Windshield Tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Tint

To tint or not to tint...that is the question?
    Pro's?
    Con's?
    Thanks in advance

Blondes or brunettes?
    Pro's?
    Con's

Comment

I did 20% and I use my boat at night a lot also but I wouldn’t go darker if you plan on running after dark
      surf till u die.

Comment

Maybe its just me but I'm always looking over the windshield vs looking thru it so I don't really understand why someone would pay for something they don't even look thru.......maybe if I had a cruiser type of boat but I'm sitting up 99% of the time watching who's surfing/wake boarding/tubing/wake sledding/body surfing/knee boarding/swimming/jumping off the boat/skiing (haven't tried bare footing yet but I'm sure some day, someone will want to give it a go) etc and almost zero just driving around but would love to hear why its needed.

Comment

I did it cause it makes my boat look even sexier with my black hull....not to mention that it keeps some of the extra heat off the dash/vinyl, which has to be a good thing for it.
          I did 20% as well, but am always on bolster when driving as I feel more comfortable when looking over the windshield since we are on a busy lake with more dumba**es than I care to admit, basically have to drive my boat like I do the motorcycle....like everyone out is there is trying to kill me

Comment

Mines tinted. As others have said, I’m always looking over it anyway. Not once have I regretted doing it. Just looks so good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            BABz - babzusa.com
            Austin, TX

Comment

I love tinted windshields, definitely helps the dash and gives you some sun protection at certain angles.
              I’ve been turned down by three tint dudes because they think my 22VE is “too difficult” to tint. Frickin girly men
              My local Tige dealer, WWS aparently has a guy but he hasn’t returned my call. Guess I just have to show up, boat in tow and stage a sit in!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                I love tinted windshields, definitely helps the dash and gives you some sun protection at certain angles.
                I’ve been turned down by three tint dudes because they think my 22VE is “too difficult” to tint. Frickin girly men
                My local Tige dealer, WWS aparently has a guy but he hasn’t returned my call. Guess I just have to show up, boat in tow and stage a sit in!
                Have you called http://alpinegraphicsdenver.com/boat/ denver? Looks like they do a lot of WWS installs and think they even do some tint on G's for Action Watersports

Comment

I'm like most and look over the window also so am planning 30-35% on my next boat.

I like the heat reduction factor on the dash and touch screen. We usually cover the dash and screen with a towel when coved out to help protect it and reduce heat.

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                    Have you called http://alpinegraphicsdenver.com/boat/ denver? Looks like they do a lot of WWS installs and think they even do some tint on G's for Action Watersports
                    Steve at Alpine was one of the three. Last summer he said that Alpine isn’t doing tint on boats anymore, not economical for them.
                    Thanks for the suggestion though JLG.

Comment

I had this problem here too. Ending up going with a place called tint world. Honestly they didn’t do a very good job. It needs to be redone.

BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

Generally when surfing or other tow activity I'm also looking above the windshield. The trip from the launch and home run, however, are all looking through the windshield and often with sun setting and in my eyes as our local launch is on the west side of the lake. Here the extra tint on our windshield helps, especially to cut the glare coming off the water.

As for looks, it's a no-brainer. I think think some level of tint makes any boat look better.

I can't recall the % tint but it's somewhere in the middle. Tint % vary depending on the film used. I used the same UV Tint that we did our cars in. Didn't even think about the added benefit to the dash.

One bit of advice, chose a tint shop that has a door and shop large enough to accommodate your boat. Since I used the same shop that did our cars I didn't realize until after we scheduled that their roll up door is not wide enough for the trailer. They had to tint outside making the job take forever and they had a very hard time controlling dust. As such there a few spots in the tint were we have small pimples. Only I know about it, but eventually I think they will bubble.

Most tint shops today use a CNC cutter for cars. They plug in year and model and it cuts a perfect piece of film every time. Boats are 100% done by hand which takes a long time. Curved glass like on MBs makes it very challenging.

Bottom line, it will cost about $600-700 for a good tint job, but chose your shop wisely.

It's well worth it!

Comment

Steve at Alpine was one of the three. Last summer he said that Alpine isn’t doing tint on boats anymore, not economical for them.
                          Thanks for the suggestion though JLG.
                          Wow those guys are good and if they aren't doing boat tint anymore due to revenue losses it would be difficult to find someone in Denver. Know the guys at Action have a guy that can do tint still and he charges $700 for the curved boat windows. Not sure who he is just asked about doing mine and that's what they quoted me. Said he sometimes removes window to install.

Comment

JLG-yea, I’d heard good things about them and the owner Steve is a cool guy. When it comes to wraps they are on it. Bummed I couldn’t get them to tint.
                            $700 is ridiculous for tint that costs $less than a bill. I get that the 2 sections of the front window are curved and it makes it harder. The other 3 are supper easy. I’m about to just say screw it and do it myself. I’ve tinted a vehicle before and it’s not hard work by any means, but there’s technique and you have to be precise or it looks like crap. If it something I can get done affordable, great if not then I’m all in.
                            I learned by watching YouTube, as with a ton of other stuff. The web is pretty great that way.

Comment

The RZ4 has the curved glass. When I wasn’t satisfied with the first job, I did a lot of research on the curved glass tint job. Turns out it is much much easier to take the glass out yourself and have the shop do it. Although if I remember correctly, I decided to just keep the bad tint job until it was unbearable for me to look at. If you have the curved glass, I would think about taking it out.

BABz - babzusa.com
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X