2011 RZ4 vs 2014 RZR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 RZ4 vs 2014 RZR

So I am about to pull the trigger on a 2014 RZR (150 hrs), just need a water test. That said, there's a possibility to get a 2011 RZ4 (<300 hours) for the same or less cost. I realize they are in a very different boat class - 20 vs 24 ft, but as this is my first tow boat and this user group seems very active AND informed, I thought I would put it out there. Some details to paint the picture:

- mostly plan to surf with some wakeboarding thrown in
    - will usually have guests aboard and will regularly have 9 + 2 dogs
    - lake is large and deep - 10 mi long x 3 mi across x 200 ft deep but does not tend to get huge chop (1 ft or less on days when I expect to be out there)
    - boat will be stored in a covered lift, 5000lb capacity
    - for reference, NADA puts the avg price (CDN) for the RZ4 at $63k and the RZR at $62k

Some specific questions:
    1) Which would give a better wake? Have heard the RZ4 can be a bit steep
    2) Is the RZ4 simply too much boat for a beginner?
    3) Which would be expected to deliver better value long term?
    4) What other considerations should I throw in there?

Thanks for any and all help!

I don't have either of these boats but I sat in them and in a rz2 which is in the middle.

9 adults plus 2 dogs might be tight on an rzr all the time. 8 adults on the rz2 is a comfortable max.

Surf depends on the setup on each boat.... ballast. Also Do both these taps 2?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy bought an RZ4 and that would be suggested for the crowd. After everyone starts bringing their necessities that 20 ft won't need ballast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      71 Cut Supreme, 70 3 Door Suburban, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 12 F21 Surf Machine!
      http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/onetogofast/IMG_4360.jpg

Comment

If both are in my budget, you would have a very hard time getting me into a smaller boat. I say that from experience because for our 2nd boat, I did go from a 19.5 to a 18.5 and that one foot made noticeable difference in room. But, we went to a 10 year new boat, a boat that was 2 seasons old but only 14 hours and we stole it!

2) so this would be your first boat? If so, no. You will have the same learning curve with each. Towing is a consideration. the RZ4 is a big an heavy. Do you have an ample tow rig and already have some tow experience?
        3) bigger boats seem to.
        4) as mentioned, towing. Storage, any lake restrictions. What are you overall needs? 9 peeps + dogs, the RZ4 will be the better choice. We typically had 8 + on our 22Ve and it was about right for a day on the water doing things. Any more and it was too crowded getting in and out swapping riders.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Guys, thanks for the feedback! I did hear that the RZ4 surfwake may be a little steep, but no one using this is such an experienced surfer to where I think it would make a difference, but the extra room will be noticeable every time out.

You confirmed what I was already thinking which is that bigger is better in this case. Got a little more info on the RZ4, turns out it has fewer hours that the 2014 RZR. RZ4 does have a few more scratches, but nothing significant and it comes with a couple more bells and whistles, so that probably evens out.

I'll know if I get the RZ4 by the end of the week and will check back in if I do!

Comment

Must posts pics!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

The Rzr will be a great boat, especially for your first one. Tommy opinion it totally depends on your situation on which one is better. Probably the most important, which one shows the most wear, I've seen some high hour boats that look brand new and low hour ones that are trashed. If the Rz4 is clean I would probably go for it, you just might need a bigger lift and a lot more ballast. Where abouts are you in Canada?

Comment

I owned 2 RZRs and if I was going to be putting 9+ people and 2 dogs in the boat constantly the RZ4 is a no brainer. The RZR is a good family to 7-8 person boat. Its tight with 9 then throw in 2 dogs and your gonna wish you bought the RZ4.

Your 5000 lb lift is NOT going to do it for a RZ4. The boat is listed around that and weighs way more in lake form(that boat is 5500 minimum real world). The RZR requires a 5000 lb lift as it weighs between 4200-4300 lbs real world.

Comment

I went through a similar decision when I bought my RZ4. I haven't regretted it for 1 second. The amount of space is the rz4 is the first thing people always say. You can always do things to improve the wave. You can't create more space. Go big or go home!

As others have said, your 5000lbs lift is not going to cut it. The RZ4 is a beast!
                  BABz - babzusa.com
                  Austin, TX

Comment

I may be biased but I would buy the RZ4. I love the room and I have the surf wake figured out pretty well. I have the factory's 900 lb and 2 750lb bags from MLA. I can fill the boat, set Taps at 2 and speed at 11.2 for a long wave or make subtle adjustments all the way to Taps at 4 and speed at 10.8 for a short tall wave that my cousin can surf back and forth from reg to goofy.

Additionally, I have spent time back and forth between my RZ4 and my cousin's X-Star, I will tell you first hand that the 2ft difference in those boats is HUGE. Driver + 7 adults in the back of the RZ4 is no problem, you are not putting that in the X-Star, somebody is in the bow.

Comment

Thanks for your input!

Hi all,

I thought I would close the loop on this. First off, thanks for all the input. I ended up buying the 2014 Tige RZR @ $65k Canadian (just under $50k USD). The RZ4 was an auction and ended up being a little rich for my blood - $15k more. I got it off the marina on our home lake and as a first boat, it was something I could afford and that my wife would not be too intimidated driving so all pluses there. I may indeed get 2-foot-itis rather soon but it's much easier psychologically to upgrade $10k-$15k than to drop $70k+ on my first boat... plus I hear divorce is super expensive. Here she is in her natural state 20 minutes after taking delivery.

Now I need to start trolling the forums for wakesurf tips.

IMG_1790.jpg

Comment

Some Tigé Pros surf the RZR as their own boat. You won't be disappointed. Congrats!

Comment

Awesome! With that boat you're probably going to want to upgrade the rear ballast to the fly high w004/5 and run a ton of bow weight in order to create a king wave. I have found on mine that the suck gates really don't work that well with the curvature of the hull, so I just went along with my listed wave and it was great. Now I'm in the process of dialling in my taps 3.

Comment

Working...
                          X