Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski Eye Strength

Hi all -

We’re thinking of picking up a 3-person tube this year as we’ve seen lots of them on the water and they look fun.

I would never tow a tube from the tower, but now I’m wondering how much load the ski eye can take? “Everyone is doing it” on the lake still doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies about dragging around 600lbs + the added tension on slingshot turns and such.

Any cause for concern? Or am I being paranoid?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3-person that I pull with lower tow point and no issues. You could look behind it to see how well its backed to give you peace of mind. Other option is getting the double hook so you can attach to back lifting rings which is the strongest point on boat....you can suspend the boat in air by those so it take take anything you can throw at it with a tube if your worried about tow point. Yea....never from tower. I see people do that all the time on lake, mind blown

Comment

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
      I have a 3-person that I pull with lower tow point and no issues. You could look behind it to see how well its backed to give you peace of mind. Other option is getting the double hook so you can attach to back lifting rings which is the strongest point on boat....you can suspend the boat in air by those so it take take anything you can throw at it with a tube if your worried about tow point. Yea....never from tower. I see people do that all the time on lake, mind blown
      Thanks for the insight. Makes me feel a bit better now . Interesting thought on the lifting rings... are you referring to where the straps connect when tying it down to the trailer?

Comment

before you buy the 3 person tube take a look at wakesledz. We bought 2 of these and got rid of the tube instantly. Kids always submarine tubes and I'd hate too know how much stress that puts on the boat..... + tubing is like sitting on a couch zero effort. With the wakesledz we put 3 year olds on them (they float unlike kneeboard so younger kids are ore comfortable sitting on the wakesledz knowing it won't tip them) and when we take a break from surfing (90% of the time) the kids have a ton of fun battling and spraying each other. Adults can go on them too but won't last as nearly as long as kids due to back and knee positioning. Other good thing with these is you can go drive the boat in a straight line 90% of the time unlike tubbing were you need to be turning and wiping 99% of the time for the kids to have fun. These are not like knee boards, no strapping in and no holding handles so all the rider does is steer, jump the wake and spray the other rider. I highly suggest getting 2, 1 is pretty boring.

Comment

To second what Robmc said about tubes I’d check out one of the rad disks. Just a more active way of going tubing. Personally I just don’t like having the driver in control of what is going to happen on the tube.

Comment

Wow! Never seen wakesledz/rad discs before. Definitely going to have to try these out! Thanks for the rec!

Comment

ZUP board is another very fun board for kids learning. They include a special handle so they do not have to hold onto rope but also have the option to grab it, its bouyant and easy for kids/older folks to lay down, kneeboard and then learn to stand up...they can learn to surf it too. My girls love it. Only downside...its pretty heavy, guessing about 20lbs. This pic (actually taken yesterday) is how I store it to keep it out of the way (these tower racks are custom made by Corson Piper...CorsonPiper at gmail dot come) and they are also the best thing I have found for custom surf boards to hold them without damage. I have a tall tower and bimini goes over it (so protects boards from sun too), some people mount them over tower or on side.
              My kids rarely tube anymore and much prefer to ride the ZUP, we really only take the tubes when we are taking their friends out or new people who have never done anything else and are not keen to try new things. Personally hate tubes but the boat is about family time so I do it when they want it.
              Attached Files

Comment

We have used the tower to tow pretty much everything behind the boat. I like to have the rope up out of the water. While tubing, I grab the rope and give it a pull quite often. There is very little taughtness in the rope. And never anywhere close to the load a wakeboarder puts on the tower.

Comment

Too bad wake world is still down,perfect topic for there. Lots of members over there would be more then happy to share their thoughts on pulling tubes, your Tige and surfing!
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We have towed three 3 person tubes at a time for years with 8-10 people ranging from teens to adults. Never had an issue. We did it with ski eye on a Sea Ray 210 for a long time now with our RZR from ski pylon for 6 years. Tubes submarine kids leaning and "driving" the tube lots of tension never an issue.

That is not to say it wont fail a friend of mine had his ski eye rip out on his Chaparell. There was no backing plate at all it was only through bolted. Our Sea Ray had a backing plate and on our RZR also has a reinforced backing thru bolt.

With all of that keep an eye on it because it is a lot of force and stress and can fail. Youtube it and you will see.

Comment

We pull a three person couch occasionally, easy way to get the littlest kids out there. I pull it from the ring on the back, it's submarined once at about 8mph with no ill effect. I also use a bungee tow rope -- it's fun when you do want to whip them, and it takes some of the stress off the rest of the time, I don't feel any yanking from the tube at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X