Steering issue after log damage and prop change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering issue after log damage and prop change

First some background...I bought a 2007 Tige 22ve about a month ago. We had it out a couple of times and then about a week and a half ago we were out and hit a large log that was floating just under the surface of the water and damaged the prop. The prop was an Acme 537. I replaced that prop with a new Acme 1235 and took the boat out this past Saturday.

Here is my question...I noticed some weirdness in the steering on Saturday. When at slow speeds and on the trailer the steering wheel easily spins with one finger in both directions. However, when we were cruising around 25mph or so, it would easily turn a little ways in both directions, but then it got hard to turn. While it was hard to turn it was like the boat wasn't really responding to the turning of the wheel. If I pushed through the stiffness and continued to turn the wheel then the boat would eventually start turning again. At first I only noticed this when turning right, but then it happened when turning left as well.

I've been doing some searching on here and found some threads about prop cavitation. Is that what I'm experiencing? I didn't notice it the other times that we had the boat out before the prop change. Is it because of the different prop? My concern is that something besides the prop got damaged when we hit the log.

I also noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left it hits what seems to be a "solid" stop, but when I turn it all the way to the right the stop seems "soft". Like I said, we haven't had the boat very long, so I'm not sure if that could also be related to the damage or if it was always like that.

I took some pictures of the prop and rudder and also the inside part of the rudder (as good as I could get by reaching my phone down in there.) They are below. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_8237.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8259.jpg
    IMG_8266.jpg

Rudder is bent. Look at the gap between the front edge of the rudder and the base and back edge of the rudder and base. The back edge looks closer to the base.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I agree with Mike. Looks bent to me

Comment

Here is another picture from more of a side angle with the rudder straight. I don't really see the gap difference here. Maybe it was the angle of the other pictures? Or maybe it only shows up when the wheel is turned? I'll have to take a closer look when I get home from work tonight.

IMG_8235.jpg

Comment

So the question is how stiff is stiff? On the trailer it will be easy. Less friction. At low speed in the water steering is sluggish. At speed there is some resistance but may not be much as you say. Also an older steering cable can cause stiffness at certain positions.
          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Shoot us a good pic with the rudder straight and looking from the back. How hard was the strike. I have been in a boat that hit a tree and it bent the rudder, shaft, support and blew out the seal. How bad was the prop bent?

Comment

Here are a few more pics. I'll have to get one looking from the back. I don't see where it is bent, but I could be missing something. I'll also get a pic of the bent prop. It wasn't completely destroyed, but it was bent enough to cause a vibration. When the steering gets stiff it doesn't require two hands or anything, but it is definitely stiffer than I remember it being before the incident with the log. The weird part is how the boat doesn't seem to be responding to the steering while it is stiff.

IMG_8298.jpg
              IMG_8299.jpg
              IMG_8300.jpg
              IMG_8301.jpg
              IMG_8302.jpg

Comment

Have someone turn the wheel while you look at and feel all the associated parts for roughness and binding as well as sloppiness. Did the shear pin key, shear when your prop hit the log?

Comment

Working...
                X