Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinyl Cleaning Guidance (Totally Awesome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl Cleaning Guidance (Totally Awesome)

Good Day All,
    I now that there are a bunch of threads on cleaning the vinyl in our boats. Our vinyl is getting a bit sticky and I feel it is time to really get down and dirty with it. I have generally used Meguiar's vinyl cleaner followed by 303 but I am not sure what the previous owner has used.

I have really liked the Meguiar's products, but based on what I have read, the TA is the way to go for deep cleaning. I finally found the Totally Awesome product at our local Dollar General and picked up a container. I am curious how you are all using, applying and rinsing off this product.

1: Are you diluting the TA or applying it at full strength? Diluting it for touch ups and full strength for deep cleaning?
    2: I have seen recommendation to use a soft brush. Are you putting it in a spray bottle and spraying the vinyl then using the brush or dipping the brush in a container and applying that way?
    3: How are you rinsing it off? Using a garden hose and spraying it down, letting the water flow off and on the floor and in to the bilge or are you taking a rag with clean water and removing it that way?

I know this seems like it should be simple. I am working on a 2007 with original interior that is in pretty good condition. I want to make sure that I do what I can to preserve it instead of potentially damage it.

As mentioned above, I intend to follow it up with 303.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

here you go:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiars-...&wl13=&veh=sem

I use this stuff. It's a professional product, so it only comes in 1-gallon containers. But I have a spray bottle that I use (I dilute it down about 4 or 5 to 1) and a soft bristled brush. It makes very quick and light work of vinyl - amazing stuff. after I'm finished, I just wipe down all the seats with a wet rag.

I got the recommendation from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCJiN3AaudY&t=393s

he's annoying and condescending to listen to, but I can't argue with the results.

Comment

I used the TA full strength when deep cleaning then I used hula boat care after each trip. Don't dilute the Ta for a deep clean but make sure you get a good coat of 303 on after so you vinyl doesn't dry out. I usually spray it on then used a soft brush to really help get the dirt out. Then I just wipe it off with a towel or sometimes after I wipe it off I get a water spray bottle and rinse it one more time. I recommend to everything in sections, so do the TA scrub, wipe off, rinse on a section then put the 303 on then move to another section this way the TA won't dry out the vinyl.

Comment

^ I do the same as this with Malco for cleaning.

For my brush I stole this from the wife. It's a Norwex brand with rubber bristles and works great.
        Attached Files

Comment

I now use TA after reading about it on here. My new boat was super dirty when I got it. Dirt deep into the textured lines of the vinyl. I first tried dish soap and water and was very impressed with how well it worked, but I could still see dirt in the textured lines. I could not get it out. I got the TA and diluted it to 10:1, like the instructions on the bottle say to do. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed directly to the vinyl. I then scrubbed it with a semi soft bristle brush (bathroom cleaner type). Without much effort every bit of dirt came out and the already clean parts were WAY cleaner and the white was super bright! After scrubbing the TA will lather up a bit. I had a wash cloth and bucket of water on stand by. I just wiped it off with the cloth and water. The boat looked brand new once finished. I'm a firm TA supporter now. I mean it cost a buck and is like getting 10 bottles of the name brand stuff. $1.00 or $200.00?

Comment

What totally awesome product are we using? They have several at our stores locally.

Comment

I got this at dollar store...works great!
              Attached Files

Comment

I tried the TO for the first time a few days ago. The stuff does really work. But for you guys that aren't diluting it, are you really just wiping it off? I took one of my cushions out of the boat to try the TO. Not diluted it worked great with a brush. But taking a hose to the cushion showed soapy water for at least 10 minutes straight. I continued with the rest of my interior and saw the same results. Stuff def works. But there's no way it's all coming off with just a wet rag. I hosed the entire boat down and it took forever to not see suds. I think diluting it at least a bit is the way to go.

Also finished it off with the 303.
                BABz - babzusa.com
                Austin, TX

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the replies. Here is the product that I picked up at our local Dollar General. I picked up a spray bottle and then a concentrate refill bottle. I never gave it any thought until a few posts, but is this the stuff that you all are using?
                  Spray Bottle:
                  http://www.dollargeneral.com/las-awesome-cleaner.html
                  Refill:
                  http://www.dollargeneral.com/las-tot...ill-64-oz.html

I was not sure if the spray bottle was for application or still at full concentration.

Last night I managed to get all of the vinyl that is attached to my 22Ve done. It took me about 3 hours, much longer than I thought. I still have to do all of the removable pieces. The good thing is that I don't have to pull the boat out of storage again to finish the project up. I was also amazed at how much crap builds up under the cushions - will have to give that space a wash/wax as well.

What I did was sprayed the vinyl with the yellow TA and allowed it to sit for a minute or two - working 1-2 panels (depending on size) at a time. I then took my scrub brush, something similar to the one below and scrubbed the vinyl.
                  scrub brush.jpg
                  After scrubbing with the brush, I took a clean rag with water and wiped everything down. I would then rinse the rag and wipe down again. After Blackouts post, I am wondering if I removed enough. Then after the 2nd wipe down, I dried it with a towel. Before applying the 303, I treated the next panel with TA so it could work things loose while I applied the 303 to the panel.

I thought some of our panels were cream, turns out they were white. I still had a few little specs of dark in the white vinyl and some pink spots as well that didn't come out. I thought they may have been that odd pink mold, but I guessing that there was some splatter with a red drink at some point in the boat. We have only had it for a year and it seems to have been well cared for. I was still amazed at how much stuff came off the vinyl with the TA. After treating it with the 303, the vinyl felt nice again and the stickiness was gone.

Thanks again for the guidance, hopefully I didn't mess things up by leaving too much of the TA on the vinyl to dry it out. Will continue to do wipe downs after each outing and top with 303. I think the several hour deep cleaning can be left to once a year. I think this fall, I am going to pull the removable panels so that I can clean, treat and bag them over the winter. That way next spring, I will have 1/2 of my interior all ready to go and it will allow me to actually work on my boat over our long Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                    Hi All,

Thanks for all of the replies. Here is the product that I picked up at our local Dollar General. I picked up a spray bottle and then a concentrate refill bottle. I never gave it any thought until a few posts, but is this the stuff that you all are using?
                    Spray Bottle:
                    http://www.dollargeneral.com/las-awesome-cleaner.html
                    Refill:
                    http://www.dollargeneral.com/las-tot...ill-64-oz.html

I was not sure if the spray bottle was for application or still at full concentration.

Last night I managed to get all of the vinyl that is attached to my 22Ve done. It took me about 3 hours, much longer than I thought. I still have to do all of the removable pieces. The good thing is that I don't have to pull the boat out of storage again to finish the project up. I was also amazed at how much crap builds up under the cushions - will have to give that space a wash/wax as well.

What I did was sprayed the vinyl with the yellow TA and allowed it to sit for a minute or two - working 1-2 panels (depending on size) at a time. I then took my scrub brush, something similar to the one below and scrubbed the vinyl.
                    [ATTACH]45900[/ATTACH]
                    After scrubbing with the brush, I took a clean rag with water and wiped everything down. I would then rinse the rag and wipe down again. After Blackouts post, I am wondering if I removed enough. Then after the 2nd wipe down, I dried it with a towel. Before applying the 303, I treated the next panel with TA so it could work things loose while I applied the 303 to the panel.

I thought some of our panels were cream, turns out they were white. I still had a few little specs of dark in the white vinyl and some pink spots as well that didn't come out. I thought they may have been that odd pink mold, but I guessing that there was some splatter with a red drink at some point in the boat. We have only had it for a year and it seems to have been well cared for. I was still amazed at how much stuff came off the vinyl with the TA. After treating it with the 303, the vinyl felt nice again and the stickiness was gone.

Thanks again for the guidance, hopefully I didn't mess things up by leaving too much of the TA on the vinyl to dry it out. Will continue to do wipe downs after each outing and top with 303. I think the several hour deep cleaning can be left to once a year. I think this fall, I am going to pull the removable panels so that I can clean, treat and bag them over the winter. That way next spring, I will have 1/2 of my interior all ready to go and it will allow me to actually work on my boat over our long Winter.
                    Try the same process but use a hose on the removable pieces. You will see what I mean. I don't think it's a big deal if some of the TO stays on the vinyl. But the 303 instructions say it should only be applied to clean surfaces. Since this was my first go with the 303, I wanted to make sure all the TO was gone. I don't know if that's necessary or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge in the area will chime in.
                    BABz - babzusa.com
                    Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutATX View Post
                      Try the same process but use a hose on the removable pieces. You will see what I mean. I don't think it's a big deal if some of the TO stays on the vinyl. But the 303 instructions say it should only be applied to clean surfaces. Since this was my first go with the 303, I wanted to make sure all the TO was gone. I don't know if that's necessary or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge in the area will chime in.
                      I think I am going to dilute the TA a bit. I think I have 4-5 ounces left in my 20 ounce spray bottle. I might just top it off giving me a 4:1 or 5:1 dilution and see how it works. If it doesn't work as well, I still have the concentrate refill and an empty spray bottle to apply in full concentration. Not that it costs that much, but if I can dilute it and get even more out of it. Even if a 5:1 ratio, a 20 ounce bottle only costs 20 cents instead of a dollar. My $3 refill jug would be around for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                        I think I am going to dilute the TA a bit. I think I have 4-5 ounces left in my 20 ounce spray bottle. I might just top it off giving me a 4:1 or 5:1 dilution and see how it works. If it doesn't work as well, I still have the concentrate refill and an empty spray bottle to apply in full concentration. Not that it costs that much, but if I can dilute it and get even more out of it. Even if a 5:1 ratio, a 20 ounce bottle only costs 20 cents instead of a dollar. My $3 refill jug would be around for quite some time.
                        I'm going to do some experimenting today too. I think it not washing off as easily will probably lead me to diluting it.
                        BABz - babzusa.com
                        Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                        X