Bow cushion backboard replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow cushion backboard replacement question

Hi everyone. Finally getting around to repairing two bow cushions from my RZ2 that cracked last year. One is the left side cushion, the other is the walk through cushion. Tried to engage some local southern California upholstery shops, but none seemed very interested in large part because the backboard material is expensive and they don't stock any of it. So I have unskinned the cushions and will obtain and cut to shape the new material myself. Then I might reskin them, or just have the upholstery people do it.

1. I think the current matte grey 1/2" material is "Starboard" or a similar product like "Seaboard". Was trying to find a local plastics place with remnants but had no luck. Looks like I can order a whole 4x8' sheet for $200+ dollars, or get 2x4' sheets for $75 each in stock. I basically need a half sheet. Couldn't find anyplace selling the theoretically more economical "Seaboard".

2. My local plastics shop did have some 1/2" white smooth HDPE cutting board material. It is heavier than the current material, but seems to flex less. I think it will still take a staple but I'm not sure. Probably doesn't have the UV resistance, but it is on the back of the cushion so I don't think that is a problem.

Question: Has anybody replaced their cushion backing materials with more economical HDPE cutting board or some other material? Or is brand name "Starboard" really the best way to go?

Question: Has anybody upsized to 3/4" thick material for more strength, then just pulled the skins down tighter to retain the same shape?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I recently added a bow cushion to my boat...I bought the HDPE from "interstate plastic" online...but called them to order at 888-768-5759. They have quite a few different styles and thicknesses. I ended up going with 3/4" cause I did not want it to break, knowing the kids walk on it a LOT...pretty heavy and SURE it will never break, probably could have done 1/2" and been ok.
    What I like about this company is they will cut to size and ship....I needed my widest at 16" (it tapers down to 14" on other side) and longest at 30"...so I ordered a piece that was 17" X 31". Think the piece was around $60...then they wanted like $30 to ship and think I talked them down to around $20.
    Anyway...when I got it, I made a template using cardboard till perfect and then traced it onto the HDPE and cut it out with jigsaw. I had the upholster shop do the rest and they had no issue putting staples in it, not sure tho what kind of staple gun they used. Turned out looking like OEM and very happy with it considering I paid around $175 total and to order would have cost me $600 with 2 month lead time from factory.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X