Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank

Question - I am a new Z1 Tige owner, this is my second Tige boat - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOve it, although the gas tank is odd, I have filled it twice, yet she only takes 29-30 gallons, yet the fuel gauge reads empty, beofre I go to fill it up, it is supposed to have a 48 gallon tank, any insight, before I bring it back to the dealer, seems odd. There are two gas gaps, one on either side and I thought she had two tanks, but that seems to not be the case, anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

My Z3 has 2 caps that goto the same tank. Seems like a gauge issue.

Comment

It has 2 fills for 1 tank. There so you don't have to worry what side the pump is on.

Sounds like you have a bad gauge, wiring, or sending unit.

Comment

Are you opening both fuel caps when filling? If not, give that a try. It seems as if the fuel vent does not allow the air to escape fast enough and will vapor lock for a while. The fuel has to displace the air in the tank and if the air cannot get out, the fuel will not enter. Also try to fill slower, this will allow more air to escape.

If you are already doing this, then just pretend you didn't read any of this

EDIT (Add): It may not be the gauge, it could be the sending unit in the tank. The tank sending units in marine applications are notorious for:
        1: Being off, bouncing around
        2: Failing. The newer tech is getting better. We had a 1997 I/0 and over 5 years replaced the sending unit twice.

I believe there is a way with a multimeter to check the signal off of the sending unit to see if it is even sending a signal to the gauge. I don't know how, but a Google Search or TO search may result an answer. Looks like UNSTUCK covers it in the 2nd post on this thread
        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...l+sending+unit
        Last edited by Dandy; 06-13-2017, 03:39 PM.
        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

It could be a bad gauge. I imagine it should read at least half a tank, not empty. Dandy's tip to fill slower is the key, my '08 would vapor lock and spit out fuel if I pumped it too fast, and my now '13 model does the exact same thing. When it spit out fuel I thought it was full but I kept pumping slower and it took quite a bit more fuel. Not fun having to wipe the boat from fuel spilling everywhere. I'm gonna try opening both caps as suggested to see if that works.

Comment

Working...
          X