2012 R20 swim platform bracket woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 R20 swim platform bracket woes

Our 2012 R20 (5.7 343hp, 251 hours) has had nothing but problems with the frankly awfully engineered platform brackets. These are the older style cast aluminum slot-and-pin ones, not the newer designs from 2013 onwards. It's so bad that with the other numerous (albeit unrelated) problems we've been having that honestly we are thinking of getting rid of the boat if things persist.

First, we had one bracket break. A crack in the lower part where the platform slots in the bottom. Left the platform hanging by the remaining bracket. Got that fixed a year ago or so. I used to work at a Tige dealer a few years ago and have seen the same issue on a handful of boats.

Then earlier this season, a pin snapped and the platform partially came off while someone was surfing which is a huge safety hazard. Put a new pin in and called it a day. Everything was visually inspected afterwards and seemed fine. Local boat mechanic said that to keep stress off the platform we should stop using the boat for surfing (LOL then why have the boat at all??)

Then 2 days ago, after a fantastic morning of surfing, we had a couple of buddies standing on the platform to take a photo. Neither of them are especially heavy. The boat is off, water is calm, nobody is jumping up and down or anything. I'm in the driver's seat sending a text and I hear a crash and a splash out back. I initially think someone is horsing around pushing people in the water so I turn around and see the two guys in the water seeming surprised and alarmed and one yelling "GET IT!". The platform had completely broken out of both pinholes and immediately sunk to the bottom of the lake, out of sight. Multiple attempts were made to dive down and retrieve it but it was mostly just my friends feeling bad and trying to help, I knew immediately the thing is gone.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/l9W5A

Spoke with the local Tige dealer in Calgary, and a new platform is $5600. Not including the brackets. Obviously not covered under warranty and insurance won't cover as they consider it "wear and tear". Anyone else had a similar situation? Is it possible to speak directly with Tige for help on this, as it's their disappointingly poor engineering that caused this issue? I don't want a boat where I'm having to worry about the stupid swim platform coming off and hurting someone, not to mention costing a fortune to replace.

When it does get fixed, I'm also wondering if it's possible to upgrade to the new style of brackets which seem to hold up a bit better. Seems like the main barrier to entry was having to get a new platform that fits those new brackets but seeing as we have to replace that anyway... Or even a Convex VX conversion?

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...atform-bracket
    Literally just had this discussion. Order the new brackets from Redline.

Know anyone with a scuba rig that could go get it if its not that deep?? Imagine you could hire a guy for a lot less the 6k$ to go down there and get it. Sucks about the platform. The new brackets are much beefier from Redline.

Comment

Try contacting different dealers in the area, I think redline watersports posted that they had some used ones. Or maybe even Malibu marine. Check out kijji as well.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...atform-bracket
        Literally just had this discussion. Order the new brackets from Redline.

Know anyone with a scuba rig that could go get it if its not that deep?? Imagine you could hire a guy for a lot less the 6k$ to go down there and get it. Sucks about the platform. The new brackets are much beefier from Redline.
        Is it the same style brackets as what came on the boat in the first place or an updated/stronger version?

Also I couldn't find the spot it came off even if I tried. There's a current at that lake so we drifted a bit, and as we were attempting to get it there were boaters coming by us so we moved all over the place. Tried diving down but couldn't see/feel a thing. It's 20-30 feet down in the middle of Lake Windermere somewhere if anyone wants to go hunting for a free platform though.
        Last edited by cluesblues; 08-29-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Comment

Anyone know offhand the distance between the center of the brackets for an R20? Might have sourced a used one but I'm not sure how compatible it is.

I'd measure right now but my boat is in Invermere and I'm back in Calgary for work.

Comment

Unless the platform is for your specific boat it will be different, the r20 has a narrow beam.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
              Unless the platform is for your specific boat it will be different, the r20 has a narrow beam.
              So it's gotta be for an R20/RZR then? Shoot.

Comment

I have not had a failure (knock on wood) on my 2013 R20 swim platform, but it boggles my mind that "engineers" would specify a plated steel pin for an application that is necessarily submerged in water. Sometimes saltwater. I contacted Tige directly for austenitic stainless steel replacements and after no response I just found them online and bought them for myself.
                20170730_112632 (1).jpg20170818_211721.jpg

Comment

I replaced my pins with a bolt that’s absurd thicker ti stop the rattling and the rust.

Comment

We replaced the pins with bolts too, but that doesn't help when the brackets let go lol

Found a platform and newer style brackets off a '13 RZR for $700 on my local kijiji, though I'd still have to do a bunch of fibreglass work to make that fit as they mount in different places on the hull... might still be better than paying upwards of $6k for the old stuff that doesn't seem to hold up that well anyway.
                    Last edited by cluesblues; 08-29-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Redlines brackets are substantially stouter and appear to be machined out of billet high grade aluminum then anodized as far as I can tell, I'm sure they can verify materials. Much stronger looking. Come with stainless pins. Also has an extra bolt to take the play out of platform as well.
                      5600$ seems really steep for a new platform. I would at least contact tige directly and see what they say. No warranty most likely, even though its a know **** part, but seems like they would do you a whole lot better than 5600$. I may just be missing something with CDN exchange rate though as I don't follow your dollar that much. Regardless you probably wouldn't get one anytime soon as I'm sure they would have to prep molds and spray/lay up one for you.

Comment

The strength difference between carbon steel pin used and a stainless pin, could have played into the engineer's decision.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It bugs me insurance wouldn't cover this. If I hit a log, took out running gear insurance would cover it. I have a hard time saying this is normal wear and tear. If you backed into a pier and it broke, would it be covered? I guess to me "normal" would not describe the brackets breaking because of stepping on it.

Some searching:

https://forum.moomba.com/archive/index.php/t-14784.html

Comment

Okay so we're probably just going to get the brackets from Redline, and they have a refurbished R20 platform (in the same colour too!) for $300. I think that's gonna be our solution, as $5600 for a brand new one is utterly ridiculous.

Comment

I have a Z1 platform from 2013. It is black and sitting in Calgary. I'm not sure it would fit on an R20 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X