Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes a visual check just isn't enough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes a visual check just isn't enough!

Went out on Sunday afternoon after a great motorcycle ride to breakfast with the wife and friends. We finally have the wave we wanted and are really starting to get the hang of things when I noticed the overflow on the starboard side stopped running and the bilge drain running full steam! Oh no I says and jump it of the water, take the helm and head for the dock with all the drain pumps running.
    Good news, we made to show and didn't seem to take on anymore water. Only thing I can think is a bag let go on me, but they look fine. I visually inspect all ballast fittings before heading out, turns out visual didn't quite hack it as the starboard drain fitting unscrewed while we were out surfing and the bag obviously drained into the engine compartment.
    Just thought I would remind everyone to make sure those fittings are snug when inspecting them. Happy 4th!

What year/model boat?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

2006 22v, FlyHigh sacs and aerator pumps. I just didn't think those fittings would back themselves out. I always check the quick connects, just never check the threaded fitting.

Comment

These fittings sometimes back themselves out. However they are also known to pop out of the threaded fitting due to the pressure the water places on them. If you are leaving the pump on and the overflow is coming out for more than a short time this may have caused the situation you speak of. I know this as it has happened to me.
        Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Happened to me as well. At least I know the auto bilge works

Comment

Used to happen to me, the headache wasn't worth the price of replacing fittings in the future if I decide to do something different so I glued them together with PVC glue.

Comment

A loose fitting is not out of the question, but one that un-threaded all the way sounds like one that popped out. Gluing in helps, as well as plumbing routing that reduces the chances of the full sac from resting on the fitting.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the helpful tips everyone.

Comment

Out to Lake Powell this year my 15 z3, both of the front bags fittings came out. I didn't think there was anyway that they could pop all the way out. I figured they never got screwed all they way in.

Comment

When gluing the fittings, do you just use normal pvc cement on the threads and screw together permanently? Is it that simple?

Comment

Yes, and it does not much to lock the threads but you still need to make sure the fitting seats and compresses the sealing o ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X