Spare parts for a brand new boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare parts for a brand new boat?

For you guys running brand new or fairly brand new boats do you carry any spare parts with you? I know on the older boats most guys would carry spare belts, impeller's, etc around with them. I was just curious if guys with brand new boats do the same thing? I ask because in the near future I have 2 separate week long lake trips planned where my boat will be the sole provider of fun and I don't want the boat to go down due to a simple item like a belt, etc.

For reference I have a 2017 R21 w/ Raptor 400....

I don't currently carry spares. Might add a spare prop to my list, but just basic tools a cell phone and a flashlight for me. I take a week long trip every year with my 400 Raptor and its been solid with no issues (but I do have it serviced regularly with the dealer).

Comment

I take a belt and an impeller and the tools to change. Spare spark plugs and tools to change-never needed but a habit. Also a battery jump pack charged up if I am going to be on the lake for several days. Mine boat is not brand new but newer.

I did shred a belt on the lake. Belt jumped after riding through a big wave. Made it back, but the is why I have one now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have newer boat, 2014 with 190hrs (bought new in 2015) I keep spare....prop/puller, impeller, set of belts, tool kit...at house I always have spare oil/filter and fuel filters. I just prefer to always be prepared to do a little maintainance so I don't unexpectedly have a weekend or lake day ruined...not that its ever happened, but I wanna keep it that way.

Comment

Spare prop and puller along with tools always go along in truck pulling my boat, along with a jack, spare tire and tire lug wrench. I keep a spare impeller in boat also at all times along with jumper cables and a quart of oil and luckily have never need. Otherwise you can get most parts at a part store.

Comment

^^definitely get all the tools needed to change your tire. Don't forget an Allen key to take of hub cap to get to lug nuts if you have worx or other wheels with a fancy hub caps. IMO if you've been servicing your impeller regularly then shouldn't need to carry one, but if you are I'd also be sure to get a impeller puller and save yourself a huge headache. Belts not a bad idea but the Raptor belts are tough to get off and about the only way to do it is with this.
            https://www.walmart.com/ip/Performan...&wl13=&veh=sem

I got mine at harbor freight. I also carry a spare bilge plug just in case it goes for a walk. Lastly I always keep one of these in the truck
            http://m.ebay.com/itm/034-BACK-UP-BU...-/120941559235

If for some reason your reverse solenoid gives up(prettt rare) or truck stops sending power (usually the problem) it will save you a ton of headache and you aren't that guy at the launch if it happens.
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-23-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I have a 2016 and I don't really think we have to keep some spare part haha..
              in the boat I just have basic tools and emergency kit.
              At the lake house instead I always keep a spare impeller, sparkplug, some oil and filter, belts and I have my first propeller since I change it for a 1433 my other 1235 like new can serve as a spare.
              But I'm a maniac and a mechanic so I always prefer to be prepared haha.
              Like you said it's very sad to be stock just for some minor distinction.

But as I said it's very rare to have things like that broking out new.
              Personally I never had to take any of my spare parts and i bought it new.if you make your maintenance schedule correctly everything should be perfect!

Comment

I keep a spare prop (along with necessary prop change tools) and spare ballast pump at the lake house. I carry a pair of swim goggles and a VERY sharp knife on the boat in case a tow line gets somewhere it shouldn't. Basic medical kit on boat along with Quick Clot in case god forbid happens. Cell phone, flares, tow rope in case I either have to tow or be towed back to dock, marine radio, anchor

Comment

New stuff breaks too. Better to be prepared than sidelined! On a trip to your local lake breaking down might not be as big a deal but on big water it can be a serious problem.
                  My boat is an 07'. I'm pretty meticulous about preventative maintenance on all my toys. Working on the boat at home in your shop is a lot easier than at the lake or on the side of the road.
                  Some things I carry in the boat-Spare belts, impeller and puller, prop and puller, variety of fuses for different gadgets installed, emergency med kit, radio, flares, whistle, air horn, signaling mirror, all the tools I need for common jobs, swim googles, flippers (I've had to dive for more than one anchor), tow rope, spot light, zip ties(great for lots of problems)
                  On longer trips I always have a well stocked tool box in my truck and bring extra sets of bearings, hub seals, grease, and latex gloves in case of trailer hub issues.
                  I prepare to solve problems as easily as possible but good preventative maintenance is the real key to keeping anything running well.
                  Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-24-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

No kidding jet driver. I think the new boats should include items like taps screens and every part of the taps 3 system.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                      No kidding jet driver. I think the new boats should include items like taps screens and every part of the taps 3 system.
                      You're not joking! With as many issues as I see posted here with the Tige touch it reinforces my decision to stay with an old school mostly analog setup, well, that and I saved over 10k

Comment

Hater
                        Germaine Marine
                        "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Not a hater at all. I want a RZX2 BAD! But at this point there's no way I'd buy a new one. $$$ number 1, but I'll let the first owner go through the headache of lost time due to repairs. Once it's finally up and running great, say 3-4 years old then I'll jump on it. Then just need to guess when to sell it before the parts, like touch screens that won't be available, go bad.
                          I'd rather buy an older boat that's proven then gamble my summer away on a new one. And when my old boat does break I'll tear into it and fix it myself instead of letting it sit in a shop for 3 weeks waiting for warranty to cover it.

Comment

Not a hater at all. I want a RZX2 BAD! But at this point there's no way I'd buy a new one. $$$ number 1, but I'll let the first owner go through the headache of lost time due to repairs. Once it's finally up and running great, say 3-4 years old then I'll jump on it. Then just need to guess when to sell it before the parts, like touch screens that won't be available, go bad.
                            I'd rather buy an older boat that's proven then gamble my summer away on a new one. And when my old boat does break I'll tear into it and fix it myself instead of letting it sit in a shop for 3 weeks waiting for warranty to cover it.
                            Just busting your balls man
                            Germaine Marine
                            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I know. But I feel better having got that off my chest.

Comment

Working...
                              X