21v Locker Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v Locker Doors

The wood inside of my locker doors is starting to go bad and the screws don't holding the hinge anymore. I took the locker doors to a Marine Upholstery shop. When they peeled back the vinyl they found the doors are plywood and fiberglass laminated together. They suggested replacing with 3/4" starboard. Then applying the upholstery to the starboard similar to the plywood/fiberglass combo. Does anyone have experience with this? Our locker doors see a ton of traffic and I want to be sure they are strong enough...Thoughts?

My 21v had the same issue. I moved all my screws by drilling new holes in the hinges. That helped a bit but really the wood needed to be replaced. Had I done that I would have used starboard or similar. I think it's a good plan.

Comment

Word on the street is, the HDPE (starboard is just a brand name) will warp in the heat over those wide expansions more than wood.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Word on the street is, the HDPE (starboard is just a brand name) will warp in the heat over those wide expansions more than wood.
        I believe this. I have a few 3/4" 2x4 sheets of HDPE that I had stored upright in my cool basement and they bowed from their own weight. So I could see this being the case especially applying some heat into the mix.

Comment

When I built my trunk hatches, I used 1/2" marine ply. They are small though. I wouldn't hesitate to use 3/4" marine ply on 21v hatches. Marine ply is fairly amazing stuff. I've had a couple pieces I use for foundation vent locks for years now. Although discolored from the sun, snow, and rain, they haven't delammed in the slightest. I have no doubt marine ply will outlast marine vinyl. That HDPE gets real soft in the heat.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to the upholstery shop today, they agreed that marine plywood is going to be the better option, so that's the plan now.

Comment

Working...
            X