Tige R21 or Malibu 21vlx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige R21 or Malibu 21vlx

Hey folks.... looking for some help/input on a new boat purchase.

My wife and I are in the process of looking for a new boat, and after checking out several different models, have narrowed our choices down to a R21 or a Malibu 21VLX. This will be our first boat, and pretty sure we want to stick to the smallish' side of things (so around 21'). It will be a multipurpose boat with some surfing, some wake boarding, skiing and likely even tubing from time to time (as well just cruising around the lake). After looking around at several different models, it seems to us that these two fall in to about exactly what we are looking for (price wise as well).

Stopped by our local Tige dealer yesterday and he spent a few hours with us going over the R21 (he seems to be a fantastic dealer by the way, so plus one to Tige!). Hoping to stop by our Malibu dealer sometime this week to really go over the 21VLX.

Seeing as how we are essentially newbies to this, any suggestions or thoughts in regards to comparisons b/t these two models? I really like the "look" of the Tige, but the interior of the Malibu is quite nice. The Tige will run a touch more price wise, and will have the 360R versus the 410 in the Malibu. Like the Command Center on the Malibu, but not sure if that much touchscreen control could lead to issues in the future. Love the additional width of the 21R, and the tower as well.

Thoughts or Ideas?

Are you sure the vlx is more than the r21? If you were looking at the Malibu I’d be looking at the Z1 for more luxurious features, just a fair comparison.
    The tige will probably have a better surf wake. Malibu’s wakeboard wake will be easier to set up. For skiing the bu will probably be a little softer.
    Demo them both and decide for yourself

Comment

No, the vlx is less price wise then the R21. That's why we stuck with the R21, as we are shooting to be around the $80k mark (or less) with a trailer.

Comment

my two cents - if $80k is your budget sans trailer - you should go for the Z1 - nicer interior, etc - and yes your dealer should hit that, I bought one over the winter granted it was at the boat show, but still, he can get there.

In terms of Malibu vs. tige - here is where I ended up and still believe it to be true. For an all around boat, including cruising - you cant beat a Tige - the TAPS2 plate enables an inboard boat to act like an i/o in terms of planning the boat and overall cruise ease in case of rough water. I am on my second one and LOVE them, sit in the tige - it still has a much deeper boat which for little kids is a huge plus - only downside with the Z1 is the wake for slalom skiing - I left a 20v and that wake was perfect for a recreational skiier - other than that go with tige and try to get a Z1

Comment

are these boats the same year and comparable options? This can have a HUGE impact on price. Also, seems you have not actually been quoted a price by Bu dealer, is that correct? I agree, I would expect the VLX to be more then an R21
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks....have not really considered the Z1 since our local dealer does not have stock of any at this time. Looks like the Z1 is essentially a R21 with nicer interior?

We are really shooting to be around 80k with the trailer included.

Comment

My understanding is that the z1 has the better tower and touch screen otherwise they are the same and the interior has a bit more design on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Options very close.....our local Bu' dealer has his 21vlx's listed at the nationally advertised price of $79k, but we have not worked with him on the total pricing yet.

The two R21's we are looking at currently are actually both fresh 17' models (arrived no long ago)...with retail prices sitting just shy of $100k. The Bu's are also 17' models.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugh2o View Post
                  My understanding is that the z1 has the better tower and touch screen otherwise they are the same and the interior has a bit more design on it

Thanks....the two R21's we are considering actually both have the new powered tower on them. Bigger touch screen is really not a huge deal to me, although the rear camera would likely be nice to have.

Comment

The z1 and 21vlx are both nice boats. We shopped the 23lsv and the z3 , both 23ft but same comparing everything else. We found the malibu to be very "stuck" in terms of surfing, the adjustment is just not there. Since we have advanced riders to beginers we needed a boat to be versatile. The malibu was nice but a bit more pricey. We demoed both and there was no comparison, the tige won hands down for what we wanted. I would drive both and decide for yourself but you should absolutely be able to get into a z1 for that price. Malibu ran a special on the vlx this year at 79,999 but that is base price.
                    If you wanna know what I did , come with me next time...

Comment

I"m not sure who your dealer is but if he's selling R series boats for 100k...... He's ripping people off. Thats loaded z3 retail pricing......

Comment

Originally posted by CarFanatic View Post
                        I"m not sure who your dealer is but if he's selling R series boats for 100k...... He's ripping people off. Thats loaded z3 retail pricing......
                        That's not the selling price....that's retail (MSRP).

Comment

retail on a R series should not be close to 100K. R21 should be around 75k msrp

Comment

Just checked only inboards (website for only imboards to be sold if your not familiar) and there are several z1 loaded advertised for 90 , again thats advertised �� , not sure where you are at but z1 is your boat.
                            If you wanna know what I did , come with me next time...

Comment

I never tested the 21 VLX so I cannot help from a comparison standpoint (the local Malibu dealer’s sales guy didn’t get out of his chair to inquire about what I was looking for as I walked around the showroom so I didn’t stick around very long).

That said, we’ve had a 2016 R21 for a couple years now and have been very pleased with it as a family / multisport boat. We do all the things you mentioned and have found the boat to be pretty versatile (the slalom wake does leaves something to be desired if you’re a pretty competitive skier, but that’s the price of a surf-oriented boat…. slalom sets are the only time I long for my old 20v). I know slalom’s popularity isn’t what it used to be, but do wish Tige offered a pop-up ski pylon between the cockpit and engine compartment like our old boat had… the more forward tow point would really help its slalom performance in my opinion. Stepping off my soap box now….

Anyway, if you operate with a several person crew, the surf wave is great for a 21’ boat. However, if it’s just the wife, the rug rats, and I heading out to surf, we prefer more weight than the stock ballast offers. So, when we don’t have guests with us we do find ourselves bringing a couple fat sacs to help improve the surf wave (picking up some lead is another alternative). This is usually a non-issue as we almost always have others that want to surf or at least observe.

We have the 360 engine and have never worried about being under powered. Even with a full boat of adults and ballast filled, we’ve never struggled to tow up a surfer and get up to 11+mph. Our lake sits around 660 feet above sea level so altitude is not an issue in our case.

For a smaller inboard, I think the ride of the R21 is pretty decent. We’re on busy / rough lake and while you need to be somewhat careful, I think the boat takes the chop fairly well all things considered. We have little kids and have always also appreciated the high freeboard Tige offers. Just feels safer for the little ones.

The wetsounds-based stereo is fantastic. We did ask the dealer to wire in a switch that turns the amp driving the tower speakers off / on which is nice to have so you don’t always have to be blasting folks with the Rev-10’s (they’re LOUD).

I would not underestimate the value of a good / attentive / reputable dealer. Same goes for their proximity and the convenience that comes along with having them close. I definitely did some research on that before committing to a purchase; I think it would be worth your time to do the same.

I believe the Tige is 6” longer and has a wider beam. My guess is the Tige will feel roomier as a result, but sit in them and see for yourself.

While I didn’t seriously consider a Wakesetter, I’ve certainly crawled around several Malibu’s at the boat show and would agree that the interior when compared to the R21 is nicer.

If both seem to fit you and your family’s needs, I’d highly recommend test driving both before making your decision. You’ll learn a lot about your boat (and your dealer, frankly).

Hopefully someone who actually has experience in both boats will chime in here. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X