Wanting to buy a place at Lake of the Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to buy a place at Lake of the Ozarks

Im going to be looking at buying a place at LOTO. Actually going there this weekend to look at a place close to Millers Landing at MM 28. I've also been around Captain Rons a few times and out towards MM 47 area. Primary will use for weekend trips for now as I live in Wichita KS.

Would like opinions on areas like the Niangua and Little Niangua arms as I have seen a couple places going that direction. One of the places is on the Niangua south of Hwy 54 bridge around MM 14. Any Marinas, Restaurants on the water along those arms?

Another place I've never been is up on the Gravois Arm or the dam area? Whats it like?

I know the whole lake gets busy on weekends and very busy on holiday weekends but maybe staying off the main part will help with being able to surf some in the mornings and evenings.

Thanks in advance for information, opinions and ideas.

I hear there is one cabin there that the walls are full of money, the pontoon on the boat is now empty!

Comment

Originally posted by Shockthis View Post
      I hear there is one cabin there that the walls are full of money, the pontoon on the boat is now empty!
      Haha!

IM me and we can trade phone numbers. I have a place on the Grand Glaize Arm in the state park, and my boat spends most of the summer there. Jeff S.@ PerformanceLOZ has a place near HaHa Tonja and can better speak for that end of the lake. @JLG usually makes a few trips to the lake each summer and might be able to help too. The Dam area is a little quieter than it used to be. The main channel does get busy/crazy/sloppy, but you can usually find quiet time/places even on holiday weekends.

Comment

I have a place at the 42MM. I wouldn't want to be up around the 28, just gets crazy busy on the weekends. Up the niangua or little niangua arm will be better for less boat traffic. There are plenty of places around the 31MM to eat. If you want some calmer water get a place up around the 55-65MM, less places to eat on the water but you can actually ride on the weekends mid day if you want.

Comment

Like most topics I think you’ll find some varied opinions. Yes, LOTO can be a busy and rough lake anywhere between the dam and the ~38mm (including the various arms) during peak weekend summer times. However, you can definitely find good boating and water sport conditions plenty.

I’m up the Gravois and there are several good spots, especially if you’re willing to surf before 10 or after 6 on the weekends. We also take a lot of Monday’s off during the busier part of the summer - Sunday evening and Mon morning surfing is great.

We checked out and stayed on many different lakes, small and large, in the Midwest when we were looking and realized LOTO gave us a little of everything.

Same as 007, feel free to IM me - more than happy to talk through the Gravois Arm and north shore with you if you have interest in that part of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not Table Rock Lake? Couple hours closer, many of the same attractions, more places to get away from the big boats...

Comment

I've been to Shell Knob a couple times and loved it there. I can actually get to parts of LOTO a bit quicker but that really isn't a deciding factor for me. The time difference is minimal. We just like LOTO better and think there is more stuff around the whole area.

Comment

^Totally agree with this Rod as we are the same and love all that LOTO has to offer. Over the past few years we've spent a ton of time down there and don't think we've seen but a slice of what the lake has to offer.

Here is a link to restaraunts etc down there and maybe you've seen it: http://lakelocator.thgmartech.com/

Also: midwestboatparty.com this site is good as most on this site are full timers at LOTO and will have lots of good insight. Most on this site aren't surfers and actually hate what we do as a sport but still will have plenty of info.

Know if and when we move to LOTO we will look at the Linn creek cove area or 4 corners area as their are some newer homes on the north side and there is plenty to do down that way, although the 4 corners area get busy during wkends. Another area we would consider if we could afford is around Kelly's port area as their are some beautiful homes there and its great by land or water to almost anything you want to do. Close to state side where riding on an inboard is best. Fuel, food, bars with pools, nightlife etc all in that area. Just google Kelly's port and you will see what I'm talking about. Couple TO on here live in that area and even around Red head yacht club area is very nice.

Obviously west end to west of 34mm or captain rons is the quietest part of lake but you will drive a lot more to town, food etc. There are several restaurants on water down near Ron's or 4 corners area and supposedly going to be a new RHYC #2 soon close to where Niangua Falls is now. Further south around Camdenton is where Jeff @performanceloz lives and it is very nice and peaceful down there, but it gets a lot of trash in water often if it rains and water is more shallow down near the HA HA tonka park but is very peaceful down there, although no on water restaurants but close to camdenton.

Up the Gravois arm you will have to go up there pretty far to get a quiet place to ride as coconuts and several other large on water bars attract large boats and the main channel is just plain stupid to be out on in an inboard IMO. We like that area but you will only be able to get on main channel during Monday-Thursday most likely and sometimes its extremely rough then in that area. Our experiences up near the dam just haven't been that great although there is plenty to do if a person can find a cove to stay in.

007 Jeff lives state side past party cove as he stated and his area is terrific IMO. Further for you to drive from wichita but very nice area. He is within a few minutes of the grand glaize bridge and plenty of glass like water at any time of day even during wkends. Not much for housing up there unless you want a condo but is very nice area as he stated also. Anything State side south of the Grand glaize will be nice even on wkends especially now that WP has done away with party cove, the large boat traffic isn't as bad. Google Lazy days apts and look at homes in that area as its nice location. It would be directly south of performanceloz shop.

Sorry typed a lot but hope it helps. Know we are partial to the osage beach grand glaize bridge area or even linn creek cove area when we move there that is. Prefer osage but it comes with a price. Good luck and keep us informed to your searches.
                Last edited by JLG; 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I added a couple links to homes to show areas we prefer as they will be great for inboard boating, on water and land restaurants etc, and even good land locations.

Linn creek cove area: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M76615-48072

Kelly's port area ignore pricing as homes do come available and way cheaper in this area its very nice area and homes under 300k at times: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M89227-15549

RHYC area :https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M89409-38595

Lazy days area: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M80542-01212

007 Jeff's area state side: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M89296-26470

HA HA tonka area: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M70605-25030

Again ignore pricing on some these places as I just used realtor.com to show areas we would want to live. Plenty of homes come up often in these areas that are well under 300K range but they go fast!! Best advice is drive to them in a vehicle and get to them in the boat also to make sure they will meet criteria. A lot of places that are easy to get to by boat are terrible by land or vice versus!

Comment

And the Little Niangua it is. At least we put a contract on a small place there. Spent a little time talking with Jeff about area. We think it will work for us. Appreciate all the input here. I got to see a lot of areas that I have never been before, especially by road. Lot of driving the last few weekends.

Comment

Congrats man! That's a great area of the lake!!

Comment

Congrats! Hope your purchase goes well!

Comment

Congrats and exciting news Rod!

Once and hopefully they get big niangua back open and RHYC #2 that area will be booming like osage.

Comment

Working...
                          X