Z1/R21 Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z1/R21 Prop

Does anyone who owns a 2017/18 R21/Z1 run a 15" prop?
    Would it even be an option?

Originally posted by KEH View Post
    Does anyone who owns a 2017/18 R21/Z1 run a 15" prop?
    Would it even be an option?
    The Acme 2419 is our standard prop for elevation/weight. It is 15x12. It comes in the boat from Tige and we simply put it on. There's also some steeper pitches 15" wheels like the 2249 and 2247 that some may be able to weigh in on.
    What prop do you have now?? If it's a 537 you can't go wrong going bigger and flatter if surfing is your #1
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-24-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I think a 1235 is plenty for a slammed Z1. I tested mine out with the 1235 (14.5") last summer and even with loaded ballast all around and a suck gate dragging on the side, it purred along nicely. And that is with the smaller PCM343 engine. I'd see no reason why anyone would need to go to the 15" unless you happened to already have it.

Comment

About to close the deal on a 2018 R21 which is coming with an upgraded 1235

I'm trying to decide between keeping a 2775 (original) or a 2247 (upgrade) on my boat when I trade in.
        Which prop would be the best to keep and try?
        Or maybe I should just plan to sell whichever I keep and put the money towards a spare 1235?
        Primarily surfing.
        Last edited by KEH; 04-24-2018, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I agree with JohnnieMo, unless you’re only surfing and hauling a crap load of weight the 1235 is perfect. I’ve got 1 on mine and 1 as a spare. It does everything pretty well, no issues hauling lots of weight at altitude and it also cruises at a good clip without running RPMs too high.

Comment

What kind of elevation are you going to be boating at?
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Between 1000-2500'

Comment

I think the 1235 will serve you well. But, I would keep 2247 as an upgrade (more aggressive) to the 1235. IF buying a prop, I would not get the same prop as a backup. Money is better spent on one thats an upgrade , and keep the original as the backup.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I was pretty much set on keeping the 2247.
                  Was mostly wondering if 15” prop would actually fit an R21 (trailer clearance/prop burn etc) and if it would be ok given the tranny. I remember needing to consider all those issues when I upgraded the previous time.

Comment

Guess I'm confused, partly because I don't know what you are trading, but you state you are keeping a 2775 (which is already a 15" wheel) or upgrading to 2247 (also a 15 inch wheel) The 2247 is a bit steeper and will probably net you a bit more top end speed. The 2775 I basically a 2419, just a half inch steeper pitch.
                    To re-iterate there are a bunch of 21' Tiges that we propped with 15' wheels and have no issues clearing prop guard or causing any prop burn. Rolling on boatmate trailers.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.
                      I’m trading in a 16 Tomcat that originally came propped with the 2775. I found it to be a bit over propped for my elevation so I swapped it out for the 2247 (got some rpm back)
                      So now I have the option to keep one or the other.

Comment

Unless you plan on running tons of weight and surfing all the time I would keep your 2247.

Comment

I assume then you would swap out the 1235 for the 2247?
                          We do mostly surf, with a bit of recreational wake boarding.
                          I have 400lbs of lead to throw in the boat, but don't plan to add tons more depending on the surf wave it puts out.
                          Appreciate all the input!

Comment

Id start out with the 1235 thats coming on it. IMO, the 2247 is the milder of the two you have with the old boat, but still a bit more aggressive to the 1235. I think the 1235 will do you well, but if a time came that you needed the spare, the 2247 would be a down grade in hole shot and speed holding while weighted. Not worth the $600 to have a 2nd 1235 .

Comment

2419 sounds like overkill on a 21 foot boat. I had one on my Z3 and hated it since it kept the RPMs up there and I tend to live at 20-32MPH rather than 11-22MPH like most. That said, if your running really heavy weights with large crews at 8000-9000 feet then it might be OK. For reference, I run an OJ 948 (15" x 14 pitch) and find it just right. Great slalom hole shot, still surfs with full ballast and 500lbs extra and cruises at reasonable RPM. For some reason my 2247 with a 14.25 pitch loses a lot of hole shot, esp with a bit of a crew in the boat, compared to my 14 pitch OJ prop of same diameter. I got a 13 pitch OJ that I will use for our Grand Lake 4th of July trips this summer (8300 feet)

And a shout out to OJ props. Absolutely best customer service I have ever seen bar none. Acme makes great props as well but I'm OJ for life as they also make incredible props and their customer service is truly over the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X