Bad 3m 5200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad 3m 5200?

I recently put an FAE on a friends boat and also did the TAPS plate mount for the FAE on my boat. He used a 5200 from Wakemakers to secure a couple of hatch rims into his bow for ballast bag and pump access and it’s still wet after 2 weeks. I used 5200 from west marine for both FAE applications and it’s been almost 2 weeks and it’s still not cured. Its supposed to be totally tack free within 48 hours at the longest. I’m wondering if any one else has encountered this. I’m thinking they made a bad batch.

Mine cured in 48hrs when I had my FAE installed...doesn't sound normal

Comment

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
      Mine cured in 48hrs when I had my FAE installed...doesn't sound normal
      Yea, I installed some thru Hull fittings in a friends 22V last month and it seemed it was already drying to the same point in several hours. I’m just wondering if this crap is gonna cure eventually or if I’m gonna need to redo it.
      Not sure if I have any recourse at this point but I just wanted to make others aware. I’m gonna call Wakemakers and go into the West Marine down the street.

Comment

It should have been way cured by now. Boatlife life seal is what is used at the factory. Really good stuff. We have used it since the late 90's.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

I forget the name of the stuff I used, but Chpthrl included some good stuff in the ballast kit he put together for me. He may be able to chime in as I don’t recall it being a 3M product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A Boatlife below waterline product is what I use for ballast, underwater lights and all other general applications. It tacks in a few hours and generally cures in a 24.

The standard 5200 can take a while to sure, which is one reason I dont like it. The other is that its got a horrible shelf life. That crap will cure in the tube and gets tossed. 5200 fast cure is good if you dont need a long assembly time or plane to finish the product in a few hours. Again, it can cure in the tube and be done. You can get the fast cure in a 1 oz tube, which is great for small one-time jobs, like an FAE.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks guys, I’ll be switching to boatlife for my new underwater lights

Comment

Should I get the Boatlife caulk or sealant?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                  Thanks guys, I’ll be switching to boatlife for my new underwater lights
                  Oh god yes, dont want to use 5200 on lights.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

5200 is "permanent" bond....very hard to get off without breaking something. 3M has some others that are "semi-permanent"....thing its the 4200. I read up on it a couple months ago but dont remember the exact specific's. Boatlife sounds tried and true for lights, just putting it out there for anyone using the 5200, you only wanna use that stuff if you have no plan to remove it later

Comment

If you have to remove something put on with 5200, it can take the gel coat with it.

The thing about a proper below waterline sealer, like the 4200 or the boatlife I like to use, their sealing properties are the same. Once set and cured, 5200 does not "seal" any better. 5200 has that extra level of adhesiveness. This can be an advantage in some applications, but not many. Based on some info from FAE, this extra adhesion from the 5200 is exactly what they are suggesting. Beyond that, any below waterline marine sealer will seal just the same.

Comment

Regular white 5200 will take 5 days to sure where the fast cure 5200 will cure in 24 hours.

Comment

4000 fast Cure UV is what I use. Love the stuff.
                          Germaine Marine
                          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

What do you guys recommend for tracking fins? I'm about to put 2 more on my Z3. I was planning on using regular cure 5200.

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                              4000 fast Cure UV is what I use. Love the stuff.
                              J, does a guy actually cure it with a UV like other epoxys??

Comment

Working...
                              X