Tige Surf Bimini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige Surf Bimini

Hey everyone, I was looking for some pictures of a new 2016-17 or even 18 model surf Bimini top. I have seen the general concept of it just being two straps which I like so I wanted to see some better pictures of it so I can do it on my boat soon. Also what type of material they used to put over the Bimini in the spots where the board sits? If I were to do this would you recommend doing the extra layer under the boards or just the straps? Again I would like to see some good pictures from those of you with these on your boats. Thanks in advance!

I have seen the pockets before also but was hoping to use this for bigger boards length wise and figured this would be better and hopefully easier to put on.

Honestly I feel like you’d be better off with just the pockets, it’s so easy, just slid them in and away you go. I don’t even bother to use the straps. With bigger boards the fins can get in the way when surfing so only one big board in the Bimini.

I’ll take pictures tomorrow

Comment

Not from the years you mentioned, but just in case it's helpful:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...fboard-pockets

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
        Not from the years you mentioned, but just in case it's helpful:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...fboard-pockets
        Thanks ID, I have seen your thread and what you did, and it's awesome. Now that I think about it more I will probably just do pockets instead of straps. I saw that you took yours to Jacobs upholstery in Spokane which is right near me. So I will be doing the same and show them the pictures of what you did as well and hopefully they can help. Where did you purchase the netting and neoprene? Also is there anything you would have done differently or should I try and do the same? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing I'd add is a strip of neoprene at the front of the pocket. I've noticed some "buffing" of the noses on our boards which I presume is caused by being loaded upside down in the pockets, and then the normal vibration of the boat scuffs the Sunbrella bimini fabric against the nose of the board. Unfaced neoprene should grip the nose and not scuff like that.

We've solved it by putting a towel over our boards, tucking it under the nose, and sliding that burrito into the pocket. (I also add a strip of electrical tape to the nose of the board, but that's primarily to protect it from newbies ejecting it into the swim platform or transom.) The towel also protects the board from extreme heat due to sunlight on ~100F days. It's tempting to use a solid fabric rather than mesh, but I'm concerned about mold and mildew inside the pocket from trapped moisture. The mesh absolutely prevents that.

Comment

One thing I'd add is a strip of neoprene at the front of the pocket. I've noticed some "buffing" of the noses on our boards which I presume is caused by being loaded upside down in the pockets, and then the normal vibration of the boat scuffs the Sunbrella bimini fabric against the nose of the board. Unfaced neoprene should grip the nose and not scuff like that.

We've solved it by putting a towel over our boards, tucking it under the nose, and sliding that burrito into the pocket. (I also add a strip of electrical tape to the nose of the board, but that's primarily to protect it from newbies ejecting it into the swim platform or transom.) The towel also protects the board from extreme heat due to sunlight on ~100F days. It's tempting to use a solid fabric rather than mesh, but I'm concerned about mold and mildew inside the pocket from trapped moisture. The mesh absolutely prevents that.
            I was thinking of putting an extra piece in the nose as well. I think I am gonna stick with the mesh and just keep the boards in socks or bags when up there. I think with a solid fabric it would make the boards hotter because there would not be much breath ability. Where did you purchase the mesh and neoprene?

Comment

I can't specifically remember now. The unfaced neoprene took some phone calls to various fabric shops in the area to track down. IIRC I found it at a shop in CdA. You might ask Jacob's, they may be able to find it for you. I think Jacob's may have supplied the mesh themselves.

Comment

I can't specifically remember now. The unfaced neoprene took some phone calls to various fabric shops in the area to track down. IIRC I found it at a shop in CdA. You might ask Jacob's, they may be able to find it for you. I think Jacob's may have supplied the mesh themselves.
                Ok thanks for the help ID!

Comment

No problem, anytime!

Comment

If I were to do this again, I would do the mesh pockets or the padded straps like on the new Tige biminis. The solid pockets work great, but don't help with heat.

It is a super affordable mod, but your 360 nav light will be out of compliance for night boating on the Z tower bimini because the boards block the view.

bimini.jpg
                    Last edited by 007; 08-03-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Tige Surf Bimini

After four summers with my boat, I just learned last week that there were latching straps under that little loop on the surf bimini. I was all prepared to run a bungee cord through that loop......

I love the surf pockets. At times I put tubes or the EZ Ski up there too. Out of sight and out of the way

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        After four summers with my boat, I just learned last week that there were latching straps under that little loop on the surf bimini. I was all prepared to run a bungee cord through that loop......

I love the surf pockets. At times I put tubes or the EZ Ski up there too. Out of sight and out of the way

Looking to do the same with bimini for wake surf....
                        Any adsitional pics I can provide my upholstery guy by chance?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have basically a factory replica on the r20. If you would like I can take some pictures and measurements for you.

Comment

Tige Surf Bimini

Custom made mesh pockets on RZR

Comment

Working...
                            X