Wet carpet in storage lockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet carpet in storage lockers

Is this normal to have wet carpet in the under seat storage lockers? We stored some towels under the passenger seat where the amps are and they were soaked ... we have not taken on any water and it's. '15 Z1? First weekend with the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope should not be water in the lockers. Chances are either it was there from rain-outside with the cover on(leaks around the tower legs) or your front ballast is leaking.

Comment

We got our boat new last year and the same thing happened. Being a new boat we were more into heading out than the little things. So when we noticed the carpet was getting wet, it was almost to late as we were out almost everyday. I started putting a fan in each the bag lockers between sessions to dry the carpet out. It turned out that the port side rear bag was leaking.

So we just got the boat back in the water this past weekend and this year i want to make sure that this was the reason for wet carpet. We went out Saturday and didn't fill any of the bags. Just went for a rip around and had a few beers. The carpet and bilge were bone dry. Next time I plan on doing some process of elimination to determine we are leak free.

I will keep you posted on what I find.
      Cheers

Comment

I take on water through the metal mesh vents at my bow on my rz2. When it is windy and chop or the driver hits a wave surfing my lockers are always wet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll bet you one of the O rings is jacked up. Each fitting has 2 O-rings and sometimes they get pulled out of the groove. Just remove the messed up o ring and reconnect. Order a new one at your convenience.

Comment

I've got a '13 Z1 and am noticing the same issues. Can you easily access the starboard sac lines from that locker(if that is my issue)? Any tips for doing this? Anyway to test it out without having to put it in the lake? I'm gonna open it up this weekend and have a look but my lockers are typically wet after a run.

Comment

There are black plastic dividers at the bow end of the locker. They remove easily with a couple Phillips head screws. You will have good access in the port locker. Starboard locker has a similar panel you can remove, but there is far less room due to the size.

Comment

I usually have wet carpet in the seat lockers due to water over the bow or wet surfers/swimmers. My issue has been mold on items in the lockers. I have begun leaving all of the seats in my Z1 propped open between uses. The past year, the inside of my mooring cover has begun to mold! The cover is black outside and a white almost cotton feel on the inside. When it rains, I typically have water trapped between the two layers.

The boat is in the sun and wind on a lift all summer, but I still have mold. The venting is fine and typically when we open up after a time, things are dry. Any ideas on howto avoid the mold issue, and any safe way to rid the mold without discoloring the locker carpet or the cover?

Comment

When outside with the cover on my Z3 definitely takes on rain water around the tower which keeps those carpet areas wet.

Comment

Yes the cover reduces rain but won't keep it out. Add filling boat with ballast that gets moisture in and the fact that we are in and out of the water and you do get a lot of moisture.

I always open mine up and try to get it dry.

Buy a wet vac from home depot I find it pulls most up and cuts dry time down big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another thing I will mention if no leaking ballast....if wet swimmers sit next to observers seat, the water coming off them will drip down between the cushions. I scratched my head for a while till I figured that out.
                      Tigeluv...Lowes n Home Depot sell an anti-microbial spray that is for carpets, etc. Double check cause I have not used it specifically for that, but believe its designed to not discolor and something besides bleach is used.
                      I always check my lockers and almost constantly keep a box fan on in my boat whether wet or not....but after a shop vac if pretty wet, I will blow air into all my lockers to be sure they dry out. This fall, I place to remove all carpet in my lockers and replace with Marine Deck (like Seadeck...just a cheaper brand that you can get from China that I have seen good reviews on. You just gotta buy a minimum amount).
                      http://www.marinedeckfactory.com/

Comment

Thanks, I will look into ripping out the the carpet as well. I will keep looking for a chemical for the cover. We thought of the fan idea as well.and will try to rig up a solar panel to run it and that should help.

Comment

You need to waterproof your cover at least every other year to keep it repelling water properly....I have done it every year.

I first use Armada "Mighty Brite' mildew stain remover to clean it....fill my bathtub with hot water and soak my cover in it for around 4hrs....agitating the cover every 15-20mins to get it nice and clean. Then I take cover outside, drape it over ladder and garbage cans and spray off both sides really well with hose

After drying in sun really well.....(I buy a gallon of 303 water repellant on Amazon)....I use a spray bottle from Lowes that I pour the liquid into as needed..and carefully go over the cover doing 2x2 sections at a time using a back n forth or "X" pattern. After spraying it, I backroll it with foam roller to make sure it soaks in well (this is KEY to it working well). Usually I will go back and do a 2nd coat too. (I also treat my bimini and bimini cover in same way...dries twice as fast if it gets wet or I am caught in rain).

Once done, the cover sheds water like a ducks back, and it looks brand new due to cleaning first! Course you can always get a little rain water in at the tower legs, but that should be minimal (but coming in at leg could easily then drip between cushions and get the area under observers seat wet). I have heard of some people wrapping the legs with painters tape to help keep water out if they know hard rain is coming...blue/green painters tape wont mess up paint if not on too long). I am lucky....got a building up a couple months ago, so my boat is no longer outside and wont have to do this quite as frequently anymore, but that was process I used and it worked quite well and did a great job.

Oh...I also installed a "Hangtyte" system on my cover instead of using the stock poles. Makes it so much easier to put on cover and it sheds water well. You can find them online for around $50.

LINK below to what I use to clean and waterproof the cover:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Great information. I never knew about treating a cover-never have. The design around the tower legs is poor and allows a lot of water and dirt into the boat on both sides below the legs. I think the new design over the lowered tower is awesome. If anyone has luck with finding a redesign for covering the Alpha Z throw it out. Thanks again.

Comment

I used a full boat cover designed for boats with T tops for a couple of years. Used my regular cover as usual then covered the entire thing, tower and all, with the other cover. Kept things bone dry and mold free in Louisiana.

Comment

Working...
                              X