Question about power and weight 2016 rz2 with 400 raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about power and weight 2016 rz2 with 400 raptor

Need some opinions. Have owned my boat since new. Now has 42 hours services done as per tige requirements.

This season I added 500 lbs of lead. 250 a side as often my crew consists of wife, kid and dog. Boat has surf xl so 2400 of water plus 500 of lead.

Last few weekends my crew has been bigger 4 to 5 passengers and the boat has seemed really lazy. Like wouldn't pull surf wave unless I ran with reduced ballast. Even then hard to get it past 11 mph. Never a problem pre lead or in the past. I have had 12 people in the boat full ballast and it would pull surf speed for a joke in the past with no lead.

Last few weekends it's been a dog. I hear a tick tick tick from the intake. It's like a miss but there is no codes. I tested intake pressure with vacuum gauge and it does miss intermittently but it's slight. Again no codes and No engine lights.

I was out tonight with wife and kid plus dog and it seemed ok? I have the lead in the boat and full ballast. The boat pulled a surf wave and I went up in speed to 12.8 mph which is way faster than I need. Tick tick is still there no codes but it does seem better.

Am I just over loading the boat? Hard to imagine when I hear guys adding 500 a locker etc. Anyway my dealer is a drive but I don't think I'm crazy it's down on power something seems off.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guess it possible you have something going on with the engine, I cant help you with that one....but under normal circumstances, no way you have power issue with the Raptor 400 in that boat with under 3k of ballast and couple people.
    Do you know what PROP you have? That would be my first guess if you are not feeling the power and easiest way to get low end torque.
    What prop, what is elevation, etc?

Comment

Ballast plus 500 in lead and 5 people could easily be overloading the stock prop. Switch it out.
      Germaine Marine
      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

It's the stock prop... no idea what comes on the boat. Strange thing is it use to pull the same amount of load with this prob. Strange I think there is an issue.

Comment

I have the PnP bags from wakemakers as well as 500lbs of lead. With just 4-5 of us in the boat its fine. But with a larger group, the boat won't get out of its own way. I took the PnP out and threw them on the beach and all was fine. I'm not a real happy camper at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post
            It's the stock prop... no idea what comes on the boat. Strange thing is it use to pull the same amount of load with this prob. Strange I think there is an issue.

Hey Rob was waiting to see you on here. I'm the other rz2 on the head pond. Lead is way different than water weight. If you move some lead around does it make a difference. Is the noise strictly when you have your surf wave on. What's the rpm when you are surfing. Do have taps 3. Are you listed or evenly weighted?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cek1 View Post
              I have the PnP bags from wakemakers as well as 500lbs of lead. With just 4-5 of us in the boat its fine. But with a larger group, the boat won't get out of its own way. I took the PnP out and threw them on the beach and all was fine. I'm not a real happy camper at this point.
              What motor what prop?
              Germaine Marine

Comment

My prop was a 357. I have spoken with my dealer and the tick is apparently normal at idle. It maybe as there are no engine lights and empty the boat seems fine. I ordered a new prob from wakemakers which should arrive tomorrow I am going to try this and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post

no water in the bilge?
                  Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                    no water in the bilge?
                    Nope it was dry. I will report back with new prop and will see how that works loaded up.

Comment

Tick tick tick can be a spark plugs boot that worked it's way loose or got nocked off and finding it's way to ground..seen it with plugs and primary coil. Usually have to be super close to hear it though. Worth crawling around and checking. Crazier things have happened, and would explain a power loss/low power condition, and what feels like a miss

Comment

Installed 1235 prop

Run full weight 100 percent all four corners plus the lead and a small crew and the boat pulls the load. Did before but it does spin up easier.

Lost about 6 to 7 mph but don't really care.

Hope to have a few more people this weekend will see how it makes out.

With taps 3 I am able to get 8 to 9 degrees of bow rise and 4 to 6 roll without any issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X