Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAE causing starting problems

MX 6.2L MPI Black Scorpion - In Texas not at any altitude

Since fitting the FAE I have been experiencing starting issues. When the engine is cold it will start on the button, Once warmed up if I switch off and restart fairly quickly starts fine, if I let it stand for about 5 mins I have to advance the throttle and crank it to get it started and then gently put it back to idle, if I don't ease it back to idle it will cut out. Once it is running I can switch off and back on with no problems.

This morning I removed the FAE, I gained about 400 more rpm and the starting issue disappeared completely so I am convinced the FAE is the problem.

I would like to figure this out as I really like having the FAE on the boat.

Any suggestions of things to look at will be greatly appreciated.

Don't think of this as a problem. I helped do an install on a 2100V and we came across the same issue. Cold Fire no problem, hot start and it would just crank. From what I remember he called Larry at FAE and it had something to do with backpressure on a hot start. Its not a bad thing but did require cracking the throttle open to hot start. I would give Larry at FAE a call he I am sure can explain why its happening better.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Does your FAE have flappers in it? If so, I wonder if they are stuck shut giving the back pressure issue mentioned.

Comment

No flappers on the FAE

Comment

Can you describe the hard starting issue with some detail? Engine sluggish to turn over, spins over with what seems to be normal revolutions but cranks for extended period before firing off? Added back pressure byt he FAE could be uncovering a battery, starter or cable issue.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Can you describe the hard starting issue with some detail? Engine sluggish to turn over, spins over with what seems to be normal revolutions but cranks for extended period before firing off? Added back pressure byt he FAE could be uncovering a battery, starter or cable issue.
            On cold start engine spins over normally and starts instantly, I have an aftermarket push button start so i just push the button once and it does it's thing.
            On hot start it spins over the same, I have to hold the button in to make it crank until it fires, if i give it no throttle it will eventually start "just about", With throttle it will start quicker but i still need to hold in the start button to make it crank more times than normal.

I have dual batteries with a Perko, I normally run "All" most of the time so both batteries charge equally and then change to a single battery if we moor up in a cove so i only run one down.

After removing the FAE it starts first time on the button every time. hot or cold on either battery or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Capta1n View Post
              On cold start engine spins over normally and starts instantly, I have an aftermarket push button start so i just push the button once and it does it's thing.
              Sorry to derail this thread, but would you mind starting a thread and sharing the info on your push button start? We tow and store indoors and having something to minimize risk of leaving keys behind would be great. Again, sorry for the derail.
              "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Can you provide details on the aftermarket push button start? (ie how it works, model...).

I'm not sure how they work, but likely look for engine RPM about an amount for a set time (or maybe just RPM). If the engine RPM spins higher cranking with hot engine could it "meet" the run mode of the push button start and then drop out?

Comment

Originally posted by ericinmich View Post
                  Can you provide details on the aftermarket push button start? (ie how it works, model...).

I'm not sure how they work, but likely look for engine RPM about an amount for a set time (or maybe just RPM). If the engine RPM spins higher cranking with hot engine could it "meet" the run mode of the push button start and then drop out?
                  Push button is not the issue, It did exactly the same when i had the key.

Comment

Wonder if this is an oil pressure problem meaning the oil is hot, it is thin and it takes a while at crank speed to build enough pressure to engage the low oil pressure safety run circuit.
                    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
                    X