What will a new prop do for our Z3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will a new prop do for our Z3?

We have a 2015 Z3 with AVX. It has upgraded MLA bags on both sides plus 400 lbs of lead. Elevation is not a concern in North Texas.

Currently we have a 537 prop. We do not have any cavitation issues or any problems getting to surf speed. Currently we run about 3,200 RPM at surf speeds. 35ish is top end for the boat.

What will we gain if we go to a more aggressive prop? A 1235 and 2419 are numbers I keep seeing tossed around. I'm not educated on the benefits of changing diameter and pitch.

If you aren't having a problem, I don't see a reason to change.

A 1235 will bring up your RPM at surf speeds and keep the engine from bogging. If you don't have that issue, I wouldn't change just for the sake of change. My boat will not get up to speed with the 537 and all the weight, so I went to a 1433. If you add any form of suck gate, you will quickly eclipse that 537.

It's often a good idea to keep a spare propeller in your boat too. In that case, I'd suggest getting something slightly more aggressive to keep on hand.

Comment

If you arent having any issues i definitely wouldnt go 2419. I would go up to a 15 regardless... maybe a 2277 or 2315. That will net you more bite on bottom, a little more on top as well as less surf rpm.............. maybe 150rpm or so.
      Germaine Marine
      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

2016 Z3 with 440 Raptor. No ballast. Small crew.

2419 speeds
        30 mph = 4200

Speeds with OJ 948 (15"x14pitch)
        28 mph = 3650
        30 mph = 3872
        31 mph = 3960
        32 mph = 4100
        WOT = 39 mph = 5513

Speed with 2247 (15"x14.25 pitch)

22 mph = 2900
        28 mph = 3400
        30 mph =3600
        32 mph =3900
        WOT = 40.8 @ 5300

Comment

Very interesting you have the 537 - glad to hear since I have a spare 537...

I have the 2419 and its a monster out of the hole. I absolutely love it, but all we do is surf. I run a little more weight than you do - this prop/motor doesn't even blink...

Comment

Originally posted by jslayde1 View Post
            Very interesting you have the 537 - glad to hear since I have a spare 537...

I have the 2419 and its a monster out of the hole. I absolutely love it, but all we do is surf. I run a little more weight than you do - this prop/motor doesn't even blink...
            My dealer recommends the 2419. Did you have the 1433 before? I top out at 38mph @5300 rpm with the 1433, does the 2419 give you a little more?

Acme also recommended the 1939, but I'm not hearing anyone here running one.

Comment

Acme 1235 since I don't see the setting listed. 16 Z3 Raptor 400

I am pulling 3000lbs and change no problem.

WOT 42mph EMPTY 5350RPM
              Surf Speed with Weight- 3100-3300 RPM
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

^^^Also, no problems with full ballast and a small crew with the Acme 2247 and 4400 feet elevation.

I was underwhelmed with a 16 pitch prop at my elevation. Granted, I only got to use it for 30 seconds before my wife ran over a 3" stick that folded one of the blades I got it for $200 bones and don't want to spend the money to repair it since I would probably never use it regularly in Colorado given my brief experiment.

For me, the 2247 is the perfect prop but I would probably feel differently if I put 800lbs of lead in and had a full crew.

In short...my recommendation for a Z3 prop quiver would be

2247 (15" x 14.25 with 0.150 cup) for multisport use and medium weights
                2419 (15" x 12 pitch) for heavy loads and high altitude trips where you will do nothing but surf and won't cruise for long periods

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post

It's often a good idea to keep a spare propeller in your boat too. In that case, I'd suggest getting something slightly more aggressive to keep on hand.
                  Sorry to hijack for a RZX2 question, but our main lake (Folsom) has a ridiculous amount of debris floating in it right now. After playing log frogger for hours last night I determined that I had best get a spare prop stored on the boat pronto. I've yet to add any PNP or Lead so just running stock ballast on a 2017 RZX2. May hit some higher elevations in the future, but would like a bit more hole shot and higher end if possible. Not sure what the stock prop is or the clearance but I'm betting you guys already know this by heart. What prop would you recommend for a spare or immediate swap for the stock prop?

Comment

Working...
                  X