fuel filter canister leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel filter canister leak

Hey all! Hope everyone had a great Memorial weekend!
    I recently replaced my fuel filter on my 2007 22VE MP 340 engine. I ended up removing the whole canister from the boat as the filter change wasn't happening with the assembly in the boat. I read a couple threads about it and it was pretty straightforward but I had a helluva time getting the hoses on the bottom to budge so I elected to remove the bottom bolt and drop the plate. After getting everything reassembled and testing it, no fuel leaks , but unfortunately I'm leaking water from the bottom plate. Anyone had this issue? I thought with pressure on it the rubber disc would seal it back up but no dice. I was thinking I may need a bead of silicone around the edge of the rubber seal before I put the plate back on. Any tips are appreciated!
    I'll attach a pic of the spot its leaking from.

IMG_4567.jpg
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 05-31-2017, 07:51 PM.

No one has had this issue?

Comment

Yes and no.

When I did mine for the first time I accidentally rippped that rubber gasket off when I dropped the plate

I used basic silicone and re-secured it to the plate. Before I installed in I ran a good bead around the edge of gasket and plate and then seated it in the housing. Little on the threads of the bolt to.

Drank a beer and swore I would never take that POS off again. I am due for a fuel filter change and I am dreading it
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Thanks German, that will be my plan before I go out next. Here I was wondering why some people said remove the hoses and some said remove the bolt. Now I know why you should just remove the hoses. Too bad, removing the bolt was so much easier! After I removed the plate and looked at the way it went together I had a feeling it was gonna leak. I'll make more of an effort to get them off next time I do this job.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thegerman618;778007]Yes and no.

When I did mine for the first time I accidentally rippped that rubber gasket off when I dropped the plate

I used basic silicone and re-secured it to the plate. Before I installed in I ran a good bead around the edge of gasket and plate and then seated it in the housing. Little on the threads of the bolt to.

When you say basic silicone, like silicone from a caulk gun or silicone from a tube from a gasket maker?
          Thank you
          Last edited by Hammertime; 03-10-2019, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I used a tube of your typical household use clear silicone in a squeeze bottle. Probably laid about an 1/8” bead of silicone around the seal and fastened it all up. I haven’t had an issue for the last year since servicing it.

Comment

Working...
            X