Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying 2009 24ve Travel Cover

Hey TO,

I just had this idea after towing about three hours one way with my cover on and when we arrived it had left some minor rub marks on the boat. I have seen on here that this happens often with the older covers. Problem is I don't want to drop $900 on a new cover. So I was thinking if I could plan out everywhere the cover hits the boat then buy some of this stuff http://www.sailrite.com/Odyssey-Soft...Gray-60-Fabric which is what evolution covers uses and either have it sewn or do it ourselves and put this on the underside of cover. This would be a whole lot cheaper than a new cover. Any recommendations or thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure we have the same/similar covers. My solution is a bit ghetto, but it works. I use a bungie cord that pulls the strap and buckle down away from the boat, on each side. The bungie attaches inside the trailer on the frame. We trailered with the cover on from Seattle (area) to Wisconsin and back with no issues.

Comment

I just use a rag to tie around the buckles on each side by the tower so the plastic can hit the gel coat. Otherwise haven't had any real issues with rub marks.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
        I just use a rag to tie around the buckles on each side by the tower so the plastic can hit the gel coat. Otherwise haven't had any real issues with rub marks.
        I didn't have too bad of an issue with this but it was rubbing on the vinyl on the sun deck and captain chair and leaving black marks as well as a little bit above the rub rail.

Comment

A non fitted bed sheet will protect the sun deck very well.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys but my reason for doing this to the cover was so I wouldn't have all these extra things to put on. I could just toss the cover on and be good

Comment

You could but that stuff at almost 20$ a yard. I'm betting a trip to a thrift store you could find some felt blanket, cut em to size where you need them, then have any decent seamstress sew them to your cover. Towing cover on and not charging, especially when you have black above the rub rail will always be a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbons24ve
                Have seen people and have done it once due to was going to tow in the rain. Shipping package wrap/ Saran wrap around the boat from where the boat cover could rub.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                Yep have seen this one before but don't want to do this every time I tow on a trip. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chugh2o View Post
                  Hey TO,

I just had this idea after towing about three hours one way with my cover on and when we arrived it had left some minor rub marks on the boat. I have seen on here that this happens often with the older covers. Problem is I don't want to drop $900 on a new cover. So I was thinking if I could plan out everywhere the cover hits the boat then buy some of this stuff http://www.sailrite.com/Odyssey-Soft...Gray-60-Fabric which is what evolution covers uses and either have it sewn or do it ourselves and put this on the underside of cover. This would be a whole lot cheaper than a new cover. Any recommendations or thoughts on this?

I just did my boat cover last week and used Sailrite cloth. I cut 6" X 72" long strips and glued (contact cement / solvent based) to the inside perimeter. This was to protect the new Vvivid vinyl wrap on the hull. Drove it to Knoxville and had no issues. (FYI: Box store contact cement is water based. BIG difference! Don't recommend it.)

Here's what I bought. http://www.sailrite.com/Boat-Blanket-Fabric-Black-72
                  It has a very heavy material that will hold up with time and weather.

It wasn't a fast job. Took a good many hours to do it right and make it super clean. I also came down 1 inch lower where my tie down straps are. Also made strap covers where there would be potential chaffing of the straps against the hull.

It took one gallon of glue. Here's the stuff I used. About $60 for a gallon. Armaflex Glue.jpg

In about 10 days I'll post photo's. The boat is in TN and I'm in FL right now.
                  Last edited by .NOBODY; 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .NOBODY View Post
                    I just did my boat cover last week and used Sailrite cloth. I cut 6" X 72" long strips and glued (contact cement / solvent based) to the inside perimeter. This was to protect the new Vvivid vinyl wrap on the hull. Drove it to Knoxville and had no issues. (FYI: Box store contact cement is water based. BIG difference! Don't recommend it.)

Here's what I bought. http://www.sailrite.com/Boat-Blanket-Fabric-Black-72
                    It has a very heavy material that will hold up with time and weather.

It wasn't a fast job. Took a good many hours to do it right and make it super clean. I also came down 1 inch lower where my tie down straps are. Also made strap covers where there would be potential chaffing of the straps against the hull.

It took one gallon of glue. Here's the stuff I used. About $60 for a gallon. [ATTACH]46657[/ATTACH]

In about 10 days I'll post photo's. The boat is in TN and I'm in FL right now.
                    Any pictures yet?

Comment

Working...
                    X