Winterizing indmar m60 415

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing indmar m60 415

I'm trying to winterize my 2014 z3 for the first time myself. I found the two drain hoses on each side of the motor and removed the plugs. Can I blow air through my fresh water strainer and force any water out? Do I need to remove the impeller?

I was also going to remove the hoses to and from my heater and let them drain. Do I need to do anything else with the heater?

Ballast bags are empty so I don't think there is much to worry about with them. Maybe pour some to anti-freeze in them??

Anything else I'm missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Got the gear lines blown out and drained the two drain hoses. Tried taking the hoses off the water pump but had no luck. If I got everything antifreeze and poured it into the fresh water strainer while the boat was running wouldn't that force any water out and leave just the anti freeze?

Comment

Ok. Got the gear lines blown out and drained the two drain hoses. Tried taking the hoses off the water pump but had no luck. If I got everything antifreeze and poured it into the fresh water strainer while the boat was running wouldn't that force any water out and leave just the anti freeze?

Comment

Sorry for the horrible post. That's what i get when i try to update from my phone! I got the heater lines drained and put back on. I drained the two lines from each side of the motor. I couldn't get the lines removed from the water pump. If i pour anti freeze into the fresh water strainer while the boat is running will this get anti freeze everywhere i need it? Do i need to remove the thermostat to make sure?

Comment

Bumping for you. Hope some experts would chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremiah.hough View Post
            Sorry for the horrible post. That's what i get when i try to update from my phone! I got the heater lines drained and put back on. I drained the two lines from each side of the motor. I couldn't get the lines removed from the water pump. If i pour anti freeze into the fresh water strainer while the boat is running will this get anti freeze everywhere i need it? Do i need to remove the thermostat to make sure?
            Did you blow out the heater lines or just drain them? You will need to blow them out.

Comment

i blew them out. I think i still need to drain the v-drive and run antifreeze through the engine. I'm just not sure what the best way it to get antifreeze through everything. Do i still need to disconnect the hoses to the water pump if i'm going to push anti freeze through it? it looks like it would be very easy to pour 5 gallons of antifreeze through the fresh water strainer. Do i need to remove the thermostat? Will this cover the v-drive also? i plan on working on it tonight. I'm going to video what i have done and post it. hopefully this will help others.

Comment

You can pour the antifreeze through the fresh water strainer and start the engine, keep pouring while engine is idling until the antifreeze is blowing out of the exhaust. Shut off engine. Myself I would still pull all of the drain plugs.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

Any idea how many drain plugs? I have a hose with a brass plug coming from each side of the engine? Should there be a plug on the v-drive?

Comment

https://indmar.wpengine.com/wp-conte...sed-Models.pdf

Try this. It will tell you where all the plugs are. I'm not sure on the '14 but I assume there is one on the vdrive.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks KoolAid. I had looked at the manual before - it just seems a little vague. I didn't get to video my steps but here is what I did:

1) Removed both heater hoses and blew them out.
                      2) Drained the drain hoses from each side of the motor.
                      3) Ran 5 Gallons of RV antifreeze through the motor. I did this by removing the top of the fresh water strainer and pouring 5 gallons of antifreeze in as the motor ran. Temp go to about 165 so i assume the thermostat was open. Boat normally runs about 158-160.
                      4) Repeated steps 1-2 and verified that antifreeze did come from the heater hoses and drain hoses.
                      5) Removed batteries

I think this should be pretty bullet proof. If someone sees something I missed please let me know. The manual said to remove the bottom hose from the v drive and impeller pump but i think these place will for sure be flushed out with antifreeze.

Comment

Did you use any fuel stabilizer? I also like to change all my fluids before prepping for storage but if you already have antifreeze in it then it’ll have to wait. I’m assuming you left the impeller in since you’re using antifreeze. Make sure you replace the impeller at the beginning of next season. They can take a set when left in over the winter. When they crap the bed it can cause major damage. Cheap insurance IMO. Keep the old one as a backup.

Comment

Yes I put stabil in on our last lake outing. I didn't change the oil but will in the spring. I flushed with 5 gallons of anti-freeze and drained everything again. I guess i could have left anti freeze in but though it would be safer to drain. i will put new impeller in before first outing in the spring.

Comment

Wondering if anyone has a video or photos that would help find all the plugs and hoses that need drained on the Indmar M60 engine ( like my 2014 Tige Z3). I’m using this post but I’m surprised at how little info to winterize this particular engine!

Comment

Any chance you have some pics of where the thermostat is located? For your heater blowout, what did you use to blow it out? did you just blow it out from the spot that has the labels "To Heater" "From Heater"? Did you find the V-drive drain plug or transmission cooler? I can't seem to find them if they exist...

Comment

Working...
                              X