Cover Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover Leaking

Have any of you had trouble with your tige covers letting water through? We had some pretty major storms come through this weekend. When I took the cover off today the boat was soaked. This coming August will mark 2 years I've had the boat. I've heard of covers need to be rewaterproofed. But I didn't expect to have to do it this soon. Is this common?
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

Yes, its common and you will have to do it every other year at least if you leave boat outside and use cover often. In heavy rain...you are gonna get some water in boat no matter what cause it comes in at tower legs and once soaked...no matter how water proofed, a little is gonna get thru. Especially where it touches the boat at sundeck. Its like a tent, where ever it touches the fabric, you WILL get some water intrusion.
    My boat is a 2014 and was leaking pretty bad with all the rain I was getting in March of this year parked in driveway. First I filled tub with hot water and used "Mighty Brite"mildew remover in there and soaked the cover for around 4hrs...came out WAY cleaner. Every 20-30mins, I agitated the cover to get best results while soaking. When done, I took it outside and sprayed it off really well with hose on both sides. Then I hung the cover out over a couple trash containers and step ladders to get it good and dry.
    I also bought a gallon of the 303 Fabric Guard (both from Amazon...links below). Believe me, you will NEED a full gallon to do it right..my boat is almost 25ft long and I used the entire gallon doing the cover and the bimini. I bought a separate 16oz empty spray bottle from Home Depot (get a good one)....I laid out the cover over a trailer (somewhere were you dont have much wind) and very carefully sprayed every inch of the exterior using an "X" pattern or side to side or up and down....after doing it once thoroughly, I went back and did it a 2nd time (trust me, you will want to do it twice).
    When finished, dried and then re-installed on my boat, water instantly beads up and rolls right off the cover and it reduced 90% of the water in boat.
    It will cost you close to $100 and several hours of time, but a huge difference and cover looked brand new again when I was done.
    MIGHTY BRITE LINK:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    303 FABRIC GUARD LINK:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

303 fabric gaurd works great. One thing I've noticed is that if you keep your Bimini up the tower leg area stays a lot dryer.

Comment

If you keep it outside, double cover it. I used a huge cover designed to go over a t-top and ran it over the tower and swimstep. It made a huge difference. Also keeps the sides, transom and swim platform from fading.

Best solution is store indoors or at least under a roof.

Comment

Great info on here guys. I have a carport that covers roughly 75% of the boat. The boat has been under it and covered up until recently. I guess I didn't realize the water proofing ran out so fast. I will def be using the 303.

I've also heard of some taking their cover to a commercial laundry and washing with some kind of 303 type stuff. Might be easier than trying to do it by hand.
          BABz - babzusa.com
          Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
          X