21v engine cover thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v engine cover thing.

This is a pretty simple project for anybody wanting to rebuild the engine cover thing that holds the ballast locker walls along the top edge of the 21v. There’s a few different variations depending on the year of the boat. This one is the most basic. There’s all kinds of things I/you could add to these. I just kinda zapped this one together but its already way stronger than the original, which in this case has completely failed. The carpet is the only thing holding it together.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

New one. All 1/2” marine ply. The whole thing is 36” x 36”. Opening is 17” x 29 3/4” x 4”. Divider legs are 36” x 1 1/2”. I decided to dado the inner legs into the main deck 1/8” for a little extra strength and ease of assembly. It’s in prep stage still. Apparently my brad nailer is a POS as it kept jamming. That and I was running 1 1/4” brads in 1/2” marine. Blow out central. No big deal other than a bit of fill and sand. I’ll wrap that up this week and hopefully get it sprayed with truckbed liner by Friday. With a little luck it’ll even fit. I’ll update when it’s done.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

You could try this while you are doing it.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...23V&highlight=

Comment

I just built pretty much the same thing for mine. (2000 21v) I did do mine a bit different but while you have in build I recommend putting a couple coats of West System on it before you carpet. It is wood and will deaerate over time with water involved. The West System will make it like fiber glass covered plywood. Just not UV stable, So you would need to carpet after. The nice part about West System is if you can count and paint you can use it with out much mess. I think Resin 105, Harder 205, Pumps, would cost around $125 bucks. I think that is cheep price to pay to make your craftsman ship last forever. Really nice job.

Comment

gumby- can you post a picture of your cover?

Comment

I don't think i have one. Mine looks the same as yours with the exception of the top. I made mine out of teak. So I didn't have to carpet it. Example P/T plywood 2 or 3 coats of West System, carpet then put my teak compartments on top of carpet.If that makes sense.I wanted 3 compartments.One down each side and a big one up front for grill tools. I didn't want to carpet the teak, lots of advanced upholstery skills needed to make that look good IMO. But I am good with wood. If I did have a pic I don't know if i have the skills to post them.LOL. Like I said I am good with wood. I did use west system on the teak. Then I used exterior poly on top of of the W.S. Like i said it is not UV stable. Top coat is necessary if it will be exposed to sunlight.

Comment

Forgot to mention I used WS on the top and bottom and most important the end grain. That is where the rot will start. I kinda look at it like this. The pads above don't line up over top of the of the lower piece you just made. So any water that gets on the ski lockers and engine cover drips down through the seam on to the piece you just made. It has moisture holding carpet on it and is horizontal, so will drain slowly. Worth protecting IMO. I get a lot of water on my sun pads (little kids, and the DOG worst offenders). I use WS on a lot of stuff, anything need protection from water. I just finished the upholstery in the boat yesterday.I used WS on the back of all of the seat backs (they are wood) the entire floor under the carpet (wood) new carpet now,and the bottom of my swim platform. That is some of the boat uses.I have used it on exterior columns,facia, etc. I could go on and on but it is not limited to boats at least for me. In my profession I deal with a lot of wood outside. Also I am not affiliated with them, I just have used there product and like it because it is easy to use.

Comment

Working...
              X