New 2017 RZX2 is finally here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 2017 RZX2 is finally here.

Just picked it up....but wish I was a lot more excited after dropping $220,000 (CND) on a boat. It already needs the alternator replaced.

Also maneuvering is brutal and I feel like I've never driven a boat before (traded in a Regal 2200RX Fastdeck no issues driving it, inboards, outboards, jetboats) . The Tige seems almost completely unresponsive to turn in reverse. The steering is so stiff it almost takes 2 hands at times (and I'm by no means a small guy) I can only imagine how hard it's going to be for my wife (if I ever let her drive it [emoji33]) and other times the steering feels good. The dealership told me everything is new and will break in but it seems excessive. Anyone else having these issues?

Included a pic but Orange metallic doesn't show up well in it, but it does in the sun.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Did you get steering wheel controls?
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

The Tige seems almost completely unresponsive to turn in reverse
      This is an inboard boat thing, not a tige thing. Totally different then your I/O, learning curve takes some getting used to

It already needs the alternator replaced.
      Seriously? Why did you ever take delivery of a boat with a bad alternator?

As to the tight steering, did you sea trial the boat before delivery?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Their is a metal on neoprene gear in the steering wheel control unit. If you have that and its tight, take it back to the dealer asap dont hammer on it or else you are gonna toast that gear and you wont even be able to limp it back. I heard its an alignment issue.

If you dont, I dont know of another reason why the steering would be tight. I dont think it being new would have that much of an effect.
        Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
          Did you get steering wheel controls?
          Yes Smart wheel

Comment

If that thing is crazy stiff sometimes and not others then dont hammer on it, tell your dealer the alignment on the metal to non metal gear needs to be checked.........
            Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              This is an inboard boat thing, not a tige thing. Totally different then your I/O, learning curve takes some getting used to

Seriously? Why did you ever take delivery of a boat with a bad alternator?

As to the tight steering, did you sea trial the boat before delivery?
              They just couldn't get the replacement alternator up to Canada in time for our pickup appointment today. It's coming in on Monday and it's noted on the delivery inspection. They have the quick charging system installed in it so I just need to plug an extention cord in at night to charge both batteries so we could get the first weekend out of it before it goes back Monday. Dealership is on our lake so that's not a big deal.

I guess I'll have to keep the bumpers on play around a lot till I get the hang of it as tight maneuvers are next to impossible even bumping the throttle it doesn't want to come around.

I'm still wondering if the stiff steering issue has something to do with some of the decreased maneuvering problems. It's almost like something is out if alignment in the cable and I'm forcing the wheel to turn but it's not doing anything. When I mean stiff, I'm talking as stiff as an old truck with no power steering, not just a little stiff.

Comment

Its not the cable that is the problem. The system with the smart wheel now has a second gear that has to be on the money, and to top it off its not metal on metal. Those two things make for a hellish disaster if not aligned basically giving you all the issues you listed that you are currently experiencing.....

Check it asap... before it lets go and you are stuck.
                Germaine Marine

Comment

Have someone (not the dealership) who has experience with inboards to go out with you and drive the boat so they can give you a good comparison on theirs to yours. Get them to reverse, dock the boat, etc along with other situations you think there's an issue, that should give you some confidence its not a Tige issue or maybe he/she will tell you it is an issue.

Comment

boat should turn and maneuver like a dream...... especially the new 2...
                    Germaine Marine

Comment

I've got a 17 Z3 that also has stiff steering, not sure if we have the same issue, I don't have the wheel controls on mine.
                      I'm waiting on my break-in service to address this and a couple other fit and finish issues with my dealer.
                      Steven Wellman, Tige owner since 2017

Comment

We have a 16 Z3. Right from day one the wheel felt like I'm in a Porsche. So smooth. Its a top of the line Tige and should feel amazing at the wheel. Take it back to your dealer and have them sort it our before you take her home. Its not going to Break in.

And Reverse will always be a **** show. Ive grown up in a Boston whaler family and our Z3 is the first Vdrive I have had experienced driving. The learning curve is big but short. The fist time out at the boat launch was lets say terrifying. Lol. When your whole life has been spent in boats that it doesn't matter if she kisses the dock of if you spill some gas all over and will turn is whatever direction you want. Now you own a boat that wont turn and has the nicest hull on the water. I have never been so afraid of a dock before.

Basically the key is go so slow in your approach and have a game plan. Also a bunch of fenders.

Comment

As the coast guard taught me in class - Only approach the dock as fast as you are willing to hit it.

When you are in reverse you have no rudder as the water is behind the prop when you are going forward so it always going to back a certain way. Once you figure this out you can use this for maneuvering. We have tight spots we go in as well and I always put people on the edges of the boat to push us off of the dock or their boats if need be.

I came from an I/O as well but did not take long to figure out the vdrive - be patient. As for your steering do what elevated says he knows what he is talking about he works for a dealer. Ours is butter smooth always has been. Only time it gets stiff is when the cable is going because we operate in brackish water so i need to replace every couple of years. Even then it is nothing like you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                            If that thing is crazy stiff sometimes and not others then dont hammer on it, tell your dealer the alignment on the metal to non metal gear needs to be checked.........
                            I had this issue with a smart wheel, thought i installed it wrong at first. After tearing it back apart and looking it over better, it appears to be poor engineering. There is too much play in between the plastic gear and gear that goes though the steering shaft, even if installed correctly it can bind in the hub. Also too much play between the metal gear and the hub causing it to bind. I have found that some nylon washers on the back side of the metal gear help keep the gears from binding and will help it steer smoothly without any binding.

Comment

The other issue is rudder. Check to see if its the new Tall rudder. If it is call your dealer and inquire about going back to the pre 17 or 18 rudder.
                              Germaine Marine

Comment

Working...
                              X