Better to sell now or in the spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better to sell now or in the spring?

Thinking of selling my boat. 2006 22ve with chpthril ballast. Boat is located in St. George Utah. Guessing to sell now that I'd lose around 2000 over spring. Thinking I can get 35-36k spring and 33-34k now. Does that sound about right? I'm kinda late to this decision, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Also, how are people handle the funds of the transaction? Seems like there are lots of scams now using PayPal and cashier checks...

Comment

Cricket, i would say the time of year is a small driving force but not the end all be all. I have no problem selling boats in the winter. List it correctly, be accessible and you will be good to go. Let me know when you are ready to jump into an RZX
      Germaine Marine
      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
        Cricket, i would say the time of year is a small driving force but not the end all be all. I have no problem selling boats in the winter. List it correctly, be accessible and you will be good to go. Let me know when you are ready to jump into an RZX
        My limited experience is that dealerships may not have problems with selling boats in the off season, but private folks may have a lot of debris to wade through. There are a whole bunch of obsessives watching every single ad online all winter hoping to jump on some desperate chap who suddenly HAS to sell the boat in the middle of December. So typically you will get a lot of calls offering you 65% of your asking price all winter. It seems that dealerships (or those affiliated with them) may not get those calls hoping to find someone at a desperate time.

That was my experience with my last 2 boats. Then March came around and first person to look at the boats in person bought them, so I don't really think it was the boat, the ad or the price. I am not sure I will even bother to list my next boat until the local boat shows come to town. You may have a different experience.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Thanks talltigeguy, that is what I'm thinking don't mind taking a little hit, save on storage fees and such but not going to take a bath. �� Plus, Jason is a really good salesguy... I guess I throw it out for a little bit and see what happens. Thanks.

Do you think I'm in the ballpark on what I can get?

Comment

My boats listed on Ksl and only in boards. I had lots of calls two weeks ago and then it just stopped. I’m assuming I’ll own it till spring. That’s fine with me as I’m sure the price will go up and I’ll owe less at that time. We’ll see what happens around the boat show.

Comment

Literally same unstuck.
              September had lots and then came October and absolutely nothing.

Comment

I would list it and see what happens. Nothing to loose if you stick to your price. However, from a recent buyer's perspective, there isn't much incentive in the winter except a good deal for buyers. Difficult to test drive the boat and ensuring things are running correctly. Not able to enjoy your large investment until the spring but you immediately begin payments on the boat and storage . . . I bought my first boat this past January. A 2006 22Ve completely stock with 200 hours I have been slowly upgrading. I began looking after Labor Day 2016 thinking prices would drop. Dealers dropped prices but not many private sellers did (in NV, you don't pay sales tax when purchased from a private party). There were a few Z3s out east priced well I was planning on getting closer to spring when I would have more money saved up but this specific boat was purchased by my brother in law in Vegas then moved to St George and then up to SLC. He took ridiculously good care of it but then sold it to a friend for a short time who then tried to sell it.

Without that specific boat, I had decided to wait until March. Although, I did come close to taking some of the dealer incentives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You cant sell what you dont list....

I see absolutely no harm in listing it now, say the price is firm, try to weed the people out when they call to ask to see it and see what happens.
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Take in to consideration, how much its going to cost to store it, and if you are still making payments in it, how much interest you will pay over winter. If both of those are factors you can price accordingly

Comment

I just sold my boat in October after having listed it in July. So anything is possible. I also had to factor in storage because I bought a new boat in August and had to rent 2 boat slips to store both boats. It was advantageous for me to take less than my original asking price to save on storage. I will tell you you have to deal with all kinds of low ball offers before they even see your boat. Also trade offers. In the spring it will sell quickly because buyers will be able to use it right away. You should weigh all factors and do what's best for your situation.
                      I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                        I just sold my boat in October after having listed it in July. So anything is possible. I also had to factor in storage because I bought a new boat in August and had to rent 2 boat slips to store both boats. It was advantageous for me to take less than my original asking price to save on storage. I will tell you you have to deal with all kinds of low ball offers before they even see your boat. Also trade offers. In the spring it will sell quickly because buyers will be able to use it right away. You should weigh all factors and do what's best for your situation.
                        You payed for two slips?? Why not just keep it out of the water??

Comment

Working...
                        X