Swim Step EVA Pad On A Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim Step EVA Pad On A Budget

I took on a large project of replacing my flooring and swim step in sheets of pre patterned EVA foam flooring. Since many people just need the step done I figured I would post this as a stand alone project. I got the pad off in one piece with some help from a neighbor who had a windshield removal tool. Having the pad in one piece saved a ton of time when making the wood template. It did however leave all of the glue behind. The deck glue was no fun to remove. Using paint thinner and a scraper I finally got it all off and had a smooth gel coat finish.
    IMG_7063.jpg
    IMG_7070.jpg
    IMG_7072.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7068.jpg
    Attached Files
    If it was easy, everybody would do it!
    www.WakeGarage.com

I used a router around the outside edges of the mats to give a finished look. I used 1/8" wood masonite hardwood to make a template of each piece. Cheap hardwood sheets are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the flooring material. I then used the template on top of the flooring as a guide to cut the sheets. Then I put the flooring on top of the template and used the wood as a guide for my router around the outsides. First off I'm using a Makita variable speed trim router on this project. I found the smoothest passes came with the speed just above 3. I ended up going with a 1/4" x 1/2" rounding cove bit. I played with a couple of scrap pieces to get the depth and tried both style pieces together to make sure that my plan was sound.

IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7129.jpg

I cannot say how my flooring will hold up over time, but I would be surprised if it doesn't do well. The supplier is http://www.marinedeckfactory.com.

They are in China. They were great to work with. Answered every question I had and the product was at my door 2 weeks after I ordered it via UPS. My friend also got his product in 2 weeks. They have many color options. Hope this helps some of you guys. They do have a 5 roll minimum which is approximately $350 shipped depending on where you live. Those 5 rolls will do your step and your interior of your boat. Click the link to see the interior project that went with this.

http://www.wakegarage.com/projects-a...-a-budget-r61/

My disclaimer is this, I have been installing stereos in boats and upgrading boats for years. I have a lot of tools at my disposal along with a lot of boat interior experience. The rolls don't put themselves in. However with some patience and a good plan going in, it isn't that difficult to do. I definitely think in increased the value of my boat at least 3-5 times what the project cost. I hope this helps some of you guys take the risk and go for it!
    www.WakeGarage.com

Comment

Followed this thread on Wakeworld. You did a great job and now has me holding off on my Gatorstep order.lol.

Comment

I could only keep up with a couple of sites while doing the project, but I figured I would throw it out there to a couple of other sites that I lurk at. It's great for any brand of boat. It's about the best sweat equity project you can do. The finished pics are coming. They are stuck with the moderator. The complete interior flooring is posted at Wake Garage and Wake World, but I prefer WG. Less drama. LOL

http://www.wakegarage.com/projects-a...-a-budget-r61/
        Last edited by Hyperryd; 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM.
        www.WakeGarage.com

Comment

Not sure what is going on with my second post that is waiting for moderator, but I will try to post the finished pics again.
          IMG_1921.jpg
          IMG_1916.jpg
          IMG_7122.jpg
          IMG_7126.jpg
          FullSizeRender.jpg
          Last edited by Hyperryd; 06-01-2017, 10:55 PM.
          www.WakeGarage.com

Comment

Where does one get this material?

Comment

Not sure why my second post never came up. It is still stuck with the moderator. It had the rest of the write up. Here is the write up that went with the final pics.

"I used a router around the outside edges of the mats to give a finished look. I used 1/8" wood masonite hardwood to make a template of each piece. Cheap hardwood sheets are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the flooring material. I then used the template on top of the flooring as a guide to cut the sheets. Then I put the flooring on top of the template and used the wood as a guide for my router around the outsides. First off I'm using a Makita variable speed trim router on this project. I found the smoothest passes came with the speed just above 3. I ended up going with a 1/4" x 1/2" rounding cove bit. I played with a couple of scrap pieces to get the depth and tried both style pieces together to make sure that my plan was sound.

I cannot say how my flooring will hold up over time, but I would be surprised if it doesn't do well. The supplier is http://www.marinedeckfactory.com.
              They are in China. They were great to work with. Answered every question I had and the product was at my door 2 weeks after I ordered it via UPS. My friend also got his product in 2 weeks. They have many color options. Hope this helps some of you guys. They do have a 5 roll minimum which is approximately $350 shipped depending on where you live. Those 5 rolls will do your step and your interior of your boat. Click the link to see the interior project that went with this

http://www.wakegarage.com/projects-a...1/#comment-131

My disclaimer is this, I have been installing stereos in boats and upgrading boats for years. I have a lot of tools at my disposal along with a lot of boat interior experience. The rolls don't put themselves in. However with some patience and a good plan going in, it isn't that difficult to do. I definitely think in increased the value of my boat at least 3-5 times what the project cost. I hope this helps some of you guys take the risk and go for it!"
              www.WakeGarage.com

Comment

Working...
              X