25% OFF Tigé Gear Store thru 7/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25% OFF Tigé Gear Store thru 7/4

Happy Fourth of July from Tigé. Celebrate with 25% OFF.
    Promo Code: FOURTHOFF
    *Discount available on Gear Store items only. Shop now at store.tige.com. Code active through 7/4/17.

https://store.tige.com
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Thanks for posting...

If it was a discount on a new boat I would have one ordered.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Tried to buy a t shirt. $21 shipping for one shirt? But a bargain for next day air at $148.33??

Comment

Originally posted by jeremiah.hough View Post
        Tried to buy a t shirt. $21 shipping for one shirt? But a bargain for next day air at $148.33??
        $21 for shipping? I ordered a few items to Cali and it's only $10 not sure if it makes a difference in zip code.

Comment

Shipping to Canada was almost 50. Do you know if I can pick some stuff up at the factory?

Comment

you can... just email them.
            Germaine Marine
            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

not defending tige, just sharing some thoughts about shipping these days. Both fedx and ups now take the size of the box into account. they look at the ratio between the weight and box dimensions. What happens is that light items, say a shirt, cost as much as a heavy item, like a prop. This is a result of the box dimensions and the ratio of size to weight. Why? because a heavy box increases fuel cost, but a large box eats up room on a truck that could be filled by more paying customers' boxes. This has allowed USPS to quietly raise their shipping prices over the past year. Flat rate, regional and retail ground have all seen an increase.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

UPS has a flat rate customs policy that is crippling to Canadians. If you spend $200 on an item, they apply a blanket $50 customs fee. (let's call that what it is - a 25% tariff) In their view this can cover any possible items under the sun, whether those items are free trade or not. The item will arrive at your door with the $50 owing. You get no advance notice. You can choose to send it back or pay it. That is how you find out. In return, they subsidize the shipper with that $50 such that shipping to Canada is the same price as shipping to the US. So the result is the shippers get a terrific deal at the expense of their customers (who are already paying an additional shipping premium to ship to the great white north). So companies who want to ship to Canadians tend to bias towards UPS. It looks like a good deal. This is why UPS is so prominent for shipping up to Canada. Don't believe me? Here's the chart:

ups.PNG

UPS in turn then blames Canada for the customs fee, when in truth we have free trade on most items. They are just fleecing Canadians on the 95% of items that don't have duty.

As a result, I demand vendors not to use UPS or I won't buy. USPS is the best, FedEx is second. I don't know who Tige uses.

The Tige store doesn't have any of the sizes I want so I didn't buy anything.

Sorry for the rant.
                Last edited by JohnnieMo; 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

In return, they subsidize the shipper with that $50 such that shipping to Canada is the same price as shipping to the US. So the result is the shippers get a terrific deal at the expense of their customers
                  um, not sure where this info comes from, but I can say without hesitation, I as a UPS shipper for 10 years now shipping to CA, have never received any sort of kickback or subsidy to offset the added cost of a tariff, duty or tax. All of my UPS shipment charges that are passed on to the customer, are as close to actual as can be. If I charge a customer $60, its because UPS is charging me, $60. I get no sort if dividend back from UPS.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    um, not sure where this info comes from, but I can say without hesitation, I as a UPS shipper for 10 years now shipping to CA, have never received any sort of kickback or subsidy to offset the added cost of a tariff, duty or tax. All of my UPS shipment charges that are passed on to the customer, are as close to actual as can be. If I charge a customer $60, its because UPS is charging me, $60. I get no sort if dividend back from UPS.
                    I didn't say kickback. I said subsidy. It obviously costs more to ship to Canada. It is further away and our communities are smaller and harder to get to. (i.e. the demand is lower). So they provide better rates than their competitors to attract more business. It is paid for by a back end gouging of the receiver to the tune of the chart I provided above. This is above and beyond any "customs and taxes" the shipper may be adding. There are class action lawsuits around this.

For example, if I ordered a propeller from you, I would pay for the propeller, the shipping to Canada, the customs, the taxes, the Canadian dollar exchange (35%) and $66.85 CAD due at my door.

Their goal is to attract a shipper to use UPS exclusively (for shipping around the entire world). The attractive rates to Canada help that fact. But they also want to push you into using their Express service at much higher rates. Punitive duties at the base level make them attractive at the outset, but awful on delivery.

I'm not sure how this works out for a lower volume shipper - I find these come in to effect more with the medium sized web store businesses.
                    Last edited by JohnnieMo; 07-07-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, we do get the shaft on international shipping rates. Most things will be free shipping within the US but as soon as you put a Canadian address it's $ 40-60. Very thankful I live 2 minutes from the border and can walk across to pick up my parcels.......The advantages of living in a border town. Even with our current crappy exchange by the time you pay for said item in a store up here and the taxes I can still get most things out of the US for less even if I do have to pay for shipping and the $4 to pick up a parcel. Our own shipping costs in Canada are way out of whack cost wise as well which doesn't help.

Comment

Call it what you want John, you clearly implied that that $50 UPS collects from CAD residents, comes back to the pocket of the US shipper. That could not be any further from the truth in my case. You stated that me as a UPS shipper, collect from the customer the cost to ship to CAD but yet UPS charges me that rate, then credits me $50 so its as if I shipped to south carolina. As if I made a net profit. Simply not true at all.

If UPS is collecting funds in the name of a tax, duty or tariff and then that money is not going to CAD, then I suggest you contact your elected official.

If its labeled as some sort of shipping fee, then I understand your point, just dont make the shipper out to be the beneficiary of it, as they are not.

I know first hand it cost more to ship to CAD, I see the charges to my account. In no way am I being subsidized to ship to CAD. If i was, I would not know that it indeed cost more, to ship to CAD.

I have also shipped to Mexico, S Africa, EU, AUS and Hong Kong. All of them are expensive as well. Still looking for my subsidy on those also.

Comment

Mike, you're right. How I said it implies you are getting something back. That is not true and I apologize for leaving you with that.

UPS is publishing a price, which you are charging in good faith, but that is half the story. They publish that lower price knowing full well they will claim a ransom from the recipient when the package arrives. The shipper looks bad, and the recipient is angry. We both lose.

I don't actually remember what UPS writes on the invoice, as I don't ever receive packages from them anymore, but it is some form of brokerage fee. Any time you import something, someone, somewhere has to determine the tariff/taxes owing and remit them to the government. That is what a broker does. In the case of UPS, you are forced to use their broker, who charges the rate table I showed above. They charge that fee regardless of whether or not any duty is even owing. It is a catch-all to ensure no matter how high the duty, they come out ahead. That is the scam, and that is what is disingenuous.

In truth, a made in USA item is duty free under NAFTA. The most any broker can collect is the sales tax plus their fee. UPS uses a fee scale as high as 33% as I showed above and that is why I don't do business with them.

As BCRider suggested, you can import the items yourself at a border crossing. (i.e. be your own broker) You simply declare the items, declare their origin, and then pay the tariff/tax on the items. If you spend more than 48 hours in the US a tariff free amount starts to apply. In my experience the border agents just charge 5% GST and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                          X