Suck Gate Mount Location - Low Enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suck Gate Mount Location - Low Enough?

I've been ready to pull the trigger on the NautiCurl for some time now, but I'm questioning whether this suck gate (or any other for that matter) will actually work with my mount location on my 2010 Z1. The pictures below show how the boat sits in the water (waterline just at the swim platform) and I marked up the other picture to show the waterline (in red) and how the suck gate would sit on the boat (in blue). There is not enough room on the hull to go below this location so this is how high the suck gate would sit. Thoughts on this? Anyone with an older model Z1 or similar hull shape able to get a suck gate to mount with successful results? Thanks for the input.

20170518_090807(mark-up).jpg

P1020495.jpg

You're going to want to add a lot more ballast so it will be a lot lower in the water. The problem I have had on my homemade one was getting a flat surface for it to stick. I know the mission has a money back garuntee, not sure about the one you're looking at.

Comment

100% agree, our water line is calf to knee deep when standing on the swim platform. I'm sure you know, but in your picture the boat is shown listed, once you get any suck gate your filling all your bags to close to capacity, 100% surf and either 80-100% non-surf. Doing this will help with lowering your water line but if you don't have extra sacks in both rears, that should be your 1st purchase to get the best wave. I've heard of some guys using lead plates vs bigger bags so maybe wait to hear back from others on that but get the rear of that boat deeper and even and you'll be good to go where you've placed it. Although someone with a Z1 can comment as I have a RZ2 so I'm sure the measurements of that area may be different. The Mission Delta has no issues sticking to the Tige gel coat.

Comment

FYI Nauticurl has a 60 day money back deal, so that makes it a no brainer! Try it!

And what they said ^^^^ MORE WEIGHT.
        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have no ballast other than people. The boat is completely empty in the picture in the water (looks listed maybe from a passing wave). I have been looking at getting at least 400lbs of lead ballast to start. I'm just not ready for the hassle of filling water ballast yet and we are so limited on space as it is that's why I like the idea of lead bags. I'll leave the bags in all summer since I only go up and down a ramp for travel on a trailer. I may need to get more eventually but it's a start. I know the boat will sit lower than as pictured with people and the lead bags, but since the suck gate is opposite the surf side I will have to evenly weight both sides.

Comment

I just ended up making my own on my '08 Z1 cause of the exact reason your asking. The one shown in this pic was really only made to test it out but we ended up using this one for two years, have one on the other side too. It did wonders on my boat and we never surfed without it. It's tough to tell but it was around a 20 degree angle.

IMG_20160807_1649123.jpg

Comment

Frosty do you have any other pictures of how it connects underneath and how its assembled? Looks pretty straight forward. I'm guessing you never tried an off-the-shelf wake-shaper. What did you end up running for ballast and did you plumb them in yourself?

Comment

I have an '08 Z1 and place my homemade suckgate in the same place you have marked. Run about 800lbs of ballast in the rear and optional ballast in the front based on which side were surfing and it produces a wave you can surf all day on. Good times!image1.jpg

Comment

Alright, well I've got the NautiCurl on its way and also 400 lbs of Leadwake bags coming. I've got some 45 lbs plates from an old weight set that I'll throw in as well. I know I'm resisting the sacs right now. Any recommendations for rear and bow sacs for a Z1 (and pumps)? I'd like to not go crazy with weight either, with the storms we get in the summers its nice to have the boat sitting up so high. Weather can turn on a dime and next thing you know the wife is trying to get on the trailer in 3' white caps!

Comment

Put some nice 400-650s in the rear lockers, get or make a throw over side pump and save the lead for the bow. DO IT UP RIGHT SON!

The truth to surfing is you HAVE to sink the hull. That's where the wave comes from. The shapers are just that--shapers. No way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

^x2. This is a pic from the 2010 Z1 I had. Hard tank + 1,100 in locker and front ballast full. I had a scustom plate that I built similar to the VX but you get the idea what happens with some weight.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Alright thanks to all your help I think I've talked myself into getting fat sacs for the rear lockers and holding off on the lead bags for now. I think this combo seems to be the right setup for me since it appears to come with everything that I need but I'm a little concerned about the dimensions. My rear lockers are 22" wide 18" tall and 31" long (narrowest dimensions in each direction). Is there a better setup than this for me?....

https://www.wakemakers.com/fatsac-40...ump-combo.html

Also, with regards to the lead bags up front I'm a little concerned with having the extra weight in the bow when the sacs are empty. Seems like it could be a hazard to have the nose low while pulling tubes, skiers, trailering, etc. since that weight will always be there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmitchell View Post
                          Frosty do you have any other pictures of how it connects underneath and how its assembled? Looks pretty straight forward. I'm guessing you never tried an off-the-shelf wake-shaper. What did you end up running for ballast and did you plumb them in yourself?
                          IMG-20170330-WA0012.jpg
                          Didn't plumb myself. I had a 700# sac in each rear locker and a 900# sac in the walkway floor up front. Put on a 1235 prop and put on a homemade surf flap (must on this model and year and you can see it in my pic I posted a few posts up) and along with that surf gate I made, the wake was awesome! Took many trips and trials to dial it in but that setups worked the best for us. Taps around 4. If you got a big crew, make sure to have half sit up front, that boat likes weight up front to lengthen for push. Good luck dialing it in, that's half the fun!
                          Last edited by Frosty_Power; 05-23-2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Have you tried a listed wave on your 2010 Z1? Thats a pretty easy boat to setup listed. With 800+ lbs aft and a surf gate, that boats attitude is going to be pretty bow high. No much "evenly weighted" about that. In my experience with that hull, it likes a lot of bow weight for a listed surf wave, but can say when using a surf apparatus. On a listed boat, 400 in the locker is not enough, but with a surf apparatus, 800 might be. As to the package linked above, I bet if you ask around, you could find it cheaper. I say this, because per Fly High's site, MSRP on those is $350, not $399.

http://www.fatsac.com/product-detail...d=ballast-pump

http://www.fatsac.com/product-detail...allast-v-drive
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike, I have not tried listing the boat with any weight other than people. I'm goofy foot so I usually cram everyone on drivers side (3-4 people) with no one in the bow. It's a decent wave but it's only ~500 lbs of people weight, so the wave is not super long or steep (again no real ballast).

I know the fatsac deal seems like a good one for two bags and pump for $350 but I feel that the lockers will short me the extra weight because the length of the bags won't be fully extended in the 31" long locker (42" long bag; 16" wide x 16" tall). If it only fills to 31" then the bags will be at 286 lbs vs. 388 lbs if it were full. That's a 100 lbs loss! So, I found some other sizes that may work better for my 31" long x 22" wide x 18" tall lockers...

Expensive at $189 per bag (and no fittings or pump included)...
                              https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...-rear-sac.html

Or these "universal" bags from Wakemakers (either the 30"x20"x20" or the 30"x25"x15"; $149 per bag no fittings)...
                              https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...llast-bag.html

Anyone have experience good/bad with either of these bags or recommend something entirely different? I'm all ears.

Comment

Working...
                              X