Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My kids say they get a headache and feel bad after surfing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had the same issues and any solutions.

Maybe it the lake water getting in their ears or something?

The boat is a 2015 Z3 and they are only behind it for short periods of time so I hope its not fumes, I think its just being in the water?
    Last edited by Tomp; 06-08-2017, 05:57 PM.

Most likely this is due to CO. Get and FAE ASAP!

EDIT: I clearly jumped to conclusion with this comment. I don't believe the OP had their boat listed, but none the less, I was quick to assume. I did not know how severe swimmers ear can be until reading below. If you are reading through this post, disregard my comment and read on. I guess assuming just made an A$$ out of me!
    Last edited by Dandy; 06-09-2017, 02:02 PM.
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

You may want to have them explain headache more as you will know the difference between swimmers ear or exhaust poisoning.

I get swimmers ear bad and very easily when surfing so I normally wear a nose plug and an ear plug to eliminate this. I know instantly when I hit the water, and it will rush in my nose or ears if not wearing plugs, and it will send a sensation down the back of your neck and head will feel like it is going to explode! Exhaust will or should have different symptoms when the headache appears. Might want to be asking more questions to narrow it down as either way it is debilitating, reason I don't like to surf.

We have a 15 Z3 and have never had an issue with exhaust and we don't have a FAE.

Comment

I would get the Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) regardless just for piece of mind. They divert the exhaust beneath the water and it exits out well behind the rider.
        http://www.freshairexhaust.com

Looks like they already have the pattern for your model. $480
        http://www.freshairexhaust.com/your-...ge-selector-2/
        Last edited by TeamAllen; 06-08-2017, 07:03 PM.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Agree with JLG -- need a few more symptoms/better description to really know. Dehydration, overheating, exhaust, water in the ear/nose, motion sickness, too much/too little caffiene, and the list goes on -- lots of different things a headache can be a sign/symptom of. Probably most telling would be what makes it better -- getting out from behind the boat and breathing fresh air may point to the exhaust, just sitting in some shade and cooling down would point to heat, drinking some water would point toward the dehydration.

It's good that you're asking the questions though -- 99% of headaches are simple causes with simple solutions not worth complaining about. It's that 1% that you just tough through without a clue that I used to see working in the ER. Nothing to be paranoid about at all -- just nothing to simply ignore without asking a smart question or two.

And the FAE certainly can't hurt -- I'm trying to be patient until I can get one for our boat.

Comment

Do you guys recommend the flappers option or not on the FAE? I'm looking to get one of these as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty_Power View Post
              Do you guys recommend the flappers option or not on the FAE? I'm looking to get one of these as well.
              I would call and ask them. They are super helpful.
              I think the flappers were due to some warranty issue when you remove them? But, ask them they are the pros!

One thing I learned about in a Boy Scout Wilderness First Aid class was hydration tablets. Water is good, of course, but we need more electrolytes.
              We take them a lot when we are out on the water as well as the sports drinks. They benefit my Wife and Son the most. They used to get sick the first day at Lake Powell eery year, on the first day. Not anymore. My daughter and I aren't affected as much, but we still take them. We buy a big box of them.
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Last edited by TeamAllen; 06-08-2017, 07:51 PM.
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

If your boat is a '15 I assume it has the AVx, yes? My personal opinion is boats with Vx or AVx don't require FAE. I find that it does 90% of the job an FAE would do. The only time I find it bothersome is if you are idling a lot. FAE or Vx do nothing in that regard as the exhaust eventually bubbles up between the platform and the transom and you breathe it in. If you have the "Magic Button" then just make sure you are shutting down the engine whenever you aren't moving. That fixes it.

FAE is helpful, but so is $500 in your pocket. To date I've favoured the $500.

With that all being said, it might not be boat exhaust that's bothering your kids. In the heat, I would look at dehydration too... or sun exposure.

Comment

I've been running an FAE for 10yrs with no flappers. Never one issue.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Myself and several friends all had the same kind of symptoms from surfing. After I installed my FAE I don't feel that way afterwards. If you can smell exhaust when you're riding or even sitting on the back of the boat then you're breathing dangerous fumes. The FAE is the best $500 I've spent on my boat, hands down. I won't own another surf/wakeboat without one.
                    If you're dropping 75k+ on a boat it seems like a tiny expense in something that makes it safer for you and your kids plus it drastically reduces noise improving your stereos performance!
                    I probably sound like a company spokesman but they really do make an awesome product.
                    Last edited by Jetdriver; 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Any boat with a warranty still intact should get a flapper, its what Larry will say and its what Indmar will say as well.
                      Germaine Marine
                      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

^good point

Comment

There is a big difference between a 2007 22Ve and a 2015 Z3. It takes quite a lot of CO and for a good bit of time to cause nausea, unless maybe they lie down on there stomachs behind the boat on the board for more than a few minutes. First, an FAE is never going to hurt, so I am not suggesting you shouldn't do that. Watch this for some good info, we did this with a 2007 24Ve, and we definitely added an FAE and it made a difference.

Also, to make sure that is the problem, get a CO detector and check it.

http://wake9.com/

Comment

I have a 16 RZ2 and experienced some exhaust issues. As a result installed FAE with the flapper.

Two things.

First I gassed myself and the kids because we were spending time on the swim platform while the boat was at idle. Not hours just the time it takes to get them in and out of the water.

Two when surfing in calm water no wind you can smell exhaust.

After installation of FAE when moving regardless of wind there is zero exhaust smell when surfing. Add in no idle policy when anyone is on the swim deck and you will never have this issue again.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 14 dual exhaust z3 with vx. I have never once smelt any kind of exhaust. even when Idling... I do have cats on my boat thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X