate and hold it? is the cause of the noise moving the plate or is the moving of the plate a source of the noise? In other words, if you stop the plate from moving, is the noise still there?
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    thats crazy. If you close your eyes, it sound almost like an old school SB chevy with a bad exhaust cam lobe pop back through the carb.

Can you put a finger on the plate and hold it? is the cause of the noise moving the plate or is the moving of the plate a source of the noise? In other words, if you stop the plate from moving, is the noise still there?

I have not held it but I will and report back. It’s way louder than I could imagine. I saw one thread on another forum that they replaced the throttle body under warrantee. I’ll probably need to make the 3 hr drive to the dealer. Sucks as that’s 12 hrs driving total but how it goes.

I really appreciate the replies.

Eric.

Comment

Why not just send your dealer the video and let them decide. Maybe they would send you a new TB and you could swap it out. It's an easy job.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                        Why not just send your dealer the video and let them decide. Maybe they would send you a new TB and you could swap it out. It's an easy job.
                        I thought the same thing.... I called and asked, they said I have to bring it in. My neighbor with his 2 year old Nautique had a minor problem and the dealer drove out and delt with it under warranty. I’m aware all dealers are not equal....

I feel your advice was good but they won’t play ball.

Eric.

Comment

Raptor knocking noise.

They all do it. I know this seems strange but I think it’s normal. My 400 did the same thing. I also got a bit freaked out. There was no codes either and it runs fine just makes that noise at idle or low low speed.

I had same video. Sorry deleted it as this was my concern from last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by robricketts; 05-14-2018, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post
                            They all do it. I know this seems strange but I think it’s normal. My 400 did the same thing. I also got a bit freaked out. There was no codes either and it runs fine just makes that noise at idle or low low speed.

I had same video. Sorry deleted it as this was my concern from last summer.

I saw on another forum that they had this issue and replaced the throttle body. The new one did not have this noise.

Did your dealer sign off on it? Seems odd that a $30k motor has such a noise at idle. I did not hear it with other raptors on the lake but maybe it’s no issue. Glad we have the forum.

Thanks for your reply.

Eric.

Comment

Yes they did. Take it in see what your dealer says. This was on my 2016. I have since traded it but it was like that entire second season or from when I noticed the click sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X