Help me spend my money! (New surfboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at picking up a skim board to add to the mix. Right now all I have is a LF Fish so I know most boards out there will be a decent step up however I'm having a hard time deciding..... My budget is $450 (might stretch it to $500 if need be)...For that amount I feel like probably my best bet is to grab one of the Doomswell blems. My only hesitation is the size. I'm 6'2" and weight ~210-215 lbs. The only size available right now is a 4'4" Skim (https://www.doomswell.com/collection...nt=28537678279)

Is that going to be too small for my build?

Second concern I have is how high maintenance these things are. I have a 2017 R21 so I do not have sub-floor ballast. I do have tower racks and bimini sleeves. I've read that I can't even put these things in a rack or a sleeve so what do guys do with these boards when their ballast is full (minus the RZX guys). We have a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old, and one due any day now so I don't want to have surfboard(s) laying on the floor with crazy kiddos running around on the boat. If it's a no-go on the rack/bimini what other skim board recommendations do you guys have?

I've been checking out the Ronix Technora line (I guess that replaced their carbon line) but any other suggestions for my price range?

Skim=Victoria all day.

I also think Nick at Chaos Surf has a carbon skim for sale in his board of the week section. That one would also be premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

X2 on the Chaos
      http://chaossurfco.com/board-of-the-...os-carbon-skim

Comment

Another vote for Victoria.
        For skim I always had a phase5 Danielo and loved it.
        I tried a Victoria factor few years ago and after that day I bought a Victoria captain.
        My girlfriend bought a Victoria debut too.
        We love Victoria wake.
        Never tried the boards of Nick But pretty sure they are really good board.
        Talk to him several time and he's a passionate. Love his fins

Comment

I think doom makes a nice board for a lot of people, its really preference. I got a doom from Dakota a while back, nice nice shape, but it just doesent stack up against SC in my opinion. To the tune that no one rides it and it stays at home.... just my .02

Heard victoria makes a nice skim, I ride a SC carbon skim and its a nice nice stick...... but I am a SC homer for the record.
          Germaine Marine
          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

phase 5 end of discussion

durable too. we had phase 5 skim fly outta' the boat on the highway at 60 and it only got a few nicks and scratches
            Last edited by MooseX; 06-10-2017, 09:52 PM.
            my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Agree elevated, once you get a top tier stick, Doom starts to lose its shine. Hence I sold to you LOL.

SC is top notch. Nick at Chaos is top notch. I am a Chaos homer, full disclosure. These are real shapers making real surfboards. I am sure a couple more exist. Other mainstream big brands share basic construction principles, but are mass produced, ladeled with paint, really shiny and pretty but heavier, and consequently perform at a lower level. They are nice, but not as nice as you can get.

Comment

Victoria does make a nice skim--they are an ocean skim board company at heart. My Victoria Cole Kerby board is fast fast fast. I am 225#. It's actually astounding.

No disrespect to @mooseX--I am sure Phase 5 is nice, but the top tier is a handmade skimmer from a USA shaper.

Durability might favor the Phase, but durability does not favor on-water performance.

Comment

^ fire
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I have a Doomswell Neo and love it for surf style...however, none of their line is a skim, even the Nubstep which they call a "hybrid", is surf style all the way, have no idea why they call it a hybrid.
                    Also, it does not fit in regular swivel rack, its a pretty fat board. I mounted a special rack under my tower to hold it. I got the 4' 8" and am 205....is should have gone with the 4' 6" cause its so buoyant. It is super freakin fast and I am on brakes a lot with that board. Again, I really like the board but if you want skim, Doomswell is not the brand you want.
                    I rode a Byerly Hazard last week that a buddy brought along. Straight loved that board...that board in my opinion is more of a hybrid...cause still have buoyancy and is fatter than skim style, but breaks away really easy and highly maneuverable. I am in fact looking for one to buy I liked it so much....I just cant find one in 4' 8". If anyone is selling...I am interested!

Comment

Walker project

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Doomswell makes a skim don't they?

Comment

My next board will be a Chaos. I already have a Soulcraft but I'm not in love with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                            My next board will be a Chaos. I already have a Soulcraft but I'm not in love with it.
                            Johnny - I would love to test out your Soulcraft this weekend if you don't mind. Was looking at them over the winter but ended up going Doomswell.

Comment

Chaos all the way!! Snag a board bag, slide it in the Bimini pocket then slide your board into the bag. Nick knows his boards and is very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                              X