Bilge pump automatic switch stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge pump automatic switch stuck

Today we got a wired problem with our bilge pump. My wife were driving the boat and when we switched I haired some strange noise coming from under the seat. I turned everything off and the noise did not stopped, then realized that it is the bilge pump running non-stop. I opened the floor hatch and saw the switch and pump running practically dry, no water coming out of the hole. I tried to find any manual reset on the switch and it looks like there is no such thing.2017-08-26 16.09.56.jpg

Does anyone has experience with those?

The automatic circuit is a brown wire that should be connected directly to one of the batteries with a fuse holder within a few inches. Pulling the fuse should shut the pump down for now.

The white thing that says rule-omatic is the flaot switch for the bilge. Start with it as to why the pump is stick on.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mine did the same thing last week and I was able to tap the switch housing and get the float unstuck and the pump shut off. I suspect it has oil residue in it and needs cleaned. I'm planning to use Dawn or some other degreaser to try and clean it.

Comment

Thanks. It actually fixed by itself on the way home, but I still wonder if there is a way to open the cover and fix it. As far as I understand it is mechanical and and may need to be cleaned or something else.

Comment

Sometimes the bilge pump gets filled with debris from lake water, lint and hair, oil, remnants of food, and all sorts of sundry items that get washed down into the bilge. Cleaning it out is a good thing, and I bet you will find the float switch stuck due to one or several of those items.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Mine has gotten crud in it before that stops the float from moving back down. Clean and it will work properly.
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Is there a way to open the cower or I need to unscrew it to clean?

Comment

Just want to share what I found today for that switch. The whole switch is covered and there is no direct access to the floater, but there is a tiny lever near the wires plug. This lever is attached to the floater and you can push it to test if the pump is functional.
                I cannot believe that there is nothing in the owner manual and even manual for the switch.
                Bilge pump is one of the safety items that need to be checked often. I guess in my case may be something got stuck in that lever and kept floater up.

Comment

Working...
                X