Raptor fuel octane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor fuel octane

Curious what octane everyone runs in the Raptor 400 motor. They recommend mid grade 89. I've always had concerns that the mid grade sits at the gas stations for a long time because not many people buy it. Majority of people buy 87, with some buying the premium 91-93. Don't know if the 89 begins to break down at the gas station, or how long by that would take.

Is 89 necessary? Dealer mentioned possible better fuel economy. Would it hurt anything to run 87? Thanks.

Mine is a 5.7 PCM but recommends 88 or 89 can't remember but is gets 87 and it's ok. Never had a light flashing for ecm codes or pinging from the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    71 Cut Supreme, 70 3 Door Suburban, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 12 F21 Surf Machine!
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/onetogofast/IMG_4360.jpg

Comment

You need to run the manufacturer's recommended oct or higher. This has to do with the engine compression ratio or induction type, and its ability to resits pre-ignition. Compression ratio and forced induction increases cylinder temp. Lower oct ignites at a lower temp then higher oct. If you take pre-ignition and retarded timing out of the equation, there is no performance or mileage differences at all the grades have about the same BTU.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

As usual Mike knocked it out of the park. That being said I know lots of customers that have run 87 in the 400 regardless of ours and manufacturer recommendations.
        They haven't had problems, yet. I wouldn't be rolling the dice for the price of these units, and IF you were to experience a failure for other reasons and Indmar finds 87 in your fuel rail and injectors they will most likely deny your warranty claim. Doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          As usual Mike knocked it out of the park. That being said I know lots of customers that have run 87 in the 400 regardless of ours and manufacturer recommendations.
          They haven't had problems, yet. I wouldn't be rolling the dice for the price of these units, and IF you were to experience a failure for other reasons and Indmar finds 87 in your fuel rail and injectors they will most likely deny your warranty claim. Doesn't seem worth it.

I meant to ask about possible warranty issues. Definitely doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            You need to run the manufacturer's recommended oct or higher. This has to do with the engine compression ratio or induction type, and its ability to resits pre-ignition. Compression ratio and forced induction increases cylinder temp. Lower oct ignites at a lower temp then higher oct. If you take pre-ignition and retarded timing out of the equation, there is no performance or mileage differences at all the grades have about the same BTU.
            Thanks. That was very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerbass View Post
              Curious what octane everyone runs in the Raptor 400 motor. They recommend mid grade 89. I've always had concerns that the mid grade sits at the gas stations for a long time because not many people buy it. Majority of people buy 87, with some buying the premium 91-93. Don't know if the 89 begins to break down at the gas station, or how long by that would take.

Is 89 necessary? Dealer mentioned possible better fuel economy. Would it hurt anything to run 87? Thanks.
              Don't worry about midgrade being older, gas stations only have premium and regular fuels in their underground tanks. The two fuels are blended to produce midgrade at the pump. (This may not be true at an older station with old dispensers and tanks. If the dispenser only has 1 hose for all grades, it is being blended, and if there is a separate dispenser for midgrade they probably have a separate tank for midgrade but that is a rare occurrence).
              Last edited by JCP; 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

i thoght the raptors were 91+?

Comment

450 and up require premium

Comment

I have the 440 in my RZX2 and as always I run the highest grade you can get I've always done it with all my boats and have never had issues
                    surf till u die.

Comment

I think mike freewheel and JCP told everything.
                      I would run with recommended octane. Raptor 360, 400, 440 is 89+
                      460, 575 is 93+ 91 acceptable with some performance loss.

if you put 87 you maybe won't have any problems instead some minimal performance loss, but if you have one couple years later pretty sure the warranty will be void because you had not follow the recommendation.. personally for saving few cents it's a gamble I won't take.

And JCP told exactly what I would say. Most of 89 is a mix between 87 and 91. no tank for mid grade

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                        450 and up require premium
                        Ha I'll go back and double check...it's been since last fall that I filled it but I thought I remember only putting premium in it...

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                          Don't worry about midgrade being older, gas stations only have premium and regular fuels in their underground tanks. The two fuels are blended to produce midgrade at the pump. (This may not be true at an older station with old dispensers and tanks. If the dispenser only has 1 hose for all grades, it is being blended, and if there is a separate dispenser for midgrade they probably have a separate tank for midgrade but that is a rare occurrence).

That makes sense that the mid grade is just a blend of the low and premium, not a separate tank. Makes me feel better.

Comment

I always fill with 91 in my 400- non ethanol if possible, but not every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X