Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove flooring from a 2017 RZX3

Hey Gang,
    My boat arrive with the cuts in the flooring. They must have placed the prop there during shipment. Any how, getting the flooring up has proven to be a major PIA!!! My dealer has the replacement flooring on hand, but any suggestions on how to get a section of the old flooring off would be greatly appreciated.
    Best,

Hook up trailer, drive to dealer, unhook trailer, tell them to call when ready. Thats how id get the floor up. Not being sarcastic, dead serious, why are you having to deal with shipping damage.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That's exactly what should be done. It's a new boat!

Comment

EXACTLY! Thats not even a question, unless it was done after the fact!!! That has warranty written all over it... Good luck let us know.

Comment

Unless there was an agreement to DRASTICALLY lower the price of the RZX to remove and replace that flooring myself due to defect...and I am talking about MANY THOUSANDS of DOLLARS, the dealer should be handling this issue.
          Otherwise you may be looking at greatly diminishing the value of your investment.
          And I know I would regret that scenario for the entire time I owned it.

Really, follow chpthril's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 LKG View Post
            Hey Gang,
            My boat arrive with the cuts in the flooring. They must have placed the prop there during shipment. Any how, getting the flooring up has proven to be a major PIA!!! My dealer has the replacement flooring on hand, but any suggestions on how to get a section of the old flooring off would be greatly appreciated.
            Best,
            If you are having trouble getting anywhere with your dealer and need another avenue dont hesitate to message me and Ill see if I can help.
            Germaine Marine
            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

WOW, gang! The last thing I want to do is give the impression my dealer has been unresponsive. We enjoy a good working relationship. I've been satisfied enough to have purchased 3 boats (including 2 Tige') from my dealer in the past 3 years and he performs all service/maintenance. I have his cell # and am not afraid to text him if an issue arises. He has been gracious with his time and will text me detailed instructions if the issue is something I can attempt on my own (like a ballast pump that's lost it's prime). As a matter of fact, he stopped by my dock yesterday to replace the temp sensors on my RZX3 after they threw an error code.

I was informed there was an issue with the flooring being damaged before we ever took delivery last fall. When my dealer tried to obtain replacement flooring he was informed Tige’ ordered them as complete sets and didn’t have any individual pieces in inventory. I elected to take delivery so we could surf before it became too cold. When winterizing the boat, the dealer attempted to remove the flooring but it proved too difficult in the colder weather.

It is my understanding heat will make the flooring easier to remove. So, the plan is to await a nice hot, sunny day, park the boat in the sun for awhile then pull like hell :-) I was just wondering if any of you had any other suggestions that might work on a cloudy, 60 degree day. And while I truly appreciate Chpthrl's suggestion; I don't own a trailer.... My boats live on lifts.

The way I look at it, if I can do a little something to make my dealer's life a little easier, he will be there to make my life a LOT easier when I REALLY need him. I always try to be a good customer to the vendors who support me. So far, it's worked well, both with my business and personally.

Comment

If you can get a burnishing tool that comes in keel guard kits you can then file em down to make it sharp on one edge. Then as you pull and apply pressure use it to help cut the adhesive from the bottom of the seadeck. Kind of like skinning an animal if you've ever had the privilege. Don't cut buck and forth just one direction. If you cant get your hands on the tool out of the keel guard kit I imagine a plastic bondo knife or some other plastic scraper would do the same. Also helps to keep the tension close to the working edge if that makes sense...as you get it up don't just keep pulling as you gain ground, or it will just tear and you have to start over. Also watch as you peel, if it starts to tear(usually a triangle shape forms) stop and address that spot or else the tear will just spread. Heat helps, if you have power at your slip and extra hands you can use an electric heat gun to warm the areas in front of where you are pulling.
                Regardless pull the stuff up is a shitty job. Your fingertips will hurt by the end of the job and most of the work is pulling with them. Get a can or tow of 3m general purpose adhesive cleaner. If any adhesive reside stays behind on gel coat spray it on and let it soak in for a minute or two then remove it. Laying large pieces seadeck/gatorstep is tricky as well and could give you some pointers as well. PM me when you get to that point so this doesn't turn into the longest post ever

Comment

Heat it up with a heat gun and pry with a plastic scraper.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.....

Comment

On Thursday my dealer stopped by to fix this issue. The heat gun/scraper solution led to burnt fingers and little progress. Next up was a tool called a Rockwell Sonicrafter with a scraping blade. This did the trick nicely. The job took a bit more than two hours to remove the largest piece of Seadeck on the boat, clean up and install the new piece. I'm very pleased with the job my dealer did. We had a beautiful boat for Memorial Day weekend. You'd never know there was an issue.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Comment

It's great that you got it all fixed but I'm still having a mindsplosion over the fact that you had to lift a finger to fix a brand new, $130k boat......

Comment

Originally posted by BurnMac42 View Post
                          It's great that you got it all fixed but I'm still having a mindsplosion over the fact that you had to lift a finger to fix a brand new, $130k boat......
                          He didn't have have to he said he wanted to do it they have a good relationship he explained his reasoning a few post up

Comment

Originally posted by BurnMac42 View Post
                            I didn't lift any fingers (other than to ask the question on this thread). The dealer took care of it. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 LKG View Post
                              I didn't lift any fingers (other than to ask the question on this thread). The dealer took care of it. Case closed.
                              Gotcha sorry....I read the first post and I guess incorrectly read it as the dealer wasn't at first going to do the work.

Comment

Working...
                              X