Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rz4 built in cooler

Hey everyone,

Trying to plan out my spring projects. Has anyone cut out the built in cooler on an 09 rz4 and dropped in a traditional cooler? I am sick of having 2 bags of ice not even make it through a day. I was going to spray in foam insulation, but it is hard to access, and would have to cut an access door at the front through the dry compartment behind the drivers seat i would think and at that point i figured i may be better off just dropping in an rtic or yeti cooler. If anyone has a better idea on insulating the built in i would be interested in that as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Definitely will be following this, because I hate having the cooler out in the open and would love to see a better use of the built in cooler on the RZ4

Comment

I cut one out of a 07 rz4 to make room for the bigger ballast bags but I’ve found over the years that the in boat cooler is bout worthless as far as keeping things cold. Even my RZX2 in floor one is not that great I just drop the yeti carry on in the boat and that works great it keeps stuff cold for days. Just my opinion
      surf till u die.

Comment

We use the built-in cooler on my boat as the trash can...and we bring a soft cooler on board. Half bag of ice will last 2 days in softside cooler, 2 bags of ice in built-in cooler last 4hrs. Its frustrating and one thing my next boat will not have.

Comment

I removed the cooler out of my 22VE and use the underseat area for additional storage. I scored a soft sided AO cooler I think originally recommended by Thegerman on the forum. It’s small enough to slide under my bow filler pad and keeps ice pretty well. More than adequate for day trips. AO claims it will keep ice for 24 hours at 120 degrees.
          Not sure if it would fit in the space where the cooler is in the RZ4 but it may. (I’ve got several buddies with RZ2s)
          Get that tape measure out and find one that works for ya.
          The AO 38 can soft side is $75 on Walmart.com

3FF2734A-286F-470D-B8EA-95210E7348D7.jpg

C54B5323-7934-496E-BC41-86658DA51CAC.jpg
          Last edited by Jetdriver; 02-20-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Rtic soft side cooler FTW. That said, the cooler in our Z3 tends to keep ice for about a day. We use both.

Comment

I wouldn't try to cut the cooler out. I would just try to utilize another cooler option and use the current location for storage. If you're dead set on making another built in, have you considered doing it up in the bow where the new RZ4 cooler is? You can cover it with the filler pad. Out of all the wake boats I've been on I'd say I like this location the best. The cooler in my 15 RZ4 isn't even molded in. Its just screws. I actually thought about removing it myself since it just wasn't big enough. But decided against it as theres just nothing else to put there. I now usually use it for shoes. I also really like bringing a RTIC or yeti soft cooler. Its a game changer to be able to set it on the swim platform at the cove and not have to get in and out of the boat. Honestly though, I still take an RTIC 65 with me most times. I just set it in the middle. It doesn't move an inch like the soft ones do and it usually ends up doubling as a table. It doesn't get in the way much. As you can see I'm a bit of a cooler junky.
              BABz - babzusa.com
              Austin, TX

Comment

I do have a yeti 30 soft side cooler, which normally houses my beer and goes under the dash for my easy access, but need a larger cooler for water, juice boxes, soda, etc...

I currwntly utilize the area under the bow filler for storage of my fenders, as I have so much I have to bring as we have 4 kids <7. Plus I really do like the ability to flip that up and walk to the bow when docking to put on fenders...

IMO the cooler takes up enough room it should have great insulation, but it doesnt. Seems like a waste. I pulled out the speaker and looked last year and I was annoyed to find the only insulation was a plastic bag full of foam directly under the cooler with space all around it.

I love the idea of a built in cooler, but really want it to hold ice at least 24 hrs so i can throw in an extra bag sunday morning and nothing left in there ends up warm before i do.

If anyone has removed and can tell me how much space I would gain, or has insulated and can tell me how much it has helped let me know, if not I plan on doing something so I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Comment

Trevor- What year is your RZ4? Is your boat cooler under the passenger observers seat? If so it’s just held in with some screws. Easy to remove and that underseat locker is pretty good size for storage of lots of stuff. Maybe that could free up your underbow area for another soft sided cooler? As far as storing another cooler there you’d be kinda limited because of the odd shape of the opening. My cooler looked kinda like a peanut shape. I had toyed with the notion of cutting the fiberglass to enlarge the opening and putting some rubber edging on it while still leaving enough support for the seat base but never did. I still may do that this season and also put carpeting in the locker base, as is it’s just fiberglass under the cooler.
                  Last edited by Jetdriver; 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                    Trevor- What year is your RZ4? Is your boat cooler under the passenger observers seat? If so it’s just held in with some screws. Easy to remove and that underseat locker is pretty good size for storage of lots of stuff. Maybe that could free up your underbow area for another soft sided cooler? As far as storing another cooler there you’d be kinda limited because of the odd shape of the opening. My cooler looked kinda like a peanut shape. I had toyed with the notion of cutting the fiberglass to enlarge the opening and putting some rubber edging on it while still leaving enough support for the seat base but never did. I still may do that this season and also put carpeting in the locker base, as is it’s just fiberglass under the cooler.
                    2009, so behind driver seat.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      2009, so behind driver seat.

Would have been glued into place. May be able to knock it loose. Check to see if there is a block between the floor and the bottom of the cooler. If so, remove it before you go hitting on the cooler :-)
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

My bow cooler in my RZR works great! I put a bag of ice in on Friday and scoop out what is remaining Sunday evening. Ice cold beer the entire weekend.

Comment

I Cut the cooler out of my 2011 RZ2 Just used a Milwaukee battery operated mini Sawzall. The cooler is glued in from the bottom to the underside of the sear deck. I cut all the way around through the glue seam then cut the cooler in half to remove. Nice part is you still have a clean edge because the seat deck rolls down. Piece of cake. Done in about 10 minutes. Bought a piece of matching carpet and glued in since there is no carpet under the cooler.

Comment

Have you ever had issues with the cooler not draining? I have a 2011 RZR and the cooler doesn’t drain at all. I’ve read it’s fairly common but is a real nuisance to empty.

Comment

Originally posted by RMTige View Post
                              Have you ever had issues with the cooler not draining? I have a 2011 RZR and the cooler doesn’t drain at all. I’ve read it’s fairly common but is a real nuisance to empty.
                              Either clogged or pinched. Maybe try feeding something semi rigid down it (drain snake, piece of steel cable?) or maybe blowing some compressed air down the drain.

Comment

Working...
                              X