Misc items for new boat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misc items for new boat??

Hi all! I'm picking up our first ever wake boat this Friday....a '16 Z3!! We are very excited!

I have limited experience in a bass boat and pontoon, but nothing this new, this nice, or this type of boat. I was curious if someone has a good list of necessary items (bumpers, dock lines, anchor and line, throwable, etc) and recommended brands or types (particularly the bumpers).

Also what other other misc. items would be good to get: first aid kit, flashlight, soft side cooler, storage boxes, etc.

TIA

Originally posted by Tigerbass View Post
    Hi all! I'm picking up our first ever wake boat this Friday....a '16 Z3!! We are very excited!

I have limited experience in a bass boat and pontoon, but nothing this new, this nice, or this type of boat. I was curious if someone has a good list of necessary items (bumpers, dock lines, anchor and line, throwable, etc) and recommended brands or types (particularly the bumpers).

Also what other other misc. items would be good to get: first aid kit, flashlight, soft side cooler, storage boxes, etc.

TIA
    I like having a stretchable rope for the anchor. Alot of times we're in a cove with numerous other wake boats that are throwing massive waves the stretch absorbs the waves and allows your anchor to stay put.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a '16 Z3 and love it!
      Acme weekend saver kit and a spare propeller. I have the 440 engine that came with a 381 prop. I hear 2315 is good if you are going to be surfing but a 2419 is a really aggressive prop geared towards surfing. I'd do my homework before choosing a spare prop.
      I'm still researching myself.
      I've also heard a box anchor is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

You pretty much made a good list in your original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Everyone needs and wants different things but here are some of my suggestions ontop of the basic. First aid kit, basic tools (although nobody knows what to do with them), phone charger. lots and lots of ropes, I prefer a softer style, the stiff ones are hard on the cleats. Along with ropes come bumpers, you can never have too many, you're going to want a softer style that doesn't scuff. Some use exile fender balls, I prefer slalom ski bouys because of our low profile dock.
          A spare key somewhere in the boat and truck, not having a key is the worst thing that could ever happen. Some may say you need a spare prop but it really depends on what kind of water you boat in, for example we never see water less than 20ft deep so don't really have the worry of hitting anything. I also like to keep some seat cleaners and microfiber clothes in the boat as well. After a few weekends you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Congrats on the new boat, what are you coming from? Got any pictures?

Comment

Be ready for the learning curve of driving a v-drive if you haven't had experience before. We started with beat up 22v to learn in prior to getting our Z3, and I'm still learning new lessons -- short answer is you're driving a barge that doesn't like to stop or back up.

I use these fenders with a suction cup hangar, they've worked well so far and are easy to stow away.

I would also recommend a collapsible boat hook if you'll be near a dock, they are handy for coming into the dock (shutting it down sooner and pulling yourself in) and pushing away.

I always carry one heavy-duty rope (50', 5/8", tubing rope might work?) -- I had the tow of shame once in my early days of boating, and want to be prepared to help out others if needed.

Other than that you're on track with your thoughts and all the advice here. I think about it this way -- I don't want a mess on board, however, what's going to ruin my day? I bought a small waterproof toolbox, and I keep next year's impeller in it, along with spare fuses, vinyl patch kit, spare drain plug, spare blue plugs, spare prop nut/key/cotter, a couple hose clamps, electrical tape.

Ours came with the 2419 -- zero top end, but who cares, I can pull up a 300lb guy surfing with full ballast plus a boat-load of adults and it doesn't even hesitate. I do need to find a spare soon though, just to ward off the gremlins.

Comment

If you aren't storing it in the water, a couple of old towels you don't care about to wipe down boat exterior and trailer when you pull out. Will save you lots of time taking off water spots at home. I always like to have a spare bilge plug in the truck as well just in case it disappears out of the boat. AUX cord is a must for me...need my tunes.
              http://m.ebay.com/itm/034-BACK-UP-BU...-/120941559235
              I always keep one of those guys in the truck. It can save you a ton of hassle if your surge brakes act up. Just remember to pull it out after you trailer your boat.
              A trashbag to keep your lake a boat clean.
              And of course the always obvious, yet forgotten, sunscreen ��

Just for fun, as a tech I see any number of things that shouldn't be in your boat when you bring it in for service. Some of my favorites would be folding chairs in rear lockers, small BBQs, an aluminum baseball bat, a four lb sledge hammer, fishing poles in your 23' wake boat, old subway sandwiches that have been forgotten about and are now a biohazard, dirty diapers, entire rolls of paper towels(typically just get wet anyways and are ruined). Just a few of my favorites, and a bit of a venting.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                I see any number of things that shouldn't be in your boat when you bring it in for service... fishing poles in your 23' wake boat
                AGREE 100%! See thegerman618, it's not just me!

Comment

Anchor
                  vacuum
                  Ball buoy to tie off the front when anchored
                  Slide anchor for shore
                  3 bumpers
                  5-6 dock lines and 1 100 footer for the rear when anchored on a beach
                  Boat bling with a package of micro fibers
                  Radio
                  Boat US membership
                  Enough Orangies to keep you coast guard compliant
                  Extra surf ropes/ski ropes and flags
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I always like to bring

Cheetos
                    Red Gatorade
                    Pull pork sandwiches
                    Spray on sunscreen
                    Shoes (preferably with a little mud/dirt on them)
                    Jeans with sparkly things on the butt
                    Earthworms in a worm container
                    A big ol watermelon

Really though....

--Built in cooler works great for daytrips.
                    --Box anchor, anchor buddy and sand spike are the bomb
                    --Boat sandals/water shoes. Never know when your gonna hike. Not worn in the boat
                    --Several REI travel sacks sleeping bags. Pack down small and great for cold kids. Surplus bivy sacks are great as well
                    --Knife and goggles
                    --Spare prop, prop puller, key and prop bolt
                    --Extra plug
                    --Lines to tie off
                    --Toolkit: usual sockets, electrical stuff, hose stuff, sealant, loc-tite,
                    --socket/breaker bar that actually fits into your wheel to remove the lug nut from the trailer
                    --Extra key..but really, how hard would it be to hotwire a Z3? Probably pretty easy to figure out.

Comment

Don't forget lots of hairpins. Sprinkle them under the seats where they'll be forgotten and get all nice and rusty, leaving permanent rust marks on the seat fabric, gelcoat, carpet....

I think the list of what NOT to allow is much longer than the list of what SHOULD be on board.

Comment

I definitely agree with Bakes on a couple of things that most people think I'm crazy for having but HAVE USED THEM. Goggles and snorkle and good sharp knife. Had a guy wrap a wakeboard rope on the drive shaft and couldn't unwrap so rather than towing an hour back to the trailer I grabbed my gear and cut the rope off and got them on their way. But there are always going to be different things for different folks

Comment

Safety compliance items for Police or Coast Guard: (dont know what state you live in)
                          **Enough life jackets for everyone on board (under 13yrs old must have one on at all times)
                          **Fire extinquisher
                          **Horn or whistle (your boat will have a horn)...I keep a cheap whistle in case of dead batteries
                          **You are supposed to have safety lanyard attached to you when driving (if you are pulled over)
                          IF you are on ocean...you MUST have flares on board. On lake, you dont have to have flares (but are supposed to have "daytime/night time distress signals")

YOU WANT TO HAVE:
                          Box anchor (best ever made and your wasting time with anything else)..."small" size is good enough for a Z3. $140 on Amazon but worth its weight in gold and wont get stuck on the bottom (I lost another anchor cause it got stuck under something and finally had to cut it...it rarely held right anyway.
                          Flashlight
                          Misc tools
                          4 Large fenders (use 3 and have a spare) and rope
                          Knife (I keep a good multi-tool that has a good blade on it)
                          Extra boat plug.....extra boat key
                          Spare paddle

Like mentioned, an inboard will handle VERY different that any other boat you have driven at slower speeds cause it requires the prop wash against the rudder to turn. Normal rotation will always back up and "pull" to the right, so you will want to always dock on left side of dock if pulling straight in, or opposite side if backing into dock...same thing for launching boat (so your fenders hang off drivers side). Trust me on this the first few times, even if you have to wait for a spot to open. When docking or leaving dock, do it in slow movements, ie: reverse for 3 seconds....then forward 3 seconds to straighten boat out....then do it again. Its the only way to keep the boat in a straight line...you will see what I mean. You may need to do this reverse/forward thing 3-5 times when docking. If you are patient, you will ease your boat in without everyone making a mad dash to save the boat from slamming into the dock cause otherwise, that "pull" in reverse due to prop rotation, will turn your boat into a circle even if the rudder is straight. Even idling forward does not always go straight especially if windy and normal "idle speed" is about 3-4mph which can be fast in a boat that large. Big boat like that catches wind and it will push you off course very easily. PRACTICE is the best thing you can do. Once you get it, you will be fine. Just dont let it catch you off guard cause its a totally different experience than an I/O or stern drive motor which is what all pontoons and bass boats have.
                          You will love it tho. I came from an I/O and have no interest in every going back, so much more fun and so many more things to enjoy!

Comment

Besides all the required safety items:

- Something to throw trash into
                            - Storage boxes/bags (my wife used to sell 31 bags and we have like 10 of the open top bags throughout the boat storage comparments and it makes organization so much better)
                            - ACME Weekend saver kit
                            - Box Anchor
                            - First aid kit
                            - Backup sun tan lotion (non-spray)
                            - Bottle of Marine Stabil (if you want to use it)
                            - Bottle of Boat Candy Speed Gloss or equivalent + rags
                            - I keep a sponge in the boat and if we are parked in the water for a while I swim around and wipe the hull off
                            - Paper towels for spills

Trying to think if i bring anything else but can't off the top of my head...congrats on the purchase and enjoy! Where do you typically boat at?

Comment

Thank you all for the great info (I got a good laugh at the what not to bring items). Bananas are okay.....right???

Launching, trailering, and docking are probably what I'm most concerned with, but I know I'll get the hang of it. I have no intention on getting out on the water this weekend. I'll be boating on Lake Lanier in Atlanta and it is crazy enough on a regular weekend, and downright stupid on Memorial Day or July 4th. I'll spend the weekend tinkering with it and getting supplies. I may go out at some point on Friday just to take it for a test ride.

Hope to have pictures up soon. And I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the coming months.....and years!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X