Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 z1

Hi All,

I'm upgrading my 2014 z1 for a 2017. Features have obviously greatly improved! The 2017 comes with most options I want but there are a few add ons that I would like some advice from anyone if they're worth it!

This is what I'm debating: Extra set of rev 10's, the clamp 4rce racks, underwater transom lights, transom audio, surf link remote, and z cline captain chair.

These boats aren't cheap and need to draw the line somewhere! On the other hand if I'm building it from scratch might as well do it right.

Again, I would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan, I think most of these are going to be personal taste. However my opinion is the transom audio is very convenient. I have had this option on all of my boats. The single set of rev 10's with a good amplifier is plenty for me. I have transom lights on mine and they are nice but I probably only use them half a dozen times a year. Never had the Z-cline chair so I can't speak to that as well as the racks. I have Samson racks on mine and they have been solid. Good luck with the build.

Comment

Those are all pretty personal things things and not really resale options. Extra Revs only if you CRANK your stereo a lot, other wise you will not need them.

The clamp racks are nice if you use your racks a lot, but very expensive.

Underwater lights if you boat at night a lot, if not they won't get used. Night surfing is illegal.

I've had boat with and without the audio remote. Never really used the ones I had and never missed it

Can't comment on the surf remote.

The Z Cline is super comfortable but again a pretty steeply priced option.

Something to strongly consider. Tige's 2017 production run ends somewhere around the third week of June. They then shut down and will reopen after the 4th of July and thats when 2018's start. Unless you get your order in quick your not going to get a 2017. At this point I think I'd opt for an 2018.

Comment

All personal preferences, but here is my take:

The surf link/remote is different for you, but I will tell you I am the only one on my boat who uses the surf remote. The rest of the time I drive and I adjust the wave from the helm seat.
        I've had both captains seats. The stock is fine, but the Zcline is more comfy.
        Clamp 4rce - Clamping racks and soft surfboards are not a good combo. They are great for wakeboards and hard/solid surfboards like a Phase5, but a softboard like a Soulcraft could be damaged by use. They are neat, but pricy and we don't use them as much as the surf pockets in the bimini (which also can have the drawback of heat).
        I lust after 2 sets of Rev-10's but my crew is blasted out with only one pair.
        The underwater lights I don't use much at all, but we are not out after dark much. Plus I have AVX which blocks the light when up.
        The transom remote is a must for me. We raft up at different gatherings and I'd be miserable without it.

Good luck!

Comment

Having just gone through this, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Rev10s -- Like boardman said, if you really crank it, go for it. We went with a single set, and it's more than enough for us.

Underwater lights -- we passed, we don't boat much at night, however, it will be pre-wired, so I can always add them later (and cheaper)

Transom audio -- we got it and like it, when floating around with everyone at the back it makes life a little easier, plus, a rider can tee up a song just before getting in the water

Surf link remote -- pretty cool feature, you can dial in the wave for the amount of push you want while riding, and we're having fun learning to cross over

Z-cline -- my favorite feature since that's where I'm at most of the time, its a pretty darn comfortable place to boat from. Expensive option, sure, and my butt and back are already thanking me for it

Clamp force -- we actually passed on these on the advice of our dealer. If you're changing boards really often, maybe? However, we have the pockets on the bimini for our two most common boards, and, the clamp force racks put pressure in a small spot on the board, which may not be a good thing depending on how your board is made.

No Samson clamps yet for the E2 tower, though I've heard they are on the way. We're waiting for a clamp that can hold a kneeboard and then we'll probably upgrade one side.

Other options:

Surf bimini is nice -- add a little wax to the slides and it's an easy one person setup in about 30 seconds, plus two very convenient board straps.

Swim deck cover -- the armor cover is great, it just doesn't cover the swim deck, so if you store outside, why not protect everything

We went for the second heater and the heated seats -- having 5 vents (plus driver vent) easily lets us go out within the 50/50 rule, I would probably even push 45/45 if I really had a jones to go out. We're thinking about moving to Texas within the next year, so we should be able to surf year round.

Other LED lighting -- skipped on this as well, it isn't hard to do yourself for less cost. The Wetsound speakers already have an integrated LED dome and pigtail, which will make it even easier.

Paint is your call, metal flake is pretty nice, just not the most functional option.

We also went with the 18" rims on the trailer. Less bounce and definitely tracks better with the wider tires, making it well within doable for my 1/2 ton. Z1 probably not as heavy overall though, so may not be as big a factor. Almost forgot -- get the extra transom step on the trailer if you can. We passed on it to save some money, and they threw it on for free anyway, and I am very grateful, makes getting up on the deck waaaay easier
          Last edited by hcooperrn; 05-18-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

All personal preference for sure, but I've got 2 pennies I'll throw in...
            Z-cline seat is now a must have for me in every boat, stock seat isn't bad, but 8 hours in Powell a day on the Z-cline has sold me on it!
            Wouldn't do clamping board racks, expensive and will eat a surf board.
            Rear transom remote... I have one, had it on my last boat, however, I have a WS420 that does all my volume adjustments and I haven't used the transom remote once.
            Underwater light is cool, we hang out and listen to tunes at night when moored and it's cool to see underwater. At dusk it throws some cool effects into the wave. Can be had cheaper aftermarket though and will be pre wired.
            I didn't order anything but base audio from Tige, instead I had my dealer install the components I wanted and saved some money even after getting better equipment. I'm running 4 Rev 10's on an SD2 amp and 6 Inboats as well as a 12" JL sub off of an SD6 amp. WS420 so I can adjust all individually and it is LOUD, but very clean.
            We've played with the surflink remote, but not a lot of riders that can switch cleanly. For the most part it just sits in the glove box.. However it was included with the taps3 system when I ordered our 16 Z3, I wasn't aware that it was now ordered separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since everyone is adding Ill throw in my .02.

1. Z-cline is amazing, everyone who drives my boat comments on that the most and are interested in the upgrade until they hear the cost.

2. I wanted 4 10s until I got in a boat with them and I didnt like the feel, all personal, I went 8s instead. hindsight I stick with my gut on the redo and go 10s

3. Stock underwater lights are not bright.... I took switched them and you mostly likely will change them if you truly want to night surf as well, so I say no on those and buy a set of seablaze's/life forms and add them later.

4. I dont use my transom remote a ton, but it gets used. I take my phone toward the swim deck and then realize, why take the risk? If it was positioned differently maybe I use it more.

5. Surf link is awesome....... I tell most customers to add it, even if you wont use it right away... eventually you will.

6. The PTM racks are legit, they are super steep but I love them personally. Soulcrafts, wakeboards etc never had an issue and they are big enough to fit most boards even with a sock on. The holding power is good, to the point that I leave boards in them on the trek back to the house etc.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I can't believe nobody has asked for design pics! Let's see what you're thinking of, that's the most important part!

If I were to get a new boat, I'm definitely ordering so I can pick out every little option I want.

Comment

Z-cline is awesome.

I have 4 rev 10s. Had 2 to start with. I love having 4.

I wouldn't get the stock underwater lights. Go aftermarket. I have 2 shadowcasters and absolutely love them. One of the coolest features on the boat. I also have them mounted on top of my AVX using brackets. So no blockage.

If you spend any time at the cove... I feel like the transom remote is a must.

I have never used my surf link.

I have no experience with the clamp racks.
                  BABz - babzusa.com
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Thanks so much all! This has been really helpful. I know I'm going to hear a lot about how hard it will be to keep a blacked out boat clean, but I'm dillegent about wiping down and love keeping it clean. Hopefully you can see this link:

https://tige-build-3d-prd.s3.amazona...ld-summary.svg

Thanks Again!!

Comment

I also want to tint out windows, does anyone know if Tige will do that or need to be done aftermarket? Has anyone had an experience with that?

Thanks Again!

Comment

One thing to think about - we almost went with a black deck and our dealer talked us into going with the dark gray, and I'm glad he did. Unless you go with the deluxe paint, your interior is the same as the deck color.

You will get scratches on the inside and they will show since the white is right underneath, we already have a couple of fine lines here and there. In addition to that, the burn factor on the black is legit, if our swim deck is above water, the black edge gets your attention. The dark gray seems to reflect enough that it isn't too bad.

That said, I commend you on the black, look for my build thread ('17 Z3 on the way), we went with a classic black and red accent scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

just my .02 on the black. My boat is mainly black with some blue accents and some black flake. When its clean, nothing looks better, but in some ways I regret it cause when its really hot, it can burn you....and it does show scratches very easy. Totally a personal preference. The bottom of hull is the main regret cause I trailer, so impossible to not get scratches on bottom. Looks incredible tho. On options, I would get Z-Cline, the hours you will put on boat sitting there, will pay for itself on the comfort level. You can get much better underwater lights later that are much brighter too.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
                            just my .02 on the black. My boat is mainly black with some blue accents and some black flake. When its clean, nothing looks better, but in some ways I regret it cause when its really hot, it can burn you....and it does show scratches very easy. Totally a personal preference. The bottom of hull is the main regret cause I trailer, so impossible to not get scratches on bottom. Looks incredible tho. On options, I would get Z-Cline, the hours you will put on boat sitting there, will pay for itself on the comfort level. You can get much better underwater lights later that are much brighter too.
                            I hear ya on the black, my 14 has a black hull and as careful as you try to be, almost impossible not to get dings here and there. We live on a lake so it sits on a lift 99% of the time. So I'm not too worried about trailer scratches. I haven't noticed the black being too hot in my time on my 14. From what I heard, I'm definetly going with the Z cline chairs as an upgrade. Thanks for your help! My buddy has an almost all black MC pro star and it just looks awesome! He's very meticulous with wiping down every time and polishing it twice a year, so I feel if I do the black and keep on it, it will look sharp. His is 9 years old and looks like showroom condition. Of course he has a few swirls and scratches, but only can tell when you're right there. I'm concerned about the heat inside as I do have kids, and you're not the first person to mention this, but I simply haven't noticed on mine.. Thanks again.

Comment

Now that I'm thinking about this, I believe my 14 has white inside, are you talking about 17's coming with all black inside? I'll have to run down and check mine! Definetly need to consult with Tige about that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X