X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
    Look what showed up today
    YAAAAAY!!
    Keep us posted lol. I am interested to hear what the damage is. Probably doesn't need a cover now huh?

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      Look what showed up today
      YAAAAAY!!
      Now you just need the NXT! I have a feeling that one is going to be under water for awhile.

Comment

We have Tige only few months and I am still learning how to handle it. Before that we owned jet skis and jet boats. One time i had to cross open waters of Georgian Bay wth more than 5 feet swels and wind. The bow cover definitely helps, because after going down the wave and hitting the bottom, the water was going over the bow and over the windshield. The boat was loaded with a lot of camping stuff and that actually helped it not to bounce much, but I had to give a full throttle to climb the wave. The goal was to keep the boat on a plane and not get a side hit. It was a scary experience, but I realized it only after. My wife and dog were scared, but I did not have time for that, was too busy surfing the waves. I thing I would never do similar trip with Tige, because I feel much less control compare to the jet-boat.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
          My very first Powell trip is in July. Excited, but nervous as well. We will be camping at bullfrog and imagine most of our time will be spent right there in the bay. I am going with another family that is very familiar with powell, so that will help, but I really want to be prepared. Do you recommend heading east or west out of bullfrog to find water that is normally safer?
          You can't go wrong going north east or south west out of bullfrog. There's a lot of awesome camping spots in Hanson creek just around the corner NE from bullfrog. Dont stay in the bay! Too exposed. The key is to just put a little distance between you and the crowds. The vast majority of people that come to bullfrog or halls xing stay close around the bay. Unless you're up real early it's gonna be tough getting that glass water that we all chase. About 20 miles or a little less than an hour boat ride south west is one of my favorite canyons, Escalante. Stop and check out the Rincon on your way. Lots of cool smaller canyons between bullfrog and escalante. A little further is the best glass on the lake up the San Juan arm. If you go down that far make sure you've got plenty of gas! There is a spot about halfway between bullfrog and wahweep called dangling rope marina(just pass the San Juan arm) where you can gas up and buy cold treats. To the north East of Bullfrog is forgotten canyon, which has some cool ancient Anasazi ruins to check out. Moqui canyon right outside bullfrog bay is cool as well.
          All the spots I mentioned and more included on this section of map. Basically an hour or so in either direction if you're cruising 30 or so. Have a blast man!

IMG_4619.jpg
          Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-14-2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock15 View Post
            Thanks for the replies guys. I agree about not canceling big trips. I should of mentioned I live in Vegas only four hours away and we go every three day weekend. Not houseboat rental or canceled reservations. We tent camp and have a blast. I have a pretty low tolerance for the wind risk when our trips are as often
            I hear that, Ive got a little more drive unfortunately. I honestly like tent camping there better, you can find the coolest spots!

Comment

Corky-
              Quick look over is a pretty expensive list. Pretty much all new running gear. Water in engine via intake while running. Possible bent con rods. Milkshake oil. Imagine the ecm didn't hold up, but this is a first for me. Water in trans. Quite a bit of gel coat work. Haven't even looked at anything electrical.

Comment

Jetdriver great summary thank you. In aug we will trek that far north and check those spots. Gassed up every day at dangling rope over memorial and was $150 a whack, about 25 gallons each time. Ouch!

Comment

After having a MC Pro, I'm very happy with my closed bow Tige!

Comment

So it's interesting that we have been talking about how to handle weather issues that pop up and then for the first time this past weekend I get in it.

We were on Willard Bay last Friday afternoon enjoying the lake with only 10-15 other boats. It was really nice out. Just a very little chop on the water, but mostly smooth. We lost track of time a bit. As it got later, the water just got smoother and smoother. My wife noticed the time and said we need to go. The water was almost glass at this point and the kids wanted one more tube ride. So I went for it. All was well. We put the tubes away and slowly worked our way back to the south marina. As we entered the short channel leading to the marina the wind picked up just a hair. Didn't think anything of it. We put the bumpers on the boat and pulled up along side the dock, just like normal. Standard procedure is that I jump out and go after the trailer while my wife just stands on the dock holding the boat. I guess it took less than 3 minutes to get back to the ramp. In that time I hadn't notice the wind pick up. My kids were at the top of the ramp screaming that mom couldn't hold the boat. But I didn't really understand. I got them in the truck and put the trailer in the water. As I did that, I really noticed the wind and waves crashing, INSIDE the marina. I ran down the dock and got to my wife. The wind had pulled the boat all the way down the dock. She was at the very end of it. Literally 5 more seconds and she would have either let go of the boat or hopefully she would have jumped in the boat and drove it away from the docks. She let go of the boat just as I jumped in. By the time I got to the helm and fired the engine I had already drifted about 10 from the dock, heading towards the other dock that had a boat right there. I was within a few feet from hitting it. All was well after I got it started and pulled away from that boat. I was able to get the boat on the trailer on the first try which to me was awesome as the wind was pushing HARD sideways. We got the boat out of the water just as all the rest of the boats were making their way into the marina. The wind picked up even more then and it got a bit crazy with all the boats in the small marina.
                    Once we got out of there to a place we could put the boat away I noticed the boat was not sitting right on the trailer. The wind had pushed it to the right and the chine was sitting on the bunk instead of just to the side of it. I had to put the boat back in the water. We drove back to the ramp and waited for a few minutes for a spot to open up. I let a few people behind me go first, to get their boats out of the water. There were lots of people in the water guiding boats onto trailers. There were lots of boats missing their trailers on approach and having to try again. We finally got our boat back in the water, right on the edge of the ramp next to some brush that was providing a wind block and calm water. We dipped the boat in and it straitened right up. As I pulled it out a truck came up next to me that was clearly having a hard time backing the trailer in. I got out and helped her get the trailer straight and helped them get the boat on. Then we got out of there.

So we learned a few things that evening that haven't been brought up yet. I imagine they are "no duh" items for most of you.

1. I have been skeptical about the wind just, "coming out of nowhere". This really does happen. It went from basically calm to 41 mph sustained and 51mph gusts in 2-3 minutes.
                    2. All last week I was glad that we use a VERY enclosed marina that I felt would shelter the weather. You can't really even see the lake from the marina. That does not matter. It was still pretty crazy in there. I can only imagine what it was like on the lake. (half of me wished we were still out there so I could have practiced the things we've been talking about, but sitting in the truck safe, my kids were still scared to death.)
                    3. Tie the boat to the dock! Even in calm water. It is foolish to expect someone to be able to hold the boat. We were within seconds of a very bad situation.
                    4. My wife understands now why I have been telling her that she either needs to learn to load the boat or learn to back the trailer into the water. I could have dropped her off and floated in the marina while she put the trailer in. All would have been fine.
                    5. Have a rope ready when loading. We watched many boats miss their trailers and have to circle around again, even with helpers in the water. If they would have tossed the helpers a rope they could have helped guide the boat onto the trailer.

Overall I feel this was a good learning experience for us. We got a small taste of what mother nature can do. I feel we will be better prepared next time, while crossing my fingers there will not be a next time.
                    Last edited by UNSTUCK; 06-13-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Good story. Sounds like things get wild quickly out there.

I do have a question with one small sentence: I would absolutely not want my wife to jump in the water to save the boat. Most likely you meant jumping to the boat? That would be OK, but the water, no way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

IMG_0346.jpg

My buddy snapped this pic at our local lake around here. I don't know the story behind it but I'm guessing wind played a major factor. Had some pretty hardcore wind around here lately.

Comment

Edited for clarity. But yes, you were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock15 View Post
                            Jetdriver great summary thank you. In aug we will trek that far north and check those spots. Gassed up every day at dangling rope over memorial and was $150 a whack, about 25 gallons each time. Ouch!
                            Yea, Dangling rope isn't shy about hitting you with that "convenience" tax! My crew likes to motor the houseboat from bullfrog to either the San Juan arm or Reflection canyon (just across the main channel from the San Juan) there's nothing cheap about bringing all those toys that far down the lake. Between gas and ice runs to Dangling rope throughout the week it adds up quick! We typically pack a boat load of 5 gallon gas cans that we fill at the top of the ramp for $1.50-2 cheaper per gallon. Last trip we had a 90 gallon toy tank and I'm guessing at least 20-25 5 gallons on the house boat. The whole back deck was covered in gas cans! (Smoke em if you got em boys!)
                            We still had to run to Dangling rope for more fuel. We were running three wakeboats and a couple stand up jet skis though. Oh well, gotta pay to play!

Comment

Unstuck-good point about having dock tiedowns ready for both tying off and having people use them to help guide your boat onto the trailer in crap weather.
                              Weather is a crazy beast and a strong front can go from calm to 40-50 mph winds in a matter of minutes with little to no visual warning. You can't always rely on clouds to be your indicator of impending bad wx.
                              Glad you guys were able to manage a safe exit and good on you for helping other people. Too often in our self serving society people just cruise by while watching others struggling in need of help. Tip of the hat to you sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X