Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Troubleshooting Amp Channel

Hi All -
    I was hanging out with our boat in the storage unit last night...finally have everything back to water ready - just need to clean her up and can FINALLY get on the water. I had the tunes on and noticed that I have one speaker that is not working.
    I thought it may have been the speaker, so I removed both speakers in the bow and swapped them. The problem remained in the same speaker location, thus eliminating the speaker as an option.

The wires going to the bad location are clear and clear/blue at the speaker. Spend a bunch of time trying to locate this speaker wire at either of the amps with no luck. Pulled the loom back on the wire and found a little extension that was connected to the brown and black wires. I was able to locate these on the amp (see pic below). If you look at the photo, the brown and black are on channel 1.
    Amp Wiring.jpg

The Amp in question is a Kicker ZX700.5. I believe this amp powers the 6 in boat speakers and the sub. Is there any way to use a multi meter or other tool to determine if the channel of the amp is actually creating any output, or it is just a bad channel?

Also, below is a picture of the speakers we have, does anyone have an old grill that is not broken laying around for these? As you see, this one is broken and has some sharp points. If I cannot locate a new one, I will just sand down the sharp point and swap grilles with the one under the helm.
    0615172046 (Large).jpg

Thanks for any guidance.
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Safe to assume that both the mid-bass woofer, whats in the 2nd pic, and the tweeter are both not producing sound? You would likely hear more from the tweeter and feel the mid-bass cone moving if you rested your hand on it.

The reason for the wire color change is because the wires leave the amp and go to a remote cross-over network, then from there to the mid-bass and tweeter.

Swap the left and right speaker leads at the amp and see if the problem stays or moves. Next, swap the left and right RCAs at the amp. I have a feeling you will find the amp chnl is dead. Not unheard. Short term, pair the out speaker up with the working speaker at the amp. Should get you by for a little, but you will need to upgrade.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Safe to assume that both the mid-bass woofer, whats in the 2nd pic, and the tweeter are both not producing sound? You would likely hear more from the tweeter and feel the mid-bass cone moving if you rested your hand on it.

The reason for the wire color change is because the wires leave the amp and go to a remote cross-over network, then from there to the mid-bass and tweeter.

Swap the left and right speaker leads at the amp and see if the problem stays or moves. Next, swap the left and right RCAs at the amp. I have a feeling you will find the amp chnl is dead. Not unheard. Short term, pair the out speaker up with the working speaker at the amp. Should get you by for a little, but you will need to upgrade.
      Chp - Thanks for the reply

Yes, you are correct, there is not sound out of either the woofer or the tweeter when connected to that channel. I did verify that

Thinking about it, I believe the wires were spliced into the factory since I recall that Kicker did a very nice job of using different connections to minimize/eliminate the risk of hooking up the wires incorrectly.

Thanks for the tips on the other things to swap, I never gave that any thought. I will do this over the weekend and get back to you.

If I need to upgrade, I know a guy , and if you recall I was intending to update the HU, remotes and add an onboard charger. I will evaluate the speakers and hopefully can get the updates sent on one order. Sometimes procrastination pays off.

Thanks again - I do appreciate the tips and will get back to you with my findings.
      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Working...
      X