Prop shaft alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop shaft alignment

I just purchased my 05 Tige 22v earlier this year and have loved every second on it. I noticed that the prop takes two hands to turn when I put a new prop on. This got me thinking my alignment might be off. With deeper inspection i can clearly see that the shaft exits the hull well towards the port side of the opening. I took the back seat out and was trying to get access to the prop shaft but there is not much room to work. The engine alignment itself seems to be slightly to the port side in general could I try to move it slightly without disconnecting the coupler of the shaft? If not Does anyone have advice or tricks on how to access the shaft and realign as well as do I need to disconnect the PSS prior to unbolting coupler and adjusting alignment? Also what will I be looking for that would tell me I would need to replace more parts like the strut bushing or the PSS, etc. Sorry for the long post thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long answer
    I wouldn't open a can of worms. Is you alignment perfect....not quite...is it misaligned id say no. Just because your shaft isn't perfectly centered in your thru hull log doesn't mean its misaligned. If you have no vibrations or other abnormalities then you are fine. Up and down angles for engine alignment are typically easy to change but port and starboard are usually much tougher, especially depending on what style trunion bars you have. IF you really want to dig into it though I would start by loosening all the bolts in the coupler. If they easily come in and out then everything is aligned....if you have to fight em out and the coupler jumps way out of alignment from v-drive coupler then its worth digging into.

Short answer
    If it aint broke don't fix it

Comment

I just looked at mine and it's not perfectly aligned either for what it's worth...

Comment

It might take two hands to turn because the shaft bushings are dry.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I think I will let it be for a while and see if I notice any symptoms before opening the can of worms... I will stick with the short answer for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X